What's new

Battle of the Precision Milds

The more razors I try the more I lean towards mild with a sharp blade (this seems to be a common pattern here). I want to buy a new precision-engineered, hi-tech razor to be my "last" razor. (I know, I know, but I'm giving it a shot; I didn't say last soap though!) I don't want to pull the trigger on the wrong pick and keep adding to the pile, especially at this price range, so I'm writing here asking for help in making an educated decision. The razors on my radar are the Hone Type 15, Feather AS-D2, and Henson AL13. There is also Tatara, but I use KAI blades and read here that the two are incompatible.

I bought a Henson already and it gets a lot of things right, but is not the razor for me. I like the effortless perfect reveal, the handle length, and the smooth, open wash channels. I like the curved sides of the head that seat between your pinch. I don't like the handle design, the weight, or the other aspects of the head design. I prefer smooth profile knurling to the disruptive raised bars and slightly more weight. I don't like that you need to hold the head steeper than flush to get the right angle, defeating the purpose of the design. I don't like that it can't get as steep as conventional heads because of how high it rises above the reveal. I do miss having a bar that flattens the skin with minor pressure. I'm honestly not sure where I stand on the extreme clamping; part of me feels it's less accommodating to the human condition.

I worry that the Hone 15s might be too heavy and slippery, so I'm considering the 15a. The logic being, light will want to slip less. Do let me know your experience between the two. I'm especially curious to know if the smooth handle gives any grip at all.

I don't know much about the AS-D2 except that many people like it, it has those horizontal blade holders instead of posts (like the Henson), and has an obnoxious logo on the head (like the Hone but more so) unfitting for its price point.

What precision milds do you recommend for a great shave and why? Both on and off my radar.

Gillette Tech. Like $15. Plus history.
AS-D2 is essentially a modern SS Tech variant - Very well designed, built, and balanced for an all stainless razor.
Very mild, so use of a top-tier blade is very much recommended.

game changer .68 not to pricey solid construction fit and finish. its a lifetime razor if you like it. I also second a vote for a nice Tech with a brass cap
RazoRock GC.68p is also a great SS option. Is less mild than the AS-D2, but not what I would call aggressive.

I was going to suggest Tatara Masamune and Karve Overlander too.

I’m not sure why someone would say Tatara is incompatible with Kai blades. I don’t find Kai particularly sharp, but I liked it in my Masamune almost as much as a Nacet, which is definitely sharp.

Overlander I find very similar to Henson, but it doesn’t have some of the characteristics you disliked in Henson, so it might work for you. To me, it’s a bit more aggressive than the Henson medium, but still not all that aggressive.

I haven’t tried a Tech or Game Changer myself, but those are mild (the GC .68 is anyway), popular, and cheaper.

Good luck, let us know what you decide, and how you like it!

You said you wanted a new razor, and I interpreted that as "new as in not vintage". If you're willing to go vintage there's other options. Like a blue tip Superspeed, Fatboy, or Slim? Techs were always mild for me except when sometimes they weren't; they're small gap but positive exposure.

I’m gonna muddy the waters even more. I love my R89 on a stainless steel handle. Recently I’ve been enjoying a Mamba70 from RazoRock. Nice and mild like the R89 but smoother, more efficient and of high quality. Yet another option to consider.

Here's the RazorRock scale (for their razors) and their match-up with razors from other makers:

I have a Lupo Aluminum (which is fully machined, very similar to the Lupo 0.58, but less expensive), and it is, indeed, a "mild-to-medium" razor, when used with a Feather blade.

I'll try it with an Astra SP soon, and see if it becomes just "mild".

If you're really looking for something mild, something in the lowest bubble on their chart (or the lowest-aggressiveness non-Razorock razors) would be a decent bet.

The more razors I try the more I lean towards mild with a sharp blade (this seems to be a common pattern here). I want to buy a new precision-engineered, hi-tech razor to be my "last" razor. (I know, I know, but I'm giving it a shot; I didn't say last soap though!) I don't want to pull the trigger on the wrong pick and keep adding to the pile, especially at this price range, so I'm writing here asking for help in making an educated decision. The razors on my radar are the Hone Type 15, Feather AS-D2, and Henson AL13. There is also Tatara, but I use KAI blades and read here that the two are incompatible.

I bought a Henson already and it gets a lot of things right, but is not the razor for me. I like the effortless perfect reveal, the handle length, and the smooth, open wash channels. I like the curved sides of the head that seat between your pinch. I don't like the handle design, the weight, or the other aspects of the head design. I prefer smooth profile knurling to the disruptive raised bars and slightly more weight. I don't like that you need to hold the head steeper than flush to get the right angle, defeating the purpose of the design. I don't like that it can't get as steep as conventional heads because of how high it rises above the reveal. I do miss having a bar that flattens the skin with minor pressure. I'm honestly not sure where I stand on the extreme clamping; part of me feels it's less accommodating to the human condition.

I worry that the Hone 15s might be too heavy and slippery, so I'm considering the 15a. The logic being, light will want to slip less. Do let me know your experience between the two. I'm especially curious to know if the smooth handle gives any grip at all.

I don't know much about the AS-D2 except that many people like it, it has those horizontal blade holders instead of posts (like the Henson), and has an obnoxious logo on the head (like the Hone but more so) unfitting for its price point.

What precision milds do you recommend for a great shave and why? Both on and off my radar.
After reading your post I thought instantly of my new Chiseled Face Legacy razor. I believe it fits what you want. HERE's my post from when I'd just received it (plenty of photos for you to inspect). I got the aluminum version because I like LIGHT (and that's the cheapest too), but it's available in plenty of different alloys.

I hope that's of some help.

1708872011973.png

Awesome suggestions boys! I've got a lot of research to do now. Thanks for taking the time to write.

Nothing regarding the Hone, huh? Was very curious to hear how it performs.

Top Bottom