What's new

January 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Ten razors and 15 different blades? I couldn't be arsed. I use a razor for years. I used to change razors each time I changed blades, but one day in 2014 I took the blade out of a 70s black handled Super Speed and instead of reaching for another razor I tossed a new blade in that one, and used it virtually every day until last November, when it really needed a major cleaning. I took out a red tip Super Speed, and despite the fact that the black handle model is all clean and shiny it got tossed in the drawer because... why not? The red tip is chugging along. I decided to do "Shark Week" last August, but I turned it into "Arko-Sharko August," and I'm still using Sharks. Not out of brand loyalty or preference (they're OK, but they aren't the best blades by any measure) but because the package of 100 blades is now on top of the pile. I'm also on a St Johns Virgin Island Bay Rum and Lime Cologne kick right now. Sure, I like them, but to be honest I'm using them because they're now in the front of the cabinet.

So I have now proven beyond all doubt that I am lazy.

Of course, a Shark in the red tip, Simpsons Chubby 1 Manchurian, Simpsons Unscented Luxury Cream, and St Johns Virgin Island Bay Rum. I'm still in restraint.
This is what today's brush looked like before it left Simpsons.
tortoise1.jpg

Ten razors and 15 different blades? I couldn't be arsed. I use a razor for years. I used to change razors each time I changed blades, but one day in 2014 I took the blade out of a 70s black handled Super Speed and instead of reaching for another razor I tossed a new blade in that one, and used it virtually every day until last November, when it really needed a major cleaning. I took out a red tip Super Speed, and despite the fact that the black handle model is all clean and shiny it got tossed in the drawer because... why not? The red tip is chugging along. I decided to do "Shark Week" last August, but I turned it into "Arko-Sharko August," and I'm still using Sharks. Not out of brand loyalty or preference (they're OK, but they aren't the best blades by any measure) but because the package of 100 blades is now on top of the pile. I'm also on a St Johns Virgin Island Bay Rum and Lime Cologne kick right now. Sure, I like them, but to be honest I'm using them because they're now in the front of the cabinet.

So I have now proven beyond all doubt that I am lazy.

Of course, a Shark in the red tip, Simpsons Chubby 1 Manchurian, Simpsons Unscented Luxury Cream, and St Johns Virgin Island Bay Rum. I'm still in restraint.
This is what today's brush looked like before it left Simpsons.
View attachment 1210536
What colour is that handle? Horn? Doesn’t look ebony but it is nice and dark.

I don’t need more brushes, asking for a friend...

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, KoS Blue oil
Soap: Palmolive, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razors: GC.84 OC, Personna Super Platinum Chrome #5, GC.68, Astra SP #1
Post-shave: Brut AS, Nivea Balm.

Moved the vintage blade to the .84, put a fresh Astra in the .68, and got a relaxing near-BBS. There's a bit under my jaw on the left that's easy to miss, and I duly missed it. I want to beat that this year.

I'm out guys, purchased a finishing stone. Have been thinking about getting into honing/straights for a while and been wanting to restore the blade on a pair of rolls razors that my dad bought. Got surprising results with the rolls finishing off with an 8k, and actually been shaving with it the past few days. Visiting my parents in a week or two, and would like to bring down one of his functioning razors with a blade finished off on a 12k. Hence, the purchase.

Ain't going wild though. So far I'm only 1 for 3 with these restraints but it really has curbed quite a bit, and I'm thankful for you guys and this thread. I hope everyone is having a good day.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Full day of work today. All online. Started the day with an excellent shave. SS Shark, red tip Super Speed, Simpsons Chubby 1 Best, Proraso 'white' soap, CeraVe moisturizer, and St Johns Virgin Island Bay Rum. Here's a tip: If you apply an unscented moisturizing cream and give it about a minute to soak in, and then use your aftershave splash, the scent from the splash will last significantly longer.
I'm still in. I smell good and I look great from the waist up.

Top Bottom