What's new

Karve vs. Muhle R41 (post 2013) vs...

Update:

Ok gents, with me waiting on my plates from Karve, I thought i’d throw the Parker into the mix until they arrived. I’ve wanted to try it for a while. I love the idea of adjusting on the fly.

I know they say this is a 1 to 5 adjustable, but mine is 1 to 8. I can rotate it past the 5 to the 3 again without the head becoming even the least amount loose. I wish it “clicked” when it adjusts, but because it doesn’t, i’ll guess that you can fine tune it way more than one that does though, so there’s that.

View attachment 979943

Today was my first shave with it. I started on 3. View attachment 979942

But after a half cheek, I adjusted it to 4. I cut my Adam’s apple right away lol! Dang it. This thing is freaking aggressive!

The shave was comfortable, but no where near as comfortable as the Karve. It’s also pretty loud. Anyway, let me tell you no post burn, and almost as close as a R41 shave. Maybe as close? I’ll know tomorrow. Wow.

Ok, common complaints with this razor are that the head is too big for under the nose. Yup, it’s the only area that’s not BBS. But it’s my first shave so... the other is that it’s too heavy and unwieldy. The Karve is a 3”, the Parker is a 4.3”. So I can’t compare them fairly. But compared to my 41 Rose Gold with the 4” handle, the Parker is a pig where the 41 is a Ferrari.

All in all, I’m shocked I got such a great shave with it on its first run with my favorite Personna Red Blade’s. It’s no where near as sexy as the Karve or 41 in my opinion, but it’s a contender.

I’ll keep going on with all three. I’m not going to add anymore to the mix. Famous last words eh... lol.
Yes it is beautiful but too heavy, only Qshave and other Futur clones, but not the original Futur, have the right weight for me. If you like so heavy razor you should also try Vikings Blade Emperor Augustus which you can send back to Amazon if you don't like it

I have a Karve with OCB and SBE. I'm a daily shaver. I'd like to try a more aggressive OC, so I look forward to hearing what you think of the OCF.

The Parker is impressive! I figured out how to get under the nose and now i’ve got bbs throughout. D a n g!

Excellent! What #?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
So it’s crazy. I started at 3.5 because I had light growth, by the last pass I was up to 4.5.

I don’t know why people go down. So far I start low and get more aggressive as the shave progresses. The razor is gentle enough to allow for it.

I’m pretty impressed. I wish the razor was as sexy as the Karve or the 41. It’s a nice shave.

Thank you for posting! I have to admit that it's been a little discouraging. Today was the second shave with Voskhod, and it wasn't nearly as good as the first. All and all, the razor just kind of under performs for me. I'm not sure if I'll shave with it again, or just wait for the C SB or E OC plate and then try again. I love the feel of the razor in my hands. I love the look. And for all intent and purpose, the thing shaves well, it just leaves me feeling raw about ten minutes after the shave... which is a tough sell when I can get a closer shave with my 41 with no irritation whatsoever.
Sorry for the delay in responding to this, but you're very welcome!

I too have a Karve with several SB plates, but it's yet to be shaved with. I did handle it a bit though, and absolutely loved the way it feels and looks. Like yourself, I really want to like this thing! So anyway, I'll get around to shaving with it before too long, and again like yourself - if I'm not thrilled with the SB plates I'll give the OC plates a go.

But let's remember this: Even if we don't like the shave, we end-up with a really kick-butt standard threaded handle. And that's not such a bad thing!

Karve Update:

26549551-E78B-4265-A007-3743868BCDD1.jpeg

The “C” plate arrived, and today I shave. As I prepare, I feel a little anxious I guess. If this shave doesn’t work... as @Capisco Capisce says, I’ll have a kick-butt handle. A very kick-butt expensive handle that I don’t need lol. I know I still have the open comb E coming, but if this plate doesn’t work for me, I just can’t see the E working, but you never know.

I’ve decided to give the Personna Reds another go. They work for me in my 41, and they worked for me in the Parker. I’m assuming that my inexperience with this razor the first time I used it, is why they didn’t work perfectly that time.

Off I go!

70432660-AAF4-4862-9799-911283DEC36F.jpeg

And it was... bad.

I mean, not awful, just not good either. As in, I’m waisting time on this thing now. It was comfortable, but it just can’t hit my problem areas. So why move forward with it when the 41 and the Parker do?

I’ll see hoe the open comb E fairs, but I got to tell you, I’m just not holding out hope at this point.

What is interesting though, is putting the Mühle head on these plates. They fit and I think it’s enough of an angle change that it might make a difference. I’ll try it next... might as well being I’m not going to sell it until I try the E.

D9966910-C304-487A-943C-B7655CBACDF2.jpeg

Shim it to get a general idea how the next plate will shave.
I’ve done that with other razors. It never works out exactly. Not going to waste good shaves chasing a Unicorn when I have perfectly awesome alternatives at hand. They just aren’t as good looking! I really, really wanted to love this razor... it’s stupid pretty lol!

Thought I’d share a PM I sent to a fellow member who would rather pm than post on the thread.

“Thanks for reaching out <Withheld> - you’re the second person to tell me to switch up my angles. Just so you know, I’m by no means offended by your statement, actually I’m grateful, and I should probably address that on the thread.

The fact is, there’s no question that you need to have the right angle of attack for the Karve to work. No question. And every shave with it has seen me listen and feel for the proper angle of attack. It’s just not working for me.

I’m confident thar the C is not efficient enough for me, and that the E is just somehow too aggressive, and not efficient enough (though very, very close) to take the R41s throne.

I’m open to the open comb E, but I’m not holding out hope. I mean the fact is, not every razor works for everyone. It’s that simple really. In spite of how much I’d rather that not be the case considering how attractive I find the razor.

I know that finding the right angle of attack is critical. I’ve found that angle on 5 DEs, my Feather Artist Club, and countless straights... If the Karve’s angle of attack is that illusive for me, then so be it.”

Interesting. Watching this.

Had my first shave with it yesterday and it was good.

Today I concentrated on finding the angle that worked best for me and was rewarded with a very audible feedback when I got it right. 2 pass BBS everywhere. No cuts, no weepers.

Sucks this thing isn’t working for you.

Interesting. Watching this.

Had my first shave with it yesterday and it was good.

Today I concentrated on finding the angle that worked best for me and was rewarded with a very audible feedback when I got it right. 2 pass BBS everywhere. No cuts, no weepers.

Sucks this thing isn’t working for you.
I’m really enjoying your thread too - and I’m overjoyed it’s working for you. Truly. It’s a beautiful razor. But yeah, not every razor works for everyone. And so far...

I’m trying the E next, then with a Mühle head. If that doesn’t work... bah, i’ll sell it or hang it up. I mean this thing is good looking!

Update:

I’m not going to lie, I wasn’t holding out much hope on the open comb F plate. I just couldn’t see how it would be that much better than my D plate which has been leaving my pretty disappointed, but it is. I got a damn fine shave with it.

I used the same Personna Red that I tried with the C plate, so I didn’t expect any burn, but I didn’t expect this close either. I’m impressed. I’m going to hold my breath and try it again next shave. I’m very hopeful!

I have OCB. Used it this morning.I can't imagine a closer shave with no irritation.

Update:

I’m not going to lie, I wasn’t holding out much hope on the open comb F plate. I just couldn’t see how it would be that much better than my D plate which has been leaving my pretty disappointed, but it is. I got a damn fine shave with it.

I used the same Personna Red that I tried with the C plate, so I didn’t expect any burn, but I didn’t expect this close either. I’m impressed. I’m going to hold my breath and try it again next shave. I’m very hopeful!

Ok, common complaints with this razor are that the head is too big for under the nose. Yup, it’s the only area that’s not BBS.
You can use a merkur progress cap or any long threaded cap from merkur. It makes the head profile a bit thinner and couple of grams lighter. I actually find the smooth adjustment knob better for fine tuning between 2 numbers.

You can use a merkur progress cap or any long threaded cap from merkur. It makes the head profile a bit thinner and couple of grams lighter. I actually find the smooth adjustment knob better for fine tuning between 2 numbers.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Top Bottom