What's new

Karve vs. Muhle R41 (post 2013) vs...

Update:

I’m not going to lie, I wasn’t holding out much hope on the open comb F plate. I just couldn’t see how it would be that much better than my D plate which has been leaving my pretty disappointed, but it is. I got a damn fine shave with it.

I used the same Personna Red that I tried with the C plate, so I didn’t expect any burn, but I didn’t expect this close either. I’m impressed. I’m going to hold my breath and try it again next shave. I’m very hopeful!

My first Karve plate was a D straight bar, as it was the most "aggressive" he offered at the time. After a few shaves with it, I put it in a drawer and patiently waited for him to release a more aggressive (i.e., efficient) plate. Sure enough, the F straight bar came out, and I bought one on the day of its release. It was a significant improvement on my face over the D. I then bought the F open comb plate on the day of its release, and I'm very happy with it as my go-to Karve plate.

When the G comes out, I'm sure I'll try that one too.

I just finished shaving with the F open plate, using my R41 head. Oh my! Oh my, my. Comfortable and close. Yes please.

Interesting! I only have the 2011 r41, I wonder if the cap is the same?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I don’t know. That’ll be interesting to figure out.

Either way, you’re enjoying your Karve as is right? No need to experiment - save for experience sake.

Interesting! I only have the 2011 r41, I wonder if the cap is the same?

I have both the 2011 and 2013 versions of the R41. The 2011 top cap is narrower, which is part of the reason why the 2011 is a bit more aggressive. (The other reason is that the 2011 baseplate is also smaller than its 2013 counterpart.)

I have both the 2011 and 2013 versions of the R41. The 2011 top cap is narrower, which is part of the reason why the 2011 is a bit more aggressive. (The other reason is that the 2011 baseplate is also smaller than its 2013 counterpart.)
Nice. Thank you. I forgot I knew that lol!

Update:

I’m not going to lie, I wasn’t holding out much hope on the open comb F plate. I just couldn’t see how it would be that much better than my D plate which has been leaving my pretty disappointed, but it is. I got a damn fine shave with it.

I used the same Personna Red that I tried with the C plate, so I didn’t expect any burn, but I didn’t expect this close either. I’m impressed. I’m going to hold my breath and try it again next shave. I’m very hopeful!
Never underestimate the power of Open-Comb! :thumbsup:

I’m shocked at how different the Karve’s shave is with the open comb. I can’t really wrap my head around it. It’s remarkable really. I guess all that matters is it’s a viable option for me now.

Anyway, I think I’m in a much better position to compare my Karve, 41, and Parker Variant now than when I started this thread. I might start a new thread being this thread has really become about me discovering the Karve. I’ll say this, I feel the R41 & Parker are going to fight for highest efficiency, and the 41 and the Karve are going to fight for smoothest shave.

We’ll see, it’s been a while since I’ve even used the 41 now that I’ve been messing with the Parker and the Karve.

Nice man, glad it worked out for you!

Wondering now if we'd be the opposite....the SB really works well for me, and didn't for you. I'd think given this I might hate the OC lol

Nice man, glad it worked out for you!

Wondering now if we'd be the opposite....the SB really works well for me, and didn't for you. I'd think given this I might hate the OC lol
Lol! All joking aside, I have no idea anymore. It’s all voodoo! But now I’ve got three times the razors I did when I started all this lol.

Which one will become my go to?

It takes forever, it feels like, even when shaving every day, to get to know three razors. Especially when you throw in other factors like the blades, the soaps, and the rotation of the moon.

It takes forever, it feels like, even when shaving every day, to get to know three razors. Especially when you throw in other factors like the blades, the soaps, and the rotation of the moon.
I’m a little surprised really. The 41 is my mainstay. The Parker was like revisiting an old friend. But that Karve took a little commitment. From here on out, i’ll use the same types of blades, the same soap, aftershave etc on all three consecutively to get a fair idea.

I’m a little surprised really. The 41 is my mainstay. The Parker was like revisiting an old friend. But that Karve took a little commitment. From here on out, i’ll use the same types of blades, the same soap, aftershave etc on all three consecutively to get a fair idea.
Would you care to try my 2011 r41?

Would you care to try my 2011 r41?

Oh man would I! You’re a true gentleman. I’m going to pass for now though. I’m really trying to figure out the three I’ve got now.

That and I think I’d have a really hard time getting it back to you lol!

Thanks @.soap. Can I have a rain check?

From here on out, i’ll use the same types of blades, the same soap, aftershave etc on all three consecutively to get a fair idea.
Sure, that's a great plan. But it's just one blade. One of those razors may feel significantly different with a different blade. It takes weeks to work through a few variables and there is very little chance of growing a beard.

Sure, that's a great plan. But it's just one blade. One of those razors may feel significantly different with a different blade. It takes weeks to work through a few variables and there is very little chance of growing a beard.
Sorry, I’ll use different blade brands to see what they like best, but i’ll use them in every razor. For example, i’ll use Feathers for two shaves in my 41, then try them in my Parker followed by my Karve.

It will take weeks! I’ll need to take notes. But when it’s all said and done, I should know the razors pretty well. Maybe i’ll even learn to enjoy each razor for what it is rather than looking for the one lol.

Top Bottom