What's new

January 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in.

I still have a Manchurian Spiffo and a Simpson M7 synthetic stuck in the mail from last year, so at least I have some pretty things coming during GRUME To keep me distracted.

Simpson Colonel today with Stirling Green soap and AS. Excellent Polo green dupe and the Colonel is getting more use lately. One of Simpsons least expensive offerings, but it is an excellent brush. You would be hard pressed to find a better $50 badger brush IMO.

My wife says Green smells like every 19 year old guy in a bar in 1990. Hah!

Dug out the biggest brush I own for today's attempt to liberate the Williams puck from beneath the Arko I mashed on top of it last July- the Rooney Style 3, Size 3. It towers over the M7s on the sill where it is drying. It also has a mighty bloom. To be honest I don't like it, and haven't used it in at least 5 years. It exhibits what I consider the worst characteristics of 3 band 'Super' silvertips- the loft is too high, and despite being dense it is like lathering with a soggy rag mop. But I used it today and scraped almost all of the Arko off the Williams' puck. Two or 3 more shaves and the Arko might be finished.
Also used an aging SS Shark in the red tip Super Speed, and finished up with Booster Polar Ice.

Like I said, it is yuge.

View attachment 1209426View attachment 1209427
That knot looks like it has a small diameter. 20mm Or is it just the angle?

Still in with my super powers. Maggards 25%off shaving soap samples on a lazy weekend stuck inside? No problem. (I've got about six that I haven't touched yet). Love the boars!!
Resizer_16108156491700.jpg

That is gorgeous. I'd be curious to track with your experience of how long it stays shiny and if you try to maintain it.
I will try to do that, although it may be in the Karve Diem thread.

With the Flitz and cotton cloth, I typically touched things up every 6 months or so, mainly when the underside of the cap was getting very uneven patina. I didn't mind the darkening, as the inkwell stand shows the color, but decided to let someone with the right tools and a love of shiny things to work his magic on my razor. Thanks for the comments!

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, Nuage oil
Soap: Palmolive, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razors: GC.84 OC, Wizamet #10, GC.68, Personna Super Platinum Chrome #3
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Used these two Game Changers again, mostly on autopilot, and got an easy DFS.

Rockwell 6S Matte Black and Modern Williams with Aqua Velva.

Prep: Hot Shower
Soap: Williams Mug Soap
Razor: Blackland Blackbird Brass (OC and SB)
Blade: Personna Med Prep (1)
Brush: Zenith Boar
AS: Aqua Velva Ice Blue (Eur)
ASB: Aqua Velva (Eur)

Have a great Saturday, everyone!
[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

You know, the "trouble" with seeing your photos is that you always use that two-tone green Van Der Hagen bowl. I used one of those as my only soap bowl for some ten years, even though I dropped and broke and fixed it once, but I finally had to throw it out a couple months ago when I dropped it again and couldn't reassemble it anymore. So now I don't have one and can't buy a replacement. Not that I actually need one, but it feels weird not having one.

You know, the "trouble" with seeing your photos is that you always use that two-tone green Van Der Hagen bowl. I used one of those as my only soap bowl for some ten years, even though I dropped and broke and fixed it once, but I finally had to throw it out a couple months ago when I dropped it again and couldn't reassemble it anymore. So now I don't have one and can't buy a replacement. Not that I actually need one, but it feels weird not having one.

Gravity always wins. Metal and wooden bowls rock. They bounce. The metal ones have a tendency to wake people up when dropped. May be useful in certain situations.

Gravity always wins. Metal and wooden bowls rock. They bounce. The metal ones have a tendency to wake people up when dropped. May be useful in certain situations.

Lol :D Well, yeah, but I have a mild sentimental attachment to the green VDH bowl and it is ceramic, so if I wanted a replacement I couldn't really swap it out with one made from a different material.

The bowl my Williams soap lives in is stainless steel, and all my other ceramic mugs have handles.

Rockwell 6S Matte Black and Modern Williams with Aqua Velva.

Prep: Hot Shower
Soap: Williams Mug Soap
Razor: Rockwell 6S Matte Black (R5, R4, and R3)/Merkur Mustache Razor
Blade: Personna Med Prep (2)/Merkur Mustache Blade (??)
Brush: Zenith Boar
AS: Aqua Velva Ice Blue (Eur)
ASB: Aqua Velva (Eur)

Sunday is here, Brothers and Sisters!
[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Top Bottom