What's new

League of Extraordinary Mild Shavers

I love mild razor! I will never use another. It's just so perfect. I never thought shaving could be so fun.

Attachments

• 20210330_165913.jpg
    20210330_165913.jpg
    929.7 KB · Views: 28
I enjoy a milder shave myself. A Rockwell 6C with plate 2 and a Polsilver Iridium is a simply delightful experience for me personally. My Slim Adjustable usually sits on setting 3 most days. My Feather Popular doesn't get a ton of use but it's another mild razor I enjoy using. I'm still looking for my first Gillette Tech but it is the next vintage razor on my bucket list.

Do those get me in?

I love mild razor! I will never use another. It's just so perfect. I never thought shaving could be so fun.
On Friday I was the highest bidder of Feather AS-D2 on Ebay! I've been wanting one of these razors for quite some time and I'm really looking forward to trying it. The last couple of months I've been shaving with a Henson AL-13 Mild and I've been getting amazing results. Mild is definitely works for me!

On Friday I was the highest bidder of Feather AS-D2 on Ebay! I've been wanting one of these razors for quite some time and I'm really looking forward to trying it. The last couple of months I've been shaving with a Henson AL-13 Mild and I've been getting amazing results. Mild is definitely works for me!
Let us know your thoughts. Enjoy!

Surprisingly, this thread has been dead for a while. I even had trouble finding it because I forgot the title. I started shaving with a mild shaver (Feather AS-D2) over a year ago after several years struggling with a more aggressive razor and have never looked back. I rarely get nicks compared with frequent bleeders with non-mild razors. I've also been successful with every blade I've tried. It does take me a bit longer to shave with a mild shaver, mostly because of chin area touch-ups. It also seems that with the AS-D2, the razor blade fits perfectly due to its precision construction.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Surprisingly, this thread has been dead for a while. I even had trouble finding it because I forgot the title. I started shaving with a mild shaver (Feather AS-D2) over a year ago after several years struggling with a more aggressive razor and have never looked back. I rarely get nicks compared with frequent bleeders with non-mild razors. I've also been successful with every blade I've tried. It does take me a bit longer to shave with a mild shaver, mostly because of chin area touch-ups. It also seems that with the AS-D2, the razor blade fits perfectly due to its precision construction.
I think the trend right now is for razors with substantially more blade feel than the AS-D2 provides, as it seems the gaps keep getting wider on the most popular razors lately. I do have a Karve SBG that I use occasionally, and a Vector, but I could go on.

I just go my Feather AS-D2 and put a Kai blade in for my third shave and it was wonderfully smooth. I'm used to blade feel and there was almost nothing. Granted it took an extra pass and still isn't as close as I can get some of my more "efficient" razors, but a delicate touch is not required for a nice comfortable smooth shave as it is with them.
20221105_104327.jpg

The blade does make a difference.

~doug~

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I seem to like those "mild but efficient" razors. I do have two more aggressive razors in the queue: the RR Lupo 95OC and the Muhle R41. I have no idea how I'll get along with those two. It's sort of an inexpensive experiment before I try one of the more costly options somewhere down the line if I like them.

I shave with two types of razors. My Gillette Fat Boy set at two is my travel razor and my AS-D2 is my home double-edge razor. Feather blades are used in both of them. Most of my shaves are done with a straight razor. The AS-D2 and the Fat Boy set at two are the only razors that can match the efficiency and mildness of a good straight razor shave. The secret to achieving mild, efficient shaves is in the blade's angle. It's not the gap... MHO...YMMV...

I think the trend right now is for razors with substantially more blade feel than the AS-D2 provides, as it seems the gaps keep getting wider on the most popular razors lately. I do have a Karve SBG that I use occasionally, and a Vector, but I could go on.

I just go my Feather AS-D2 and put a Kai blade in for my third shave and it was wonderfully smooth. I'm used to blade feel and there was almost nothing. Granted it took an extra pass and still isn't as close as I can get some of my more "efficient" razors, but a delicate touch is not required for a nice comfortable smooth shave as it is with them.
View attachment 1552144
The blade does make a difference.

~doug~
I hadn't thought about a trend toward razors with more blade feel. I do get a mild to moderate blade feel with my AS D2. The selling point for me is that is is soooo smooth and I get no skin irritation. I'll have to try with a KAI blade. Right now I'm working my way through a 100-pack of U.S. made Personna blades.

I shave with two types of razors. My Gillette Fat Boy set at two is my travel razor and my AS-D2 is my home double-edge razor. Feather blades are used in both of them. Most of my shaves are done with a straight razor. The AS-D2 and the Fat Boy set at two are the only razors that can match the efficiency and mildness of a good straight razor shave. The secret to achieving mild, efficient shaves is in the blade's angle. It's not the gap... MHO...YMMV...
I've never shaved with a straight razor and have always imagined it to be rough and dangerous, so your comment about the mildness and efficiency of an AS D2 compared to a straight razor shave is a surprising comparison. I've used Feathers with the AS D2, and they work great. You hit the nail on the head with surgical precision: angle, angle,angle. Get that right and a great shave is ensured.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I am a mild razor shaver, I guess? Have owned, tried and sold razors like the R41. I definitely don’t like DE razors with wide gaps. I also don’t care for the modern, very heavy stainless steel razors of today.

My first DE 12 years ago was the Merkur 33C classic. Very mild razor. Over the years I have bought and sold many kinds and have learned to shave with many different types of razors.

The ones I have kept and still use today, represent the lightest in weight and mildest in shaving.

My favorite DE? Is a Gillette Blue. Thin Tech head, small brass base plate, plastic handle and a small thin blade gap. But I have learned that I can make it as aggressive as I want it to be by using pressure.

SE? GEM Pushbutton. SE doesn’t get lighter or milder then a push button. :)

I only have and use one straight, a Dovo Bismarck. It was a gift, but I only use it every great while on special occasions because I’m lazy and don’t want to strop every time before my shave or maintain it with 3m and Cr0x.

I mostly use lightweight Shavette’s, like Dovo or Parker. My favorite Shavette’s are probably the Sanguine R5 and a Italian Magic barber’s Shavette. All very lightweight and I can get very close, but mild on the skin, irritation free shaves.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I am a mild razor shaver, I guess? Have owned, tried and sold razors like the R41. I definitely don’t like DE razors with wide gaps. I also don’t care for the modern, very heavy stainless steel razors of today.

My first DE 12 years ago was the Merkur 33C classic. Very mild razor. Over the years I have bought and sold many kinds and have learned to shave with many different types of razors.

The ones I have kept and still use today, represent the lightest in weight and mildest in shaving.

My favorite DE? Is a Gillette Blue. Thin Tech head, small brass base plate, plastic handle and a small thin blade gap. But I have learned that I can make it as aggressive as I want it to be by using pressure.

SE? GEM Pushbutton. SE doesn’t get lighter or milder then a push button. :)

I only have and use one straight, a Dovo Bismarck. It was a gift, but I only use it every great while on special occasions because I’m lazy and don’t want to strop every time before my shave or maintain it with 3m and Cr0x.

I mostly use lightweight Shavette’s, like Dovo or Parker. My favorite Shavette’s are probably the Sanguine R5 and a Italian Magic barber’s Shavette. All very lightweight and I can get very close, but mild on the skin, irritation free shaves.
I keep hearing good things about the Gillette Blue. Do you know the best place to get them from?

~doug~

OkieStubble

I keep hearing good things about the Gillette Blue. Do you know the best place to get them from?

~doug~

I got mine from eBay many years ago. I think it shipped from China. It cost me 4 bucks, might have even been free shipping I can’t remember. :)

I have had many vintage Gillette’s and super speeds and Techs, so it makes it hard to believe that a cheap 4 dollar razor could beat them all.

But the blue’s Tech shaped head is soooo thin and light and it’s plastic handle isn’t too short or too long, it can be maneuvered around the face with skill and precision, like an artist’s brush or surgeons scalpel.

Because of it’s crazy lightweight, I can make the shave as light and milder then any other DE razor made; or I can use pressure and make it as aggressive as an apple or potato peeler.

It could literally peel the skin off of your face if you wanted it too. In fact, because of it’s ability to shave so close even accidentally if your skill isn’t honed, I wouldn’t recommend it to a beginner.

The Gillette Blue belongs only in the skilled hand of a DE shaver who has logged in some time and experience.

I prefer a Shavette over a Straight because the razor blade of a Shavette gives me a closer, smoother shave a straight can’t duplicate imo.

The Gillette Blue gives me the same kind of close feeling as a Shavette. I’ve never had a DE do that before owning the Blue.

OkieStubble

I have been using this set up for the Thanksgiving holiday week.

Razor: the wonderfully mild and smooth yet very, very close Gillette Super Blue

Soap: L’Occitane Cade. Ya don’t hear much about this triple milled hard soap that lasts a lifetime anymore. But I swear when you swirl a wet synthetic brush on top of it to load? The soap loading on the brush bristles looks very creamy. Like a cream? :)

Blade: Polsilver SI. I get 7 great shaves from a blade. I don’t throw it out too early and never try to push it past to an 8th.

Brush: Plisson Maison du Barbier Synthetic Brush. 22mm Plisson knot with a durable and cost effective acrylic handle. Not too floppy, not too scrubby or stiff. Pampers my face when face lathering and lathers like nobody’s business. Everything a growing boy (beard needs).

:)

AS: Bootlegger’s Original Bay Rum. Smells like the holidays should smell. Pretty sure Santa uses it when he trims up his frosty white. :)

1B8EE640-C797-4F87-B71B-5F4CEDCC6A0A.jpeg

D993923C-4C96-4AE6-AEB4-348F9CAE839A.jpeg

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
Saturday 11.26.22

DSC_5022.png

RAZOR: Gillette '40s Brit Thin Handle FBT
BLADE: NOS Wilkinson Sword made in England
BRUSH: Vtg. Fuller brush 22mm silvertip badger
LATHER: Ethos Lavender Supreme Premium Shave Soap

YnnI54F.jpg

Top Bottom