JNAT Finishing

How do you finish

• Slurry only and hone till a mud

• Slurry and progressively dilute to water only

• Water only

• Other: Please describe in thread

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thanks for all the input guys!

I'm just going to have to do extensive testing on mine to figure it out. Not sure why I need another finisher as my escher, cotis, and Frankonian all give great edges.

But.....HAD is HAD and all this JNat talk around here got me curious.
I have tried Eschers and cotis, but my Oozukos beat all of them in terms of performance. When you learn your stone try shave right off of it , then try shave off any of your other stones and see what the difference is.

I have tried Eschers and cotis, but my Oozukos beat all of them in terms of performance. When you learn your stone try shave right off of it , then try shave off any of your other stones and see what the difference is.

Will do. It is hard for me to imagine a better edge than an escher, but that is why I sprung for a quality JNat to begin with.

And of course, therein lies teh rub...:001_rolle

:lol:

I'm glad, now I can't wait for my Oozuku asagi to come from jns!

The correct answer is (d) all of the above :001_smile
I rarely finish any 2 razors the same way.
So many variations in stones, steel & also the state of the razor pre finish will not give you a magic formula. You really just have to get to know your own stone... but that's the fun part:001_cool:

The correct answer is (d) all of the above :001_smile
I rarely finish any 2 razors the same way.
So many variations in stones, steel & also the state of the razor pre finish will not give you a magic formula. You really just have to get to know your own stone... but that's the fun part:001_cool:

+1 :thumbup1:

Harvitz, 'Grats on grabbing an eastern rock.

Mine is VERY slow, but with the right patience and experimentation, the edges are undoubtedly the best I've gotten to date.

You can read and laugh at my travails:
[URL="http://www.straightrazorplace.com/forums/advanced-honing-topics/62223-proper-activities-first-date-w-jnat.html"/URL]

I've only been at it a couple months, so there's much learning yet to do. After lapping, and smoothing some rough spots from natural gouges, the first thing I did was see how fast it was. 20 strokes - darken any water or slurry? In my case - no. Hundreds of strokes are common, but this morning was another all time best shave from the faithful Genco.

Many say that water only leaves edges harsh. Perhaps that is what happens w/ a fast stone. Initially, water gave best edges - no slurry. I started out using WAY too thick slurry. For my rock, 1% milk appearance was as thick as I wanted to go anymore. If your rock darkens water/slurry in 20 strokes - you may need only a few strokes w/ light to moderate slurry, then test shave to see if you want any more keenness. Need more? A few laps on water only to adjust.

My current protocol is light slurry to bone dry surface. Re-wet, do it again. This is coming off a c12k before the asagi. If you try a micro bevel - be prepared for shapton 30k sharp, though on mine its much smoother.

Harvitz, 'Grats on grabbing an eastern rock.

Mine is VERY slow, but with the right patience and experimentation, the edges are undoubtedly the best I've gotten to date.

You can read and laugh at my travails:
[URL="http://www.straightrazorplace.com/forums/advanced-honing-topics/62223-proper-activities-first-date-w-jnat.html"/URL]

I've only been at it a couple months, so there's much learning yet to do. After lapping, and smoothing some rough spots from natural gouges, the first thing I did was see how fast it was. 20 strokes - darken any water or slurry? In my case - no. Hundreds of strokes are common, but this morning was another all time best shave from the faithful Genco.

Many say that water only leaves edges harsh. Perhaps that is what happens w/ a fast stone. Initially, water gave best edges - no slurry. I started out using WAY too thick slurry. For my rock, 1% milk appearance was as thick as I wanted to go anymore. If your rock darkens water/slurry in 20 strokes - you may need only a few strokes w/ light to moderate slurry, then test shave to see if you want any more keenness. Need more? A few laps on water only to adjust.

My current protocol is light slurry to bone dry surface. Re-wet, do it again. This is coming off a c12k before the asagi. If you try a micro bevel - be prepared for shapton 30k sharp, though on mine its much smoother.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm just going to have to experiment, though probably won't get to for awhile.

I'm determined to work through restoring all the straights in my pile from my initial SRAD and have just been using my escher or frankonian to finish as they are very consistent and easy for me to use.

When I get to my personal razors that I want to keep from that pile I'll start playing around with the Asagi.

Well finally got around to honing one of my personal razors, a Coral Japanese western I got from JimR's blog.

Took it up to a coticule finish via dilucot and then raised a slurry on my Oozuku Asagi with a DMT 1200 (instead of the toma nagura maxim provided).

Proceeded to hone and slowly dilute to just water. Finished with 30 x-stroked on water only.

The shave was great! :thumbup1: I was initially worried I failed again as my WTG pass seemed to not remove as much as usual (though it is always hard for me to tell a lot on this pass). After my ATG pass though, which was quite smooth and the razor glided over my face I ended up with a great BBS shave.

Can't wait to see how long this lasts to compare to the Frankonian I've been playing around with a lot lately.

Next attempts on the Asagi I'm going to use the Toma Nagura to raise my slurry and proceed the same. Fun, Fun testing :thumbup:

Well finally got around to honing one of my personal razors, a Coral Japanese western I got from JimR's blog.

Took it up to a coticule finish via dilucot and then raised a slurry on my Oozuku Asagi with a DMT 1200 (instead of the toma nagura maxim provided).

Proceeded to hone and slowly dilute to just water. Finished with 30 x-stroked on water only.

The shave was great! :thumbup1: I was initially worried I failed again as my WTG pass seemed to not remove as much as usual (though it is always hard for me to tell a lot on this pass). After my ATG pass though, which was quite smooth and the razor glided over my face I ended up with a great BBS shave.

Can't wait to see how long this lasts to compare to the Frankonian I've been playing around with a lot lately.

Next attempts on the Asagi I'm going to use the Toma Nagura to raise my slurry and proceed the same. Fun, Fun testing :thumbup:
try to us the stone without the DMt.
Smooth it very well with your coticule, and see how that will change the result.

Sweet, sounds like you're having fun with it. IMO the best results are when you think it's not cutting anything and then you touch it and it's smooth, that's how a razor should be cutting. Razor should be a silent follicle killer:tongue_sm

Sweet, sounds like you're having fun with it. IMO the best results are when you think it's not cutting anything and then you touch it and it's smooth, that's how a razor should be cutting. Razor should be a silent follicle killer:tongue_sm

That's also pretty much the experience that I explained in a thread I posted a while back about getting the 'velvet squeegee'. Felt like the razor wasn't even on my face. Kind of an astounding feeling. Unfortunately, I have only been able to get that on this one razor so far...

That's also pretty much the experience that I explained in a thread I posted a while back about getting the 'velvet squeegee'. Felt like the razor wasn't even on my face. Kind of an astounding feeling. Unfortunately, I have only been able to get that on this one razor so far...

I get it on and off. Some razors came to me that way and then I recreated that myself. Some came that way and I still can't get it back. Some only do it on the later passes. For example, I honed up my Filly EPBD recently on a new Japanese rock (Nakayama Asagi) and the edge felt good but not awesome WTG. On the XTG/ATG-ish 2nd pass, the razor felt smoother than any other razor I've tried. The edge almost felt like the bevel was a U and not a V, but it was definitely cutting hair without any trouble.

I get it on and off. Some razors came to me that way and then I recreated that myself. Some came that way and I still can't get it back. Some only do it on the later passes. For example, I honed up my Filly EPBD recently on a new Japanese rock (Nakayama Asagi) and the edge felt good but not awesome WTG. On the XTG/ATG-ish 2nd pass, the razor felt smoother than any other razor I've tried. The edge almost felt like the bevel was a U and not a V, but it was definitely cutting hair without any trouble.

That is kind of how this razor felt. It was good, but not great WTG. However my XTG and ATG passes were super smooth. Definitely a different edge than anything I've experienced from my other finishers.

That is kind of how this razor felt. It was good, but not great WTG. However my XTG and ATG passes were super smooth. Definitely a different edge than anything I've experienced from my other finishers.

I've had JNAT edges that felt perfect on the WTG, too, but I wasn't the one who did the honing (except in two cases). I only used to shave with a pure XTG before, so I don't know how those edges would feel on the XTG/ATG-ish pass I do now. It is kinda weird that an OK edge on WTG feels so much better on the later usually harder (for me) passes.

I've had JNAT edges that felt perfect on the WTG, too, but I wasn't the one who did the honing (except in two cases). I only used to shave with a pure XTG before, so I don't know how those edges would feel on the XTG/ATG-ish pass I do now. It is kinda weird that an OK edge on WTG feels so much better on the later usually harder (for me) passes.

Same here as that is usually not the case with my other finishers. If I don't have a good WTG off a escher, coti, CF, etc. I know it's not going to be good for XTG and ATG.

That is why this edge was quite weird to me, but the end result was really great.

Well I may be becoming a JNAT convert. Finished another razor this evening using the slurry from my Toma Nagura that Maxim provided and honed for awhile till it was a mud. Then I progressively diluted to just water only.

The resulting shave was as smooth as can be and the ultimate test of a great edge was when I splash on some Alt-Innsbruck and didn't even get any alcohol burn :thumbup:

Now what should I get for my next Jnat :tongue_sm

Well I may be becoming a JNAT convert. Finished another razor this evening using the slurry from my Toma Nagura that Maxim provided and honed for awhile till it was a mud. Then I progressively diluted to just water only.

The resulting shave was as smooth as can be and the ultimate test of a great edge was when I splash on some Alt-Innsbruck and didn't even get any alcohol burn :thumbup:

Now what should I get for my next Jnat :tongue_sm
Maxim sells extremely fine stones, I doubt you will be able to find anything finer. Now if you want to build some sort of progression you can look into a prepolisher.

I concur with getting a pre-polisher. Some of the stones that are a little softer and less fine, not a lot just a little, have such nice feedback that it is really very enjoyable to use them. They offer a feedback that is very similar to a Coticule and as such you can tell the shape of the blade by the sound and feel that is diminished by my hard Asagi. Don't get me wrong the Asagi I have is very nice but yet it is nice to work with a courser stone once in a while.

Take Care,
Richard

Top Bottom