What's new

Karve vs. Muhle R41 (post 2013) vs...

That's exactly what I do. Same blade for a week in three different razors. Right now I'm enjoying four different razors about equally. Like you say, each one can be appreciated for what it is without making it to need to be the best.
Sorry, I’ll use different blade brands to see what they like best, but i’ll use them in every razor. For example, i’ll use Feathers for two shaves in my 41, then try them in my Parker followed by my Karve.

It will take weeks! I’ll need to take notes. But when it’s all said and done, I should know the razors pretty well. Maybe i’ll even learn to enjoy each razor for what it is rather than looking for the one lol.

Final Update:

So with respect to the Karve, the F open comb really works for me. It works well. But how does the Karve, R41, and Parker compare? I’m about to start a way more formal review, but that’ll take some time as I use different blades on all three razors. I’ll start another thread when I get that far.

For now though, I’ll subjectivity say this.

Efficiency: Parker > Karve & R41. The Parker cuts close! Really close!
Smoothness: Karve > 41 > Parker. I could use any of these as my daily driver, but the Karve wins.

Like I said, this is where I’m at right now. It could all change as I explore a range of blades. I’ll take notes. Thanks for reading all!

A deeper review would be excellent. The Karve OC F plate is a real contender.

I have a Karve OC E plate in the post and I'll compare that to my R41 and Timeless Bronze OC .78.

Final Update:

So with respect to the Karve, the F open comb really works for me. It works well. But how does the Karve, R41, and Parker compare? I’m about to start a way more formal review, but that’ll take some time as I use different blades on all three razors. I’ll start another thread when I get that far.

For now though, I’ll subjectivity say this.

Efficiency: Parker > Karve & R41. The Parker cuts close! Really close!
Smoothness: Karve > 41 > Parker. I could use any of these as my daily driver, but the Karve wins.

Like I said, this is where I’m at right now. It could all change as I explore a range of blades. I’ll take notes. Thanks for reading all!

It's been a great pleasure to follow your journey in this thread. Did you already catch up with this topic in another thread?

If so, would you mind sharing a link?

It's been a great pleasure to follow your journey in this thread. Did you already catch up with this topic in another thread?

If so, would you mind sharing a link?
Thanks you @JAHE.

The “more extensive testing” I did, was with a slew of different blades that I got from stores and fellow members. I tried as many blades as I could get my hands on in all 3 razors which was quite a few. I’m not sure where that thread went, but if I find it I’ll link you up.

What I believe I figured out in that thread was:
  • different blades blades do in fact shave differently (duh!)
  • as importantly, the same blade can shave radically different in in different razors. Hence, my favorite blade in my 41 is not the same as it is in my Karve
  • finally, being able to adjust mid shave as you can with the Parker is a really nice feature. If it wasn’t for how smooth the Karve is, I’d probably stick with the Parker.

Really quickly, I have to admit my feelings haven’t changed much, or at all. I still love the Karve with the open comb F plate. So much so, I bought the stainless version as well!

Something else I discovered for myself that I think is worth mentioning is that claiming any one razor blade is superior to another just means you haven’t tried enough blades to know that every blade interacts with different razors and different faces completely differently. And sometimes there are bad batches that come out of a factory.

It’s not sexy telling a noob that they got to try as many as they can and discover what they like. I mean we aren’t talking lovers here, but that really is the answer!

Thank you for your quick and detailed reply.

Something else I discovered for myself that I think is worth mentioning is that claiming any one razor blade is superior to another just means you haven’t tried enough blades to know that every blade interacts with different razors and different faces completely differently. And sometimes there are bad batches that come out of a factory.

It’s not sexy telling a noob that they got to try as many as they can and discover what they like. I mean we aren’t talking lovers here, but that really is the answer!

Wise words indeed!

Happy shaves!

Not a karve but if you like efficient I recommend the rex ambassador. Setting 6 with a feather is bbs in 2 passes, even with multiple days growth and coarse hair like mine

- Fayiz D.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Really quickly, I have to admit my feelings haven’t changed much, or at all. I still love the Karve with the open comb F plate. So much so, I bought the stainless version as well!

+1 :thumbup:

The Karve ranked near the top of my personal checklist in my mid-priced razor comparison thread:

Something else I discovered for myself that I think is worth mentioning is that claiming any one razor blade is superior to another just means you haven’t tried enough blades to know that every blade interacts with different razors and different faces completely differently.

Huge +1 :thumbup:

It’s not sexy telling a noob that they got to try as many as they can and discover what they like.

Another big +1 :thumbup:

Top Bottom