What's new

Looking some recommendations for boutique OC razors

Hello folks,

One of my favourites in recent times is the Muhle R41. I find myself reaching for this razor more than anything lately. It just seems to work really well for me and provide some of the best shaves.

Being a shaving hobbyist I'm always on the lookout for new things and I'd like to upgrade a bit and buy myself another OC that possibly shaves something in the same kind of ballpark.. but something a bit more "luxury" or "high end" than the R41. I'm not really sure but I suppose "boutique" might be the term to use, so I'll use it. Maybe something in Stainless or Titanium or whatever.. you know.

I understand Muhle have a stainless version of the R41 available for maybe around £100 or something.. and while that may be an option, I'd maybe like to buy an OC from some of the "boutique" razor manufacturers. I've been looking at the open comb options from various Tatara Masamune, Blackland Blackbird OC, Timeless OC variants etc.. all these are potential options. I also had pondered over the Lambda Ares V2 but I'm not so sure about brass and it's out of stock until the next run now anyways.

But what else is on the market that might be of interest? I'm not really up to date on modern makers and razors.. people on here know a lot more of the companies and models than I do. I was just wondering if anyone had any nice suggestions for modern OC razors of the higher quality bracket. Let's say maybe starting around £100 up.

I'll just add there's absolutely nothing wrong with the R41. I love my R41 and I will continue to use it of course. I'm not trying to replace it. What can I say I just like to buy what I deem to be nice razors now and again and I'd like to add a nice OC to my collection.

I have a lot of razors by companies like Tatara, Rex, Feather etc but it just occurred to me that I don't really have any "boutique" open comb razors. All my OC razors are fairly inexpensive.. like Muhle, lower priced Razorock and so on. Not that there's anything wrong with that. They're all great shavers. I'd just like a open comb option that's a little bit "luxury" for want of a better word and if it was in the similar sort of performance category to an R41 it would likely be great. That's all. 🙂

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance.

Lambda Ares - the whole deal including the boutique case. Plus the pre-order thing. Great performer, but not in the R41 style, a much safer feel. I don't own one but I was given a long enough loan to get a good feel for it.

My copper PAA Ascension is luxury by my DE standards. Also not always in stock.

The OC RazoRock Superslants hit luxury $$ if you get two or three baseplates. And maybe order a custom handle somewhere.

Karve? I enjoy my Christopher Bradley and C and D plates.

The smoothest razor I've ever used is a Timeless oc. I have both the .68 and .95 in every configuration in titanium and only reach for the oc versions regardless of growth.

90% of the time I go with the .68 oc because it's so easy to use and I get a close shave without having to think about what I'm doing. However, if I need the closest shave possible, I'll get out the .95 oc and concentrate on the shave. Lest I shed blood I wasn't intending.

Good luck in your search. I haven't tried the Lambda razors. However, the OC Timeless razors perform so much better for me than any of their other offerings that it almost doesn't make sense.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The smoothest razor I've ever used is a Timeless oc. I have both the .68 and .95 in every configuration in titanium and only reach for the oc versions regardless of growth.

90% of the time I go with the .68 oc because it's so easy to use and I get a close shave without having to think about what I'm doing. However, if I need the closest shave possible, I'll get out the .95 oc and concentrate on the shave. Lest I shed blood I wasn't intending.

Good luck in your search. I haven't tried the Lambda razors. However, the OC Timeless razors perform so much better for me than any of their other offerings that it almost doesn't make sense.
My last shave, Tuesday evening, was with my Timeless Ti 0.68OC w/ the Ti Crown handle. I don't have a lot of experience with OC razors. I have a PAA Filament, a RazoRock SuperSlant L1++OC, an ATT S2, and a couple other PAA Monsters.

I only list the others to say.... The Timeless Ti 0.68OC is in a class by itself, based on my limited experience. It's so smooth, yet gives me a 12 hour shave. I'm sure the 0.95OC would step things up a bit but I don't seem to need that extra level of efficiency.

I have the Lambda Athena and love it. I've read very good things about the Ares as well. Same with Wolfman... I have their WR2 0.95 but in an SB bronze.... Their OC base plates show up here in use often so I'm guessing Wolfman does an excellent job as well.

Henson titanium Ti22... in whatever configuration you want - mild, medium or aggressive. Not necessarily "boutique" as it were, but a fairly large amount of money well spent...

Thank you to everyone for the kind suggestions. All are much appreciated. I will be taking all into consideration! Maybe the Wolfman or Timeless will be worth looking at down the line.

I actually since made a purchase of the Tatara Masamune. While I bought it particularly for the Open Comb I actually ordered it with both combs, just to try the Closed Comb also as with the discount they were running you could get Masamune with both combs for practically the same price as it is with one comb normally.

I had been debating between the regular Masamune and the Masamune Nodachi but as the Masamune Nodachi is currently out of stock on Tatara's website.. well, it made the decision easier! I think in future I will likely pick up the Masamune Nodachi also when it returns to stock. I hope it's just a temporary thing and that they haven't discontinued it or something.. if my memory serves me correctly it was also out of stock when I was looking back a few months ago too.

Anyways.. while I have the Muramasa Adjustable, I'd just always been curious about the regular Masamune and figured I'd try it as I do like Tatara.. I like the company and I like the products. They always appealed to me.

I went for the standard stainless Masamune rather than Titanium. I almost always opt for stainless.. I like a little weight and I suppose its just what I'm used to, I guess! I got the regular matte finish even though the dark was only a little more.. I really love the look of their dark finish but I'd read up on PVD and found some posts somewhere where the user was saying he tends to avoid PVD coatings on razors due to his experience with PVD on watches. Much as I like the look of nice coatings/finishes I usually just end up going for plain stainless.. as well, it may not be the fanciest but there's not much to go wrong with it either!

While I'm keen to give it a try and hope that I'm pleasantly surprised when I do use it, I'm not super optimistic about the Closed Comb of the Masamune as I'd heard some reviews of it being very mild, I saw one describe is as similar to AS-D2.. I have the AS-D2 and it gets little to no use.. it's one of those razors I've just never gotten on with. But the same post said the Masamune with the open comb was a different razor altogether.. and I was buying it for the OC anyways.. I more or less added the Closed Comb out of curiosity.

I guess I'll find out soon anyways.. no other way but to try it for myself!

I'll be keeping an eye on the Tatara page too for whenever they restock the Nodachi.

Once again thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'm always open to more if anyone thinks of any others!

Thanks all.

You might want to consider the Timeless Bronze .78 OC. I have most of the razors you have mentioned and this Timeless will easily place you in range with the R41 GS or beyond. As an added bonus it is probably the most beautiful razor I own.

Top Bottom