What's new

Just ordered a OneBlade Genesis

As much as I love the ease of quality shave yet complain re price and lack of joy in usage, Dominic has been fantastic and willing to deal with complaints inherent to the razor as well as provide quick fair follow thru. One Blade does seem to get the importance of customer service although tales of SS v1 razors breaking after a fall not being 100% warrantied free are concerning.

Why would someone dropping a razor be covered by a warranty? If I bought a new car and drove it into a tree I wouldn't expect the manufacturer to repair or replace the car after an accident that was my fault.

Why would someone dropping a razor be covered by a warranty? If I bought a new car and drove it into a tree I wouldn't expect the manufacturer to repair or replace the car after an accident that was my fault.
I guess if you paid that high a price for your car, it shouldn't have gotten damaged when you drove it into a tree. ;-)

In instances such as these it is easy to be churlish and respond with sarcasm and hyperbole. An attempt will be put forth to address why it is reasonable to expect a manufacturer to stand behind their product in instances where design failure under foreseeable circumstances occurs.

In this case the razor is obstensibly manufactured from SS weighing less than a pound. The maximum height it could reasonably have fallen is roughly 5’. Reflect on that: a solid SS razor falling 5’ and breaking such that it is unusable....

Were this a razor made from potmetal, or soft metal or plastic or even Al then possible to different degrees but SS? Further, were this a design with a built in stress riser at a particularly vulnerable juncture such as a 2 or 3 piece razor, again plausable but this is a 1 piece design of considerable bulk at critical juncture made from SS. Moreover were this razor thrown at considerable velocity or dropped from considerable height, again plausable but in this instance 5’ relying purely on gravity and again made from SS with no vulnerable critical junctures ( I could go into the forces but they are de minimis ). Finally, there is the actions of the company to go to a higher grade of SS in a redesign shortly after launch which could be reasonably construed as prima facie admission of design or execution error (perhaps voids in the casting being performed in China - a nation reknown for sloppy manufacturing practices and unreliable products at sub market costs).

One could suggest the example of an automobile crashing is misplaced and better parallels the razor being thrown or dropped from great heights. A more reasoned example might be if an automobile hit a parking curb at less than 5mph and regularly had to be totaled. A much better example would be in circumstances expected to be encountered regularly, an automobile became totaled. An example would be of a vehicle dropping one wheel off a paved road onto a graded shoulder and was totaled or hitting a common sized pothole and literally breaking in half.

Irrespective of one’s outlook toward neoliberalistic corporatism, a company should not be selling products at premium prices that fail to survive very foreseeable circumstances, particularly when their subsequent actions betray their knowedge of deficiencies. That is my belief and you are surely entitled to yours. Having been criticized that my personal code precludes buying a product and then returning after usage when in fact there is no quality issue other than my not preferring it violates my code. Again that is my code and others are entitled to live according to theirs.

I own two of these razors and speak well of their utility albeit pointing out their excessive price and questionable trade practices re exclusive agreements with a blade supplier then pricing monopolistically and predaciously for the only blade usable as sold to the market without modification requiring special tooling.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response to my question @danlaw. While I appreciate that your response was not meant to include hyperbole or sarcasm, I feel compelled to point out that my rhetorical question was made in response to your previous statement that did contain a level of hyperbole. I appreciate the opportunity to make my point more clear.

You stated "although tales of SS v1 razors breaking after a fall not being 100% warrantied free are concerning". This statement is not fact based and certainly was not meant to be. I have read accounts of One Blade stepping up to a certain extent and assisting Genesis owners who have dropped a razor. Admittedly the extent of that assistance may not have met each owners expectation, I was impressed that OB would do anything at all.

In your statement you expressed the opinion that dropped razors have not been 100% covered by the warranty. My point is that a dropped razor should not be 100% covered. One Blade offers a lifetime warranty on the Genesis. If a dropped razor were 100% covered that implies One Blade is responsible to replace at no charge to the owner a razor that was dropped some period of time down the road. Would it be reasonable to expect One Blade to cover a dropped razor 15 years from now for example? I wouldn't expect them to.

I don't have One Blades written warranty in front of me so I can only speak in terms of generalities. Manufacturers warranties typically cover manufacturer defects. The legal question is if dropping a razor is a normal part of the shaving experience. We can debate at length. I for one can see both sides of that coin. The manufacturer can only act in good faith. If a customer presents a physically damaged razor and says they dropped it from a height of 5 feet is One Blade obligated to believe them? Another legal / ethical question.

As a business owner, I believe that One Blade has met its obligation to its customers that have dropped razors based solely on the accounts I've read and have no concerns. Others clearly do have concerns.

Regarding my automobile analogy, I believe it fits quite well. If I purchase a new BMW, and while operating it in a normal manner the transmission falls out during the warranty period I would expect BMW to repair the vehicle at no charge to me. If I bump into a tree and cause some damage, would it be reasonable of me to complain about BMW for not repairing the damage because people do from time to time run into trees? Should the expectation be that you can hit a tree at X miles per hour with an automobile and sustain zero damage?

I've dropped Fatboys, Techs, and Slims over the years and they have been damaged and needed repairs. If I drop a One Blade I'll pay for the repair or replacement. I think that is reasonable.

It is reasonable to provide refurbished razors as warranty replacements to my mind provided they are rebuilt to like new condition which would presume One Blade stipulates. However, disagree with charging for product failure unless truly abusive conditions are the direct cause of failure. Could be wrong but highly doubt my Timeless or BBS would break from a fall (particularly doubtful given their excellent handle design for mine). That stated, iirc they allow upgrades for $175 which, while priced a little high, is a good thing.

Just shaved with my Genesis V2 and a modified spineless GEM PTFE blade and all I can say is wow.. much better than the Feather. Two passes and a very strong DFS and with a light buffing in some of my trouble spots I would be BBS smooth but was in a hurry so I stopped. I needed the right tool to modify the blade that doesn't take forever. Now that I've got one I'm gonna do 20 of them at time and no more Feathers! Just thought I'd throw this into the post for those that have V2's. Try a Gem PTFE blade in yours. Trust me it's a whole different shave.

Just shaved with my Genesis V2 and a modified spineless GEM PTFE blade and all I can say is wow.. much better than the Feather. Two passes and a very strong DFS and with a light buffing in some of my trouble spots I would be BBS smooth but was in a hurry so I stopped. I needed the right tool to modify the blade that doesn't take forever. Now that I've got one I'm gonna do 20 of them at time and no more Feathers! Just thought I'd throw this into the post for those that have V2's. Try a Gem PTFE blade in yours. Trust me it's a whole different shave.

• Feather FHS
1510503967121_image.jpg

LMAO!
Anothny I wish that there was an alternative to the Feather where I wouldn’t have to modify the PTFE blade but with this new hole punch a friend let me use it’s pretty easy but it would be nice just to be able to buy a better blade than the FHS all ready to go. The Gem not only was more efficient but much smoother by quite a bit and I know it’s going to last longer than two shaves!

:thumbup:

I wish that there was an alternative to the Feather where I wouldn’t have to modify the PTFE blade

It's called a GEM razor!
:lol::lol::lol:

The difference between the GEM SS PTFE and Feather FHS is night and day, GEM blades are much more efficient. To make a razor to only use a blade such as the FHS is sad. But it works for many and "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one!" ~ Spock, Wrath of Khan

It's called a GEM razor!
:lol::lol::lol:

The difference between the GEM SS PTFE and Feather FHS is night and day, GEM blades are much more efficient. To make a razor to only use a blade such as the FHS is sad. But it works for many and "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one!" ~ Spock, Wrath of Khan
Thank you Master Yoda your words of wisdom always bring me clarity,confidence and direction!:a45:

Top Bottom