What's new

JNAT Finishing

How do you finish

• Slurry only and hone till a mud

• Slurry and progressively dilute to water only

• Water only

• Other: Please describe in thread

Results are only viewable after voting.
Maxim sells extremely fine stones, I doubt you will be able to find anything finer. Now if you want to build some sort of progression you can look into a prepolisher.

I concur with getting a pre-polisher. Some of the stones that are a little softer and less fine, not a lot just a little, have such nice feedback that it is really very enjoyable to use them. They offer a feedback that is very similar to a Coticule and as such you can tell the shape of the blade by the sound and feel that is diminished by my hard Asagi. Don't get me wrong the Asagi I have is very nice but yet it is nice to work with a courser stone once in a while.

Take Care,
Richard

I was just kidding a bit on getting another JNAt. I have enough coticules to play with that I don't need another prepolisher and honestly I don't think I need anymore finishers.

Could this be, am I over HAD.....

(forget the fact that I just bought 2 new coticules in the past week :blushing:)

I shaved with a razor I honed with a no stamp Asagi from Takeshi and progressed to finish on a Honyama and I notice a difference, just need to dial it in.

I good pre polisher can be the missing link to some.

I shaved with a razor I honed with a no stamp Asagi from Takeshi and progressed to finish on a Honyama and I notice a difference, just need to dial it in.

I good pre polisher can be the missing link to some.

I actually held off lapping my stone from Maxim as I wanted to make sure I liked it before doing so in case I wanted to resell it. Now that I know I like the edges and that it is an excellent stone I'm going to lap it and give it a go.

I actually held off lapping my stone from Maxim as I wanted to make sure I liked it before doing so in case I wanted to resell it. Now that I know I like the edges and that it is an excellent stone I'm going to lap it and give it a go.

Try it with a 600dmt rather than a 325, don't know if there is a difference but the stone felt smoother than it originally did.

Try it with a 600dmt rather than a 325, don't know if there is a difference but the stone felt smoother than it originally did.

Will do since my 600/1200 has been kind of toasted lapping (though I still use the 600 just fine for bevel setting/establishing). My 1200 side is definitely toast, but I still use it for lapping.

Been thinking of maybe getting a Naniwa 1K or Shapton 1K for a new bevel setter.

Will do since my 600/1200 has been kind of toasted lapping (though I still use the 600 just fine for bevel setting/establishing). My 1200 side is definitely toast, but I still use it for lapping.

Been thinking of maybe getting a Naniwa 1K or Shapton 1K for a new bevel setter.
it is even better if you lap it with your coticule or another jnat

Well this evening I tried the JNAT again. I took a Jonathan Crookes that I just finished up, which BTW took me 30 minutes to set the bevel - not sure what was up with this one but I had to eventually drop down to the DMT 325 and work my way up to a coticule. Anyway, I used a freshly lapped Asagi (lapped from DMT 325 to coticule as suggested) and raised a slurry with the Toma Nagura and finished on water.

Holy cow :w00t:

I basically could have stopped shaving after 2 passes. Sharpest and smoothest razor I've ever honed.

I am most definitely a JNAT convert. :thumbup1:

Used my Ozuku in the way that Stefan (mainaman) does in the videos he posted on SRP. Slurry with botan, tenjo, meijiro, koma, tomo nagura. A bunch of circles with milky slurry. Refresh with slightly thinner slurry and more circles. X strokes as I dilute to water with each slurry before moving to the next. Finish with 35-50 X strokes on water.

The razor was ridiculously sharp. Sharp as my Y/G Escher, but smoother. It was a Kropp razor, which I had two of. The first I honed and finished on the Y/G Escher and this one on the Ozuku. Very very happy with the results so far.

Top Bottom