What's new

Ready for the Rabbit Hole: Need Razor Purchasing Advice

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have two of the razors on your wish list.

The Timeless Ti 0.68, though I went with the OC base plate and scalloped top cap in matte finish. Their open comb base plates are unique: very rounded teeth so smooth and comfortable.

The Lambda Athena. I have two of them... because we have two sons and I wanted them each to have one when I exit the planet.

I should have listened to my peers and got a Tech sooner. Seen plenty of them but foolishly thought…Are they really all that? Got one for Christmas. It is as good as many on here say.
Still plenty around for cheap and you can also treat yourself to 100 Personna lab blues and some SV or D.R.Harris hard soaps.

There is this tendency for newer people to go on shopping sprees.

Let's face it - it's not just the new people!

But I agree that OP should stick with the current razor for a couple more months. Sharper blades and a higher plate number will no doubt improve the closeness of the shaves significantly, whilst also requiring improvements in technique, which in turn will deliver further improvements to the results being achieved. With the right effort it's a virtuous circle. That will probably then change what OP is looking for in terms of the qualities of their next razor.

Gillette Slim or Fatboy. Those will let you use any blade (my settings range from 2 to 8 depending on blade) and will outlast you. Should be able to get one pretty cheap if you keep an eye out, and can be restored to better than new for not much money.

I have a big pile of razors now, and only use the Slim of Fatboy.

When I read your post, I was thinking "why does he want another razor?". Honestly, if you are fairly new to all this, you should focus on developing your technique and getting skilled with the good tools you already have. Later on, you will have a better idea of your preferences.

There is this tendency for newer people to go on shopping sprees. I think it comes from reading the forum and seeing all the cool gear out there. What's your hurry?

Concur.

6S is a really nice razor. You might decide that you want to try something really different, or you may decide that you are trying to get a specific feature. The better you are with the 6S the better decision you can make.

Get a Tech. In the US they’re plentiful at $5 to $15. Learn to use it and it will shave you well for life.

Please don’t allow yourself to fall down the rabbit hole. Show some restraint now and you will thank me later.

An alternative would be to get an adjustable razor. Either one of the vintage Gillette's, or a Parker Variant, or a Pearl Flexi, or a Rex Ambassador (in order of increasing price). Those (I think) all go from "mild-to-moderate" to "aggressive".

. Charles

Get a Tech. In the US they’re plentiful at $5 to $15. Learn to use it and it will shave you well for life.

Please don’t allow yourself to fall down the rabbit hole. Show some restraint now and you will thank me later.
You can get decent ones for that cheap? I missed the boat on an auction last week at about $40, and am watching another at around $35. These are the fat handle, not the ball handle.

You can get decent ones for that cheap? I missed the boat on an auction last week at about $40, and am watching another at around $35. These are the fat handle, not the ball handle.
Get off the Web. Nice vintage razors can be purchased at antique stores, flea markets, estate sales and grandpa’s closet for very little money. I paid $5 for a like-new Black Beauty, and never more than $17 for Slims, SuperSpeeds, Techs and Old Types, and Schick E, G, J and L injectors. I found a nice Tech in a drawer in my house (?) for free. They’re everywhere.

Get off the Web. Nice vintage razors can be purchased at antique stores, flea markets, estate sales and grandpa’s closet for very little money. I paid $5 for a like-new Black Beauty, and never more than $17 for Slims, SuperSpeeds, Techs and Old Types, and Schick E, G, J and L injectors. I found a nice Tech in a drawer in my house (?) for free. They’re everywhere.
I picked up a Fatboy and a Slim for $25 each, plus another Slim I got for free - on the Web.

You just have to shop around. Not everyone is lucky enough to have flea markets, antique stores or estate sales on their doorstep.

Hey Everyone,

I am new around here. I've been reading all the great insights and advice over the last week, and I'm ready to put some of my new found knowledge to work and buy another DE razor! But still need to finalize which direction to go.

Quick Background: I'm 41 with soft and sensitive skin. I have been using the 5 blade razors for as long as I can remember and typically shave every 3 days. Back around Thanksgiving, I pulled out my 15 year old Art of Shaving DE razor (wedding party gift I used for a short season) and popped in an Astra and used it, and caught the bug. So on Black Friday, with only some limited Reddit research, I ordered a Rockwell 6S. I have been using it to shave every other day for the past 2 weeks (Been using plate 2 and have had near BBS shaves with no irritation, but have to do 3-4 passes). Since then I found B&B and have dove into all the great threads and posts around here. Which has me wanting a new razor.

I read all 57 pages of the "World's Mildest (New) Razor" thread and learned a lot. And it appears things have even progressed and changed since that wrapped up in late 2021 with some new players and options.

What I'm currently thinking for this upcoming purchase is to get one of the well regarded "mild" razors and start the collection. I have since ordered some sample soaps from Barrister and Noble Otter, and have some sample razor packs (Astra, Feather, Personna).

I'd love feedback on this list of razors, and feel free to throw any others into the consideration bucket:

Two at the top of my list:
-Timeless TI .68 (Not sure which combo/setup to go with. Would lean to matte, solid bar, and smooth top, but no real reason)
-Lambda Athena (I emailed them and they expect the next batch to be ready in early Feb)

Others I'm considering:
-Overlander
-Henson
-Blackbird Ti
-Blackbird Vector SE

Thanks for any insight and feedback!
Welcome, and I wanted to say I love my Henson AL13 (Mild).

Hi,

He's ready and waiting!

RabbitHole.jpg

Stan

I think we lost the OP.
Too busy buying new razors! Haha.

I'm amazed at how many people are preaching restraint. He came here for what this forum offers best... encouragement to dive deep into the rabbit hole 😆. The more you read and see, the more you want to try! Tough on our wallets.

If you like mild razors, the Overlander and the Blackbird Lite fit the bill. I have both and they are excellent. That being said, I found after time that I prefer more efficient razors and do less passes. So don't go crazy buying everything all at once. Buy one, use it for a long time, with different beard growth, and really get a feel for it. Many users here have reported revisiting a forgotten and disliked razor and being amazed at the results.
Good luck with the hunt!

My 1st posting. Word of advice, pass your new found collection (addiction) plans by your Better-Half from the start. Collecting and using pre-owned/used razors can be a real conversation, especially if she is a nurse. 2nd, if funds are an issue, research twice as much before buying once and have a collecting criteria. I learned buying low, leads to more buys. In less than a year, Old Type, 2 Techs, New SC, 41 Ranger, LD PaperClip Rocket, H3 Adj, and H3 FlareTip enroute. Keep In Mind, Happy Wife/Happy Life (32 dedicated years of service). Now I am looking at new, GameChanger .68-P. Happy Hunting.

Top Bottom