What's new

January 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in, I've had gastric flu the last few days and haven't managed to shave since Wednesday, so quite a lot of growth today! I just went for a nice and easy two pass ATG shave but the razor and blade combo felt a bit tuggy in parts.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- Clinique for Men Exfoliating Tonic
- King of Shaves Advanced Shave Oil
- Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood Cream (sample)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic acid
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood Aftershave Balm (sample)
- Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86
- Gillette King C (3)
- Antica Barberia Mondial Boar

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
A terrific Sunday shave... A new SS Shark in the red tip Super Speed; Simpsons Eagle G3 in Super Badger; Proraso 'white' soap; St Johns West Indian Lime Cologne and a little Proraso 'white' balm.

I may be in restraint when it comes to shopping but when I shave I ain't holdin' nuthin' back!*

*This makes no sense logically but that's just the way us regular folks 'spress ourselfs.

Great Gem Featherweight shave today. The fat had some cracks forming so I gave it a few drops of water about an hour before I shaved. It all seemed to work, I got just enough water in the fat to really get a nice lather out of it.
Still in!
0117211407a.jpg

Have to drop out. I was on the waiting list for the Lambda Razor and my turn came up.

I hope it's everything you want it to be - the Lambda certainly seems to be an esoteric acquisition! Maybe it's your RAD-killer? As usual, please feel free to play along at home and we'll hope to see you next month.

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @SharpieB
3) @RumpleBearskin
4) @Roedeer
5) @Owen Bawn
6) @‘Bout Time
7) @Sinnbad11
8) @SillyPancake
9) @CzechCzar
10) BigD - out (1/17: Lambda razor)
11) @Doti B
12) @Kyle89
13) @MaineYooper
14) @henrickd - Annual
15) @Pepin - Annual
16) @Schnitzel52
17) @redrako
18) @Contact_vs_Feedback - Annual
19) @4and20blackbirds
20) @Stuart Ganis
21) @Abz88
22) Tomo - out (1/13: Honing oil)
23) @Jmp63 - Annual
24) @cryhavoc - Annual
25) @mattps1 - Annual
26) @AZBronco
27) @02flhtci
28) @hopper_64
29) @Leverspro
30) @JCarr - Annual
31) Vaporstang - out (1/14: SR)
32) @pdieten - Annual

Still in.

Felt like a change, so

Preshave: Hot washcloth, KoS Blue oil
Soap: Palmolive, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: Rockwell 6C R4, German Wilkinson #1
Post-shave: Brut AS, Nivea Balm.

Haven't used the chrome Rockwell or a Wilkinson blade for about a year. The modern Wilkinson gives acceptable results, but isn't as good as an Astra SP. Got a relaxing DFS.

Still in. Today’s shave.
Razor: Karve SS SB-B
Blade: Astra SS (so smooth!)
Brush: 22mm SHD bulb in Maggard bronze handle
Soap & A/S: Captain’s Choice Venture
The Astra SS and the Karve B plate was an incredibly smooth combination. I had to check multiple times that I had put a blade in the razor. Not the closest shave, but the razor and blade combo made it feel like I could have shaved dry. But the CC was fantastic as well. Great shave today!
5AFF88EF-D72A-442B-B6CD-753BFE86ED8F.jpeg

Still going, no temptations.
I've been stuck with the same kit all of Jan so far for travel, probably the longest period I've shaved with the same items over and over since becoming a shaving enthusiast a few years back. That is:

1930s Gillette new deluxe on 1920s New Improved tuckaway handle
1970-80 Wilkinson Sword White 3 stripe blades
2020 Simpsons Classic 1 Two Band
2020 SV 70th Soap

sotd 4-Jan.jpg

It turns out I've been going through a forming, storming, norming, performing cycle with my shaving kit. At the start the kit/team selection made sense, which soon turned to cursing the smaller tuckaway handle, bemoaning the blades, dreaming of bigger brushes. After that period of working out the differences and pros/cons, I reached auto-pilot. Now it's all working out happily with only 2 passes, less lather, less fuss.
Given enough time, patience and discipline it's amazing how perceptions and experiences evolve, and you can make the best of a situation without changing the tangible aspects. I'm hoping this mindset will get me through the long game of the yearly restraint !

I'm on what I think is 10 day of the current Wilkinson blade, I'm surprised, the thing seems plenty sharp, very smooth and knocking out damn-fine shaves. Definitely a case of YMMV

Top Bottom