What's new

Karve vs. Muhle R41 (post 2013) vs...

You are describing my (and others) experience with the Fatip Testina Gentile. The smoothness is very deceptive and one becomes careless with what is a respectably efficient razor. Eventually one learns to properly weild the instrument.
Are you saying I don't know how to hold the razor yet?

Tonight’s shave was stellar.

A880EE56-1019-41FE-9376-A9F1D03598B1.jpeg

These Russian blades are by far the best I’ve tried in this razor yet. I honestly could have been using the back of a butter knife to remove the lather, and I’d have never known the difference! And no post shave irritation!

Whew! I was losing hope. Of course the C plate should be here next week (man Canada post sucks! Talk about slow!). The F open comb will get here... we’ll, whenever lol. I can’t wait to try them. It’ll be a whole new razor!

But in the meantime, I also bought a Parker adjustable.

View attachment 979138

These Russian blades are by far the best I’ve tried in this razor yet. I honestly could have been using the back of a butter knife to remove the lather, and I’d have never known the difference! And no post shave irritation!

Whew! I was losing hope. Of course the C plate should be here next week (man Canada post sucks! Talk about slow!). The F open comb will get here... we’ll, whenever lol. I can’t wait to try them. It’ll be a whole new razor!

Hopefully that heavyweight will work for you as well

View attachment 979138

I've enjoyed reading your comparison, thanks for posting it.

I'm going to suggest you not draw a hard conclusion on the Karve system, until you use an OC plate. I've hit a point where only an OC razor really gives me the shave experience I desire. I just don't get as good a shave with a SB head. I do use an R41 on rare occasion, though. And looking at the design of R41, with its huge & deep baseplate scallops, it seems to me to have as much - or more - in common with an OC, as an SB. This would seem to be even more likely if used at a steep angle, as it seems a few here prefer with the R41.

So yeah, with all that being said I'd wait for your OC Karve plate. It's essentially a different head, when you think about it.

I'm going to suggest you not draw a hard conclusion on the Karve system, until you use an OC plate. I've hit a point where only an OC razor really gives me the shave experience I desire. I just don't get as good a shave with a SB head. I do use an R41 on rare occasion, though. And looking at the design of R41, with its huge & deep baseplate scallops, it seems to me to have as much - or more - in common with an OC, as an SB. This would seem to be even more likely if used at a steep angle, as it seems a few here prefer with the R41.

So yeah, with all that being said I'd wait for your OC Karve plate. It's essentially a different head, when you think about it.
Thank you for posting! I have to admit that it's been a little discouraging. Today was the second shave with Voskhod, and it wasn't nearly as good as the first. All and all, the razor just kind of under performs for me. I'm not sure if I'll shave with it again, or just wait for the C SB or E OC plate and then try again. I love the feel of the razor in my hands. I love the look. And for all intent and purpose, the thing shaves well, it just leaves me feeling raw about ten minutes after the shave... which is a tough sell when I can get a closer shave with my 41 with no irritation whatsoever.

You really should try Slant head razors
To start get Putali Slant for just $20 and send it back if it doesn't work for you

Spider makes interesting comparison between the Karve and Yuma razors. Surprisingly he thinks the Yuma is better for those who like smooth shaving.

So yesterday I decided to "doll" up my Karve. It dresses up nicely.

006B0E32-8BE0-4820-9410-C6BABD617F6B.jpeg

I really like the way it looks.

CEC95C61-99F1-4367-93F3-242B10BC7261.jpeg

Attachments

• F2D87362-880C-4BFA-A94E-FA23F4F506F6.jpeg
    F2D87362-880C-4BFA-A94E-FA23F4F506F6.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 30
Karve is coming out with their stainless at the end of the month (according to rumor). I saw on Facebook that someone asked if the Stainless would be compatible with the brass plates. Here was the answer.

9D492DC0-E59D-41AB-8E62-D96BC43FF0F7.jpeg

That’s pretty cool!

@Earcutter , I have a Karve F sb plate, if you would like to try it to compare to the R41 pm me your address and I will mail it to you to try.

Last edited:
@Earcutter , I have a Karve F sb plate, if you would like to try it to compare to the R41 pm me your address and I will mail it to you to try.
Thanks brother. That’s an awesome offer. Awesome. One I’d take you up on if I needed to, because I really want to love this razor - but I’m getting some plates in next week according to tracking. So thanks but I don’t need it.

I’ve got a C and an F coming in. The F will be an oc. I can’t wait to see how they shave!

Thanks again! That’s awesome.

Last edited:
Man that looks great, mine will be here Monday, what’d you do to it?

I’m asking because I want to do it too!
Well first you need to “age” the bronze where you want it darkened. I went online to see how to age bronze on the cheap. Everything that was recommended, that was stuff you’d find around the house, didn’t work worth a darn, so I went to Amazon and typed in “Bronze antiquing solution.”

After you get those areas you want darkened dark, off you go with the sanding.

So know this. Bronze is an easily marred metal. So I used 600 grit sandpaper. Worked just great. But don’t forget to sand in the exact same direction or it’ll look pretty scuffed up.

It really looks awesome, but I don’t know how it’ll age now as compared to the sand blasted finish. All said and done. I figure if the razor becomes a daily driver, it would take a little revamping every month to keep it looking spectacular.

Good luck!

Thanks brother. That’s an awesome offer. Awesome. One I’d take you up on if I needed to, because I really want to love this razor - but I’m getting some plates in next week according to tracking. So thanks but I don’t need it.

I’ve got a C and an F coming in. The F will be an oc. I can’t wait to see how they shave!

Thanks again! That’s awesome.
No problem, I love the karve but the F was more than I could handle for every day shaving. Good luck.

Update:

Ok gents, with me waiting on my plates from Karve, I thought i’d throw the Parker into the mix until they arrived. I’ve wanted to try it for a while. I love the idea of adjusting on the fly.

I know they say this is a 1 to 5 adjustable, but mine is 1 to 8. I can rotate it past the 5 to the 3 again without the head becoming even the least amount loose. I wish it “clicked” when it adjusts, but because it doesn’t, i’ll guess that you can fine tune it way more than one that does though, so there’s that.

8D0C4B96-71FC-4302-BBDD-B3E4D9B0180F.jpeg

Today was my first shave with it. I started on 3.
CDAA0073-1279-41C8-9F9B-4B43073E3D12.jpeg

But after a half cheek, I adjusted it to 4. I cut my Adam’s apple right away lol! Dang it. This thing is freaking aggressive!

The shave was comfortable, but no where near as comfortable as the Karve. It’s also pretty loud. Anyway, let me tell you no post burn, and almost as close as a R41 shave. Maybe as close? I’ll know tomorrow. Wow.

Ok, common complaints with this razor are that the head is too big for under the nose. Yup, it’s the only area that’s not BBS. But it’s my first shave so... the other is that it’s too heavy and unwieldy. The Karve is a 3”, the Parker is a 4.3”. So I can’t compare them fairly. But compared to my 41 Rose Gold with the 4” handle, the Parker is a pig where the 41 is a Ferrari.

All in all, I’m shocked I got such a great shave with it on its first run with my favorite Personna Red Blade’s. It’s no where near as sexy as the Karve or 41 in my opinion, but it’s a contender.

I’ll keep going on with all three. I’m not going to add anymore to the mix. Famous last words eh... lol.

Top Bottom