What's new

Ready for the Rabbit Hole: Need Razor Purchasing Advice

Hey Everyone,

I am new around here. I've been reading all the great insights and advice over the last week, and I'm ready to put some of my new found knowledge to work and buy another DE razor! But still need to finalize which direction to go.

Quick Background: I'm 41 with soft and sensitive skin. I have been using the 5 blade razors for as long as I can remember and typically shave every 3 days. Back around Thanksgiving, I pulled out my 15 year old Art of Shaving DE razor (wedding party gift I used for a short season) and popped in an Astra and used it, and caught the bug. So on Black Friday, with only some limited Reddit research, I ordered a Rockwell 6S. I have been using it to shave every other day for the past 2 weeks (Been using plate 2 and have had near BBS shaves with no irritation, but have to do 3-4 passes). Since then I found B&B and have dove into all the great threads and posts around here. Which has me wanting a new razor.

I read all 57 pages of the "World's Mildest (New) Razor" thread and learned a lot. And it appears things have even progressed and changed since that wrapped up in late 2021 with some new players and options.

What I'm currently thinking for this upcoming purchase is to get one of the well regarded "mild" razors and start the collection. I have since ordered some sample soaps from Barrister and Noble Otter, and have some sample razor packs (Astra, Feather, Personna).

I'd love feedback on this list of razors, and feel free to throw any others into the consideration bucket:

Two at the top of my list:
-Timeless TI .68 (Not sure which combo/setup to go with. Would lean to matte, solid bar, and smooth top, but no real reason)
-Lambda Athena (I emailed them and they expect the next batch to be ready in early Feb)

Others I'm considering:
-Overlander
-Henson
-Blackbird Ti
-Blackbird Vector SE

Thanks for any insight and feedback!

I have the Rockwell 6s and use mostly plate 6, but I’ll switch to plate 5 on occasion. I also have soft and fairly sensitive skin, and find the higher plates + less passes leaves me with a better shave, and my skin doesn’t get irritated. I also have the mild Henson, and it is a very easy razor to use, although I find I sometimes have to do more passes, which can lead to redness for me.

I use both, but I prefer a vintage slim on 7 or so with a sharp blade. Close but comfortable shaves.

I have no experience with any of the other razors in the op. I use Astra green, personna lab blue and feathers.

Nothing wrong with wanting to try a new razor. But you could also try plates 3, 4, 5, and 6.

I agree. OP, as much as I'd love to sell you on the Blackbird or Vector, I think it's a good idea to try out the rest of your 6S range. I'd bet that your preferred base plate 6 months from now won't be the same as your current favorite. The 6S gives you a nice opportunity to test your skills and help you progress. If you're not getting BBS in 3-4 passes, you'd probably benefit from stepping up to a higher setting. Let's try to find a sweet spot where you're getting your desired closeness in three passes max, but I personally think two is ideal for irritation prevention.

I should probably clarify...I'm not complaining about the 6S at all. I do plan to try out the other plates, especailly as I work on my technique.

Me wanting to buy a new razor is more for the thrill of the hunt and kill! So in that light, I'm wanting to make sure I buy a razor that will be one that can stay in the den going forward!

One other bit of info: I have noticed it is difficult to get the hairs right under the nose with the 6S. But without having anything to compare it's size to, I'm not sure if that is normal or so.

@Blackland Razors, that does appear to be a big draw towards the Vector...that thing looks nice and compact!

If you like the Rockwell 6s at milder settings, as I do as well I can recommend the following

Giesen und Forsthoff Timor CC - it's mild and gentle, a milder brother of the de89 if you want to say so. It has covered blade tabs.

Rockwell T2 Stainless Steel - it shaves similar to the 6s but milder I think due to less blade exposure.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I would definitely stick with the 6s and try different plates as suggested above. I have the 6c and find it efficient enough for me with the 3 plate and a sharp blade. Two passes and some touch ups gives me a DFS, I never chase the BBS.

Welcome to B&B! You are well set up for great shaves! And immediately went for a well known razor around these parts.

Like the others before me already stated it is good to first concentrate on technique and finding a blade that delivers for you (blades are super subjective do that’s a rabbit hole in itself).

The Razors you list as candidates are amazing as well. I have a Timeless .95 and find it mild, but the .68 could be more up your street. The .95 definitely has blade feel but feels comfortable nonetheless. The Athena is simply amazing - mild perhaps but super effective with some blade feel (even though it is blade neutral).

The Blackbird has a huge fan base here and it’s definitely in the top 2 of razors I want to get - EU regulations do increase the investment by some 30% - always fun!

Enjoy the hunt!

And don’t forget vintage Gillettes. Talking about a rabbit hole :001_smile !!

Cheers,

Guido

Iridian

Cool and slimy
If you don't want to get a Tech:

Blackbird SB in polished steel.
It's still light enough and looking much better than titanium in matte finishes.

When I read your post, I was thinking "why does he want another razor?". Honestly, if you are fairly new to all this, you should focus on developing your technique and getting skilled with the good tools you already have. Later on, you will have a better idea of your preferences.

There is this tendency for newer people to go on shopping sprees. I think it comes from reading the forum and seeing all the cool gear out there. What's your hurry?

Welcome aboard!

Some great advice above. For what is worth I would probably go with the Timeless from your list. But you should plan on trying a few options to establish your preferences.

Top Bottom