What's new

What is your preferred surface for JNAT finishing?

Before final finishing on a jnat, how is the surface prepared?

• Smooth from being used with naguras, not flattened after every use

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Smoothed out with nagura after freshly/recent lapping

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Right after lapping - 1200 atoma or similar grit DMT

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Right after lapping - 600 atoma or similar grit DMT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Right after lapping - 400 atoma or similar grit dmt

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Right after lapping - smoothed out with a very worn out Diamond plate

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Fresh lapping and smoothed out with other stone

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Thought I would do another fun poll. For people who finish with a jnat, how do you like the surface prepared for final finishing. Will note I think this can change depending on the stone but just curious.

I use to rarely lap my jnats, but now I lap them before most uses. I have a worn dmt I use that gets the surface in a nice spot, then a bit of tomo cleaning up before using the stone (unless doing nagura progression then I just start with the surface as is).

Of course it depends on how I was using it etc. But my softer stones see an atoma and harder nagura before each use. Harder stones don’t get lapped until I see light under my bona fide straight edge

It's not a one-size-fits-all scenario.
It very much depends on the stone, the Nagura, the actual amount of finishing being done and on what blade and by who and what their skills and style are all about.

There is no formula. There is no recipe.

When I clean-up lap a Jnat I usually end with a worn 400x Atoma surface of a certain 'look' that I gauge visually and by touch. Then I surface with a Nagura, which one depends on what is going on.

That same Atoma plate, on it's own, will leave a different surface on different stones.
When I go to use the stone though, I may alter, refresh, or change to working surface.
One main consideration is that the entire working surface is continuous, consistent all over. I don't want patches where the stone is more shiny or more matte, or more marked up, or whatever.

The second any slurry is made by a Nagura, the top you saw before the stone was wet is, essentially, gone.
What was seen originally was just a starting point. How it was slurried and what it was slurried with determines the working surface condition.
Sometimes I prep a surface with a Botan, other times a Tomo. Once in a while I used another Awasedo. When I am in a rush I might leave the Atoma surface and just work the 1st Mikawa Nagura, or even a Tomo Nagura, vigorously.

A super hard Tomo used to slurry a semi-hard Honzan that was finish lapped with 600x will leave a different surface condition, in a tactile and practical sense, than one found a super hard Honzan polished to 600x and then slurried with a semi-soft Tomo.

Top Bottom