What's new

Is the finish coming off of your modern razor?

I noticed a new "hole" in the chrome under the cap of my EJ DE 87. Not unexpected since, as nice as the razor is, it is still chrome over Zinc alloy which has been discussed to death on other threads.

Not yet and I hope not ever. There has to be a percentage of failures so don't be surprised. Why the question?

I'm considering a purchase and I want to avoid brands/models with high failure rates.

Right now the newest razor I own is a 73 SS.
The two most often recommended as mild razors are the Merkur 34C or the Edwin Jagger EJ8?. I expect these are the biggest sellers and by that token I would anticipate these have a higher number of failures than other models (as I alluded to in my original reply). However, after sales service is better from Edwin Jagger than Merkur. Although I don't think the manufacturer should be the point of contact when there is a problem. The vendor should be the first port of call as they get the mark up for trading with consumers and dealing with any problems.
What type of modern razor are you looking for?

I haven't had problems with plate loss, but it's going to happen with plated razors - and once that happens, it's just a matter of time. Even the old Gillettes show plate wearing off.

Modern chrome plated razors have a potentially serious problem, however. They're made of chrome-plated Zamac, an alloy that corrodes once the plating wears off. It's not an issue with vintage razors, since the underlying metal won't rust.

Only once guaranteed solution: invest in a stainless steel razor.

Top Bottom