What's new

JNAT Finishing

How do you finish

• Slurry only and hone till a mud

• Slurry and progressively dilute to water only

• Water only

• Other: Please describe in thread

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just wondering how people generally finish on their JNat. I know being natural stones that every one is different. I just received my Oozuku Asagi from Maksim today and am definitely going to experiment all the ways.

Just curious as to how people finish on theirs.

Edit: I can't vote yet as I don't know my stone, but I'm going to start out with just slurry to mud to begin with.

Last edited:
On an Iwasaki stone I've had (that is for sale now), finishing with slurry until it turns into a thick mud is the best. Water only or thin slurry gave a very harsh edge that was much less smooth and sharp than the edge off of very thick slurry.

I'm still playing with a new stone that I recently got and will also test out an Ozuuku from Maxim. I'll post once I figure out what's best on those stones.

I think Maxim suggested to me with that stone, 10 -30 laps water only would be best. I haven't experimented much as I got these sprays soon after the Asagi.

I think Maxim suggested to me with that stone, 10 -30 laps water only would be best. I haven't experimented much as I got these sprays soon after the Asagi.

:lol:

Maksim suggested to me to use a Toma Nagura. Regardless, there is only one way to figure out.

I've only used mine a couple of times so far but I've got a nice finish by raising a slurry with my DMT and honing until it turned to thickish mud. I did add a couple of drops of water a couple of times to enable me to keep honing longer.

Using an Asagi here. Some blades I use light slurry, change to water then go dry. Some I just use water. It depends on the razor. They all seem to be a little different and the differences that I am talking about in the edge are very subtle. With of my heavier razors I like edges that are on the verge of being a little raspy, just a touch.

Later,
Richard

Last edited:
Just wondering how people generally finish on their JNat. I know being natural stones that every one is different. I just received my Oozuku Asagi from Maksim today and am definitely going to experiment all the ways.

Just curious as to how people finish on theirs.

Edit: I can't vote yet as I don't know my stone, but I'm going to start out with just slurry to mud to begin with.
A tip from me,
start with slurry and dilute to finish with water.

Water as I showed in my video works with some stones better than others. Though it is can be an improvement over some other finishers it is below what sharpness you can get with slurry.

I polish with slurry until muddy then dilute until the slurry breaks down and gets it's hazy look on the bevel. Best finishing results. Video will come up soon, I have a lot of traveling these next few weeks.

A tip from me,

Oh yeah.........what he said:001_smile

On an Iwasaki stone I've had (that is for sale now), finishing with slurry until it turns into a thick mud is the best. Water only or thin slurry gave a very harsh edge that was much less smooth and sharp than the edge off of very thick slurry.

I'm still playing with a new stone that I recently got and will also test out an Ozuuku from Maxim. I'll post once I figure out what's best on those stones.

Oh man I have the same stone and try from thick slurry with a Honzan. I usually reslurry as soon as it begins to get pasty and do this with this stone about 4 times. You want to remove all the scratches here at this stage but this is where you will usually make a mistake and progress too soon. When you see the haze come off you can proceed to polish. If you dilute too soon that may be why you are getting a harsh edge. You want the particles to break down.

As soon as it starts popping hairs just keep honing until it gets sticky, not pasty. You want the slurry to be moist but I learned on this stone diluting like others doesn't get as good results YMMV

I really like this stone and have two of them now and they are both identical in results. It's a very nice stone, small but circle pattern works best for me but X will still get the job done.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Pretty much Slurry only and hone till a mud.

A tip from me,

Thanks - will give it a try. Took a razor tonight and honed on slurry, though not quite to mud. I think it degraded my coticule edge a bit.

Looks like I have some serious experimenting to do as I know this is a good stone. Hopefully I don't lose patience and switch back to my escher or Frankonian, but I'll keep at it.

On my Nakayama, I hone on slurry to the point it's a thick paste. I stay on that paste for a while to promote its breakdown. I can tell it's good when the paste turns from cement-like into butter-like. Than I dilute it with a few drops of water to a more fluent consistency and finish with 50-100 X-strokes.

I've also had good results crunching the slurry with a glass rod, instead of doing it with razor.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Three of my four are 'penultimate' stones work best with dilute slurry sequences. I refresh the slurry each time before it gets thick/pasty in order to promote sharpening more than polishing (want coarser particles). If I finish on these stones, I either let it go to paste (for finer particles), or I dilute to ~close to water (depends on the stone).

For the final polisher, I use a very dilute slurry and very little water. Here, I refresh at increasing dilution to finish.

Varying the pressure and torque on the blade also has a big effect for me.
Sometimes, I just let the mystical Carnac advise me. :arabia:

I raise a slurry with a DMT about the consistency of milk and hone until it thickens. Repeat at least once or until the edge looses the hazy finish nagura slurry produces. Then I raise another slurry and hone the razor until the slurry becomes a thin film on the hone.

This process works well for all my Japanese naturals. The variable is how many rounds are required.

I am not sure what I would pick and here's why:

I start off when I am finishing on a Tomonagura Honzan mud/slurry and then work in circle strokes until the mud thickens a bit or turns dark from steel.

I then rinse the hone and start with new slurry but this time it is thinner than before. I do two sets of 20 circles and then 10 X strokes and then dilute, I repeat until I am just on water and finish with about 30 light X strokes.

Thanks for all the input guys!

I'm just going to have to do extensive testing on mine to figure it out. Not sure why I need another finisher as my escher, cotis, and Frankonian all give great edges.

But.....HAD is HAD and all this JNat talk around here got me curious.

Top Bottom