What's new

January 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

I’m out - Honing oil

Sometimes it’s the little things that trip us up. After discovering how great the Coticule edges are when finished on oil, I went on a mission to find the best honing oil I could. I tried everything in the house from mineral oil, clipper oil, lamp oil and various mixtures of the above. Eventually the lure of the much touted Singer Sewing Machine oil was too strong and I bought a bottle to try... Works great BTW.

View attachment 1208338
I am out. I shouldn't have been in. I forgot that I had placed the opening bid on an "Antique Emil Thiel" straight razor on the auction site. At the time I assumed I would be out bid and totally forgot about it when entering. Lo and behold, I won it for $9.99.

Good luck to everyone else! I will catch you in February...
Well, we made it to the 13th before bodies started dropping - not bad at all! Looks like the SR crew is having the toughest time, but we'll probably have some DE folks folding soon enough. I'm a cynical optimist; I would like for everyone to make it through, but I know that's not going to happen. :|

The important part is to pick yourself up and get back on the path. Feel free to play along at home and we'll hope to see you next month.

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @SharpieB
3) @RumpleBearskin
4) @Roedeer
5) @Owen Bawn
6) @‘Bout Time
7) @Sinnbad11
8) @SillyPancake
9) @CzechCzar
10) @BigD
11) @Doti B
12) @Kyle89
13) @MaineYooper
14) @henrickd - Annual
15) @Pepin - Annual
16) @Schnitzel52
17) @redrako
18) @Contact_vs_Feedback - Annual
19) @4and20blackbirds
20) @Stuart Ganis
21) @Abz88
22) Tomo - out (1/13: Honing oil)
23) @Jmp63 - Annual
24) @cryhavoc - Annual
25) @mattps1 - Annual
26) @AZBronco
27) @02flhtci
28) @hopper_64
29) @Leverspro
30) @JCarr - Annual
31) Vaporstang - out (1/14: SR)

Jeez, what an idiot - I posted the wrong lather shot! The one with the OS mug is correct, but the brush shot is from September. Let's set the record straight with the correct brush shot:

SOTD_011421_1.jpg

SOTyesterD
  • Rockwell 6S/4
  • Nacet (21)
  • The Mug of Gross
  • Semogue SOC Taj boar
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Spice ASB
  • Dominica Bay Rum AS
Lather pics, as promised after the first face-lather:

View attachment 1208994
View attachment 1208993

Lather from the Mug of Gross is not pretty, but it's easy to whip up and it's slick as all get-out. :)

I'll shave again later today with the same set-up.

Oh, and there's CLBOS lurking the background!

... my all weather " fits well in all shave " blade Wilkinson Sword new blade ...

The blade was a dud !?...

Sad to hear you had a bad experience with a Winkinson Sword blade. It is one of my favorites and I have not yet experienced a bad one. Quality control is not what it once was for sure.

SOTyesterD
  • Rockwell 6S/4
  • Nacet (21)
  • The Mug of Gross
  • Semogue SOC Taj boar
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Spice ASB
  • Dominica Bay Rum AS
Lather pics, as promised after the first face-lather:

View attachment 1208994
View attachment 1208993

Lather from the Mug of Gross is not pretty, but it's easy to whip up and it's slick as all get-out. :)

I'll shave again later today with the same set-up.

Oh, and there's CLBOS lurking the background!
Love your tub of "gross"! That name leaves a pretty wide spectrum of possible contributions. 😎. With that Tag boar you're definitely set for life for brushes. 😔

Still in!

Had a bad shave with the GEM yesterday. Decided on ditching the blade for a new one. Took out a fresh blade this morning and noticed an imperfection on the edge. Tossed it and opened up another one. Blade looked fine, so gave it a go.

Stopped after the first pass. This was early this morning. If I feel my face right now, I still feel it. 3 bad blades in a row? Yikes! I like those GEM stainless blades too.

Still in!

Had a bad shave with the GEM yesterday. Decided on ditching the blade for a new one. Took out a fresh blade this morning and noticed an imperfection on the edge. Tossed it and opened up another one. Blade looked fine, so gave it a go.

Stopped after the first pass. This was early this morning. If I feel my face right now, I still feel it. 3 bad blades in a row? Yikes! I like those GEM stainless blades too.
Maybe something happened to the razor so it's not holding the blade correctly?

Sad to hear you had a bad experience with a Winkinson Sword blade. It is one of my favorites and I have not yet experienced a bad one. Quality control is not what it once was for sure.

Yeah, quality control or the once in 10,000 batches dud blade that we studied in Probability chapter, I was surprised as well.

That was a once in a Red Moon kind of shave, every thing went against me that day. I'm just glad not to have drawn blood that day.

Last edited:
Still in, and back to one of my favourite doubles.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, Mixed oil
Soap: Palmolive, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razors: GC.84 OC, Wizamet #9, GC.68, Personna Super Platinum Chrome #2
Post-shave: Brut AS, Nivea Balm.

As usual, the open comb made short work of the easy stuff.

The combination of a smooth vintage blade and safety bar Game Changer .68 is ideal for doing the ATG and tidyup. Relaxing near-BBS.

Of the razor doubles I've tried so far, this is probably the one that consistently gets the best results with the least effort.

Having looked at the Italian Barber "aggression" chart in an email (unwise, I know), I'm wondering if I would like an .84 JAWS plate (they rank it higher than their standard OC), but that's not an itch I'm desperate to scratch.

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @SharpieB
3) @RumpleBearskin
4) @Roedeer
5) @Owen Bawn
6) @‘Bout Time
7) @Sinnbad11
8) @SillyPancake
9) @CzechCzar
10) @BigD
11) @Doti B
12) @Kyle89
13) @MaineYooper
14) @henrickd - Annual
15) @Pepin - Annual
16) @Schnitzel52
17) @redrako
18) @Contact_vs_Feedback - Annual
19) @4and20blackbirds
20) @Stuart Ganis
21) @Abz88
22) Tomo - out (1/13: Honing oil)
23) @Jmp63 - Annual
24) @cryhavoc - Annual
25) @mattps1 - Annual
26) @AZBronco
27) @02flhtci
28) @hopper_64
29) @Leverspro
30) @JCarr - Annual
31) Vaporstang - out (1/14: SR)
32) pdieten - Annual

Rockwell 6S Matte Black and Modern Williams with Aqua Velva.

Prep: Hot Shower
Soap: Williams Mug Soap
Razor: Blackland Blackbird Brass (OC and SB)
Blade: Personna Med Prep (1)
Brush: Zenith Boar
AS: Aqua Velva Ice Blue (Eur)
ASB: Aqua Velva (Eur)

Have a great Saturday, everyone!
[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Still in. Having no problems with restraint, and am engrossed in the family vacation. I'm mostly focused on wrangling kids, keeping wife happy and then sneaking in some trail/beach running when they aren't watching. Trying to get about 40-50Kms a week running done, plus any additional walking, the latter usually involves carrying a 3 year old person too after their legs tire 😅

I'm still shaving with New Duluxe, vintage Wilkinson blades, Simpsons Classic 1 in two-band, Saponificio Varesino 70th. Definately in auto pilot with this arrangement, great shaves, no irritation or bleeders. The vintage Wilkie blades are just marvellous, I'm on about day 8 of current blade, it comfortably mowed through 2 days growth this morning in just 2 passes. I'll be in for a shock when using a feather blade again!

Still in and just finished my shave for today
Pre-shave: Hot face wash
Brush: Omega Puro Tasso Badger brush
Razor: Merkur Mergress -setting 2
Blade: Polsilver SI
Soap: SV Felce Beta 4.3
Post shave: Alum block
SV Felce AS splash
Castle Forbes 1445 ASB
Castle Forbes 1445 EDP

Nice smooth shave with BBS and no nicks. Feeling good and smelling good also, well so SWMBO tells me 😎😎😎😎😎

Maybe something happened to the razor so it's not holding the blade correctly?
I mean, everything looked fine but it wouldn't surprise me though, it's very old and very well used during its lifetime. Got a few fresh blades left but going to put it away for a while before going back to it.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Dug out the biggest brush I own for today's attempt to liberate the Williams puck from beneath the Arko I mashed on top of it last July- the Rooney Style 3, Size 3. It towers over the M7s on the sill where it is drying. It also has a mighty bloom. To be honest I don't like it, and haven't used it in at least 5 years. It exhibits what I consider the worst characteristics of 3 band 'Super' silvertips- the loft is too high, and despite being dense it is like lathering with a soggy rag mop. But I used it today and scraped almost all of the Arko off the Williams' puck. Two or 3 more shaves and the Arko might be finished.
Also used an aging SS Shark in the red tip Super Speed, and finished up with Booster Polar Ice.

Like I said, it is yuge.

Rooney slrtp.jpeg
Rooney slrtp2.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom