What's new

Brushless Shavers Society: BSS

Brushless shaving can be just as interesting and fun as using a brush. To discuss the fine art of getting a great shave without a brush, I thought it would be a good idea to start the Brushless Shavers Society or BSS.

This is the place to discuss foams, gels, brushless creams, electric razors and any other products that give a great shave without the need for a brush.

I'm a big fan of Nivea foam and use it a lot in rotation with my brushes and soaps. I get equally good shaves with it.

What are some of your favourites? Why do you use brushless products? Educate us on the fine art of brushless shaving!

Great idea 👍
And what about the 1919 as a standalone product?
As a standalone, the 1919 tends to gum up the razor. I have to spend a little extra time rinsing it. For me it works best in the shower as a standalone. The high flow shower nozzle cleans up the razor quickly. But I rarely shave in the shower. ... But combine it with soap or canned foam, it no longer gums up the razor. I think the foam or soap helps break it down quickly. It's a great way to level up your shave.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm a big fan of badger brushes and have a small rotation of them.... but we have a 3 week trip to Bali and I want to lighten the packing load so I'm going brushless... I just bought some Pacific natural shaving cream and some Cremo.... I have skin that is reactive to the ingredients used to add scents to soaps... I could feel the Pacific..... just because its natural doesn't mean I won't react. I felt a bit of tingling after the shave... I'll try the Cremo next.. it's actually an unscented product.

I do have some Edge Sensitive gel around... That one works well for me. I used it just the other day with my old Gillette Fusion Power..... I had a decent, though not as close as usual, with it.

Brushless for 4/5 shaves minimally. I just enjoy working a cream or soap in with my hands rather than a brush. The biggest exception is when I use Pre de Provence 63 soap which is pretty much stuck in the tin. Even an Arko stick can be lathered easily by hand.

Favorites include Speick Cream, Jack Black Beard Lube, Cremo, Pacific, and Proraso Red cream.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Brushless for 4/5 shaves minimally. I just enjoy working a cream or soap in with my hands rather than a brush. The biggest exception is when I use Pre de Provence 63 soap which is pretty much stuck in the tin. Even an Arko stick can be lathered easily by hand.

Favorites include Speick Cream, Jack Black Beard Lube, Cremo, Pacific, and Proraso Red cream.
I bought some Cremo unscented and what I thought was Pacific unscented to bring along with me on this 3 week trip... I got the "Natural" Pacific by mistake and my skin reacts to the citrus, I think....

The Cremo isn't pleasant for me... It is slick but I won't be buying it again... How do you like the Pacific and which one did you buy?

Last edited:
@Phoenixkh

I am a bit lucky in that fragrances do not bother my face and I can use a multitude of products.

I like, but don't love, the Cremo. It is a bit fussy to get the water/cream ratio just right. Post shave feel is average.

The Pacific I use is the "Natural" formulation and is not fragrance-free. I do like it, and it performs better for me than Cremo by a good bit.

My other two favorites, which wasn't clear in the message above, are the Jack Black Beard Lube and Speick Cream. The JB has excellent post-shave feel. I am interested in trying their brush-friendly cream soon. The scent is light but may still be a bother to you.

The Speick works quite well by hand or by brush. Again, not scent-free, but I feel like it is really good for my skin overall.

I believe that Kiss My Face makes a scent-free formulation, and it gets very good reviews. You may want to look into that one.

Best of luck and Safe Travels!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thank you for the reply.... I think I'm going to get the Pacific Unscented as I like the way the Natural performs and feels throughout and after the shave.... I think I'll end up liking it much better than the Cremo. I used the Cremo just a few hours ago and it works well.... but feels odd on my hands and face during the shave and after too.... The Natural Pacific doesn't have that odd feel to it so I think it will end up being a better choice to bring along when I don't want to pack a brush. We have an overnight stay at our son's place to help watch our new granddaughter every week.... Sometimes, I shave the night before, sometimes, I shave there. We leave around 5AM and that dictates my shaving pattern. <eg>

I've read good things about the Jack Beard products and the Speick... but as you say, neither makes a scent free product at the moment.

Top Bottom