What's new

League of Extraordinary Mild Shavers

Okay. That means I could buy a different handle.
The tendons in my thumb is shot to hell. I need a fatter grippier handle.

I mix and match handles all the time.

You might also like the Black Tiger razor. It's a similar design, and also costs very little. But it's all stainless steel and the handle is more substantial.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Is the Merkur 34 HD considered mild?
It is my favorite razor.
If not, what does the Illuminati reccomend?
The Yingjili is one of the mildest double edge razors I have used, about the same as Zamack Tech's from the late 60's.
A Tech is under consideration.
I’ve been following the Tech Clone thread. I’m more inclined to get a vintage Tech.
The Yingjili costs only a few bucks. I have some vintage Tech's but there's really little reason to buy one now days, there are so many decent clones out there.
Okay. That means I could buy a different handle.
The tendons in my thumb is shot to hell. I need a fatter grippier handle.

With respect to my fellow 'Tech Fanatic' @FireDragon76 , my advice is to get a vintage Tech from the Pre-war through 1950s period and equip it with a Maggard MR11 handle.

In my opinion, the vintage Tech (especially if it is a Canadian Pre-war, English Flat Bottom or mid-1950s English #24) will be more comfortable and provide a better overall shave (and shaving experience).

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I mix and match handles all the time.

You might also like the Black Tiger razor. It's a similar design, and also costs very little. But it's all stainless steel and the handle is more substantial.

Of all of the Clones I have tried, I like the Black Tiger the best. I'd still get a Maggard MR11. ;)

With respect to my fellow 'Tech Fanatic' @FireDragon76 , my advice is to get a vintage Tech from the Pre-war through 1950s period and equip it with a Maggard MR11 handle.

In my opinion, the vintage Tech (especially if it is a Canadian Pre-war, English Flat Bottom or mid-1950s English #24) will be more comfortable and provide a better overall shave (and shaving experience).

The Yingjili costs only a few bucks. I have some vintage Tech's but there's really little reason to buy one now days, there are so many decent clones out there.

Where is the best place to shop for a Flat Bottom Tech?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Where is the best place to shop for a Flat Bottom Tech?

I would put up a Want To Buy (WTB) thread in the B&B Buy-Sell-Trade room.You will get a better razor for less money than scouring eBay. At the same time, you can certainly set up a search in eBay for something like "gillette english flat bottom tech razor".

Personally, though, I'd be patient and see what turns up here.

I would put up a Want To Buy (WTB) thread in the B&B Buy-Sell-Trade room.You will get a better razor for less money than scouring eBay. At the same time, you can certainly set up a search in eBay for something like "gillette english flat bottom tech razor".

Personally, though, I'd be patient and see what turns up here.

Thanks!

At lunch I ordered my first Tech. It’s a gold plated, brass post war, Tech. It will arrive after Christmas. I’ll post a review n the first shave.

SOTD: First Shave: Gillette Post War Tech, Personna Red (1), Schaffmilch, Colonel x2L

This was my first shave with my new Tech which arrived Saturday afternoon.
Now I know what all the enthusiasm is about.
The first shave was a bit scratchy at the beginning.
It's not too common, but every so often, a new Personna Red is a bit rough at first and then gets smoother during the shave. Ordinarily they are sharp and smooth start to finish.
Overall the shave was smooth and comfortable.
The first pass was efficient, and surprisingly comfortable.
I used a fairly shallow angle riding the cap.
At times I didn't feel the blade but heard it.
The first pass was remarkably smooth.
The Second pass was XTG and very smooth and clean.
I shaved XTG from my left ear towards my right ear below my jaw because I have a significant band of growth in that direction below the jaw line.
Nailed it!
My third pass was touchups around my mouth and below the right corner of my jaw.
Overall, a smooth and comfortable shave with no cuts, nicks, or weepers.
There was a bit of mild irritation on my right cheek where my shave started.
I will pay more attention to my angle and pressure tomorrow.
Perhaps "Mister Hands" thought he needed to control this razor.

I would like to apply for membership in the League of Extraordinarily Mild Shavers.

SOTD
Post WarTech, Haslinger’s Sandalwood, Personna Red, Stirling Fine Badger

A smooth, efficient, comfortable shave.
Happy Monday!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200103

20200103_151652~2.jpg

Prep: Splashed water on face
Pre-shave: Cremo
Brush: TurnNShave 25mm Boss Synthetic, Chess handle
Soap: Pre de Provence No. 63
Bowl: Timeless Blue
Razor: Gillette Post-war Fat Handle Tech (Canada)
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Post-shave: Crystal Alum Stick, Dickinson's Hydrating Toner
Aftershave Balm: Duke Cannon Ice Cold
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Vanilla

WTG, ATG with some XTG touch-up and buffing.

DFS++ with one weeper, no nicks, cuts, or irritation.

9++/10

Continuing my 2020 Resolution to stop chasing BBS!

Canadian Post-war Fat Handle Tech + Wizamet Super Iridium + Pre de Provence No. 63 = a fantastic Damn Fine Shave. So comfortable and relaxed.

Love it!

SOTD

Gillette New SC, Schaffmilch, Personna Red (7), Colonel x2L

WTG, XTG, Touch up under corner of my jaw.
Smooth and comfortable

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200104

20200104_151322~2.jpg

Prep: Splashed water on face
Pre-shave: Cremo
Brush: TurnNShave 25mm Boss Synthetic, Chess handle
Soap: Pre de Provence No. 63
Bowl: Timeless Blue
Razor: Gillette Pre-war Fat Handle Tech (Canada)
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (2)
Post-shave: Crystal Alum Stick, Dickinson's Hydrating Toner
Aftershave Balm: Duke Cannon Ice Cold
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Vanilla

WTG, ATG with some XTG touch-up and buffing.

BBS (wife approved) with one small weeper under my nose (my fault - depth perception was a bit off without my glasses ;)), zero nicks, cuts, or irritation.

Continuing my 2020 Resolution to stop chasing BBS!

Canadian Pre-war Fat Handle Tech + Wizamet Super Iridium + Pre de Provence No. 63 = a BBS without trying. Comfortable, relaxed, smooth. The Pre-war Fat Handle Tech and the Post-war Fat Handle Tech are both absolute joys to use. This is no stress shaving!

Differences? To my face, the Pre-war seems to be a bit more efficient. The Pre-war also seems to provide a bit more audible feedback (not surprising since the Post-war clamps/supports the blade slightly better).

Love to shave with both of these razors and both deliver excellent shaves.

YMMV

Top Bottom