What's new

Best Shaving Gillette Vintage?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
It is possible to get an excellent shave with just about any Gillette razor if your technique is up to scratch. None is objectively better than any other, you might simply prefer a particular one for some intangible reason, while others may dislike the same razor for perfectly valid reasons of their own. My favourite Gillette is the English Goodwill simply because it makes me happy when I use it.

I’m interested in buying one or two vintage Gillette razors. Which model(s), in your opinion, offers the best shave and why?
It depends on what you are looking for in terms of the 'best shave'

Can you clarify what you mean by that? It helps responding posts.

Is your beard growth coarse or fine? What's your experiences with other DE razors?

Technique is indeed crucial to results.

Not all Gillettes give the same results. It depends on model, the blade pairing and a lot of other variables.

A classic pair would be a 1940's Super Speed and a Tech.

Do you want mild/efficient, mild, etc.

Fatboy or Slim IMO as it has a wide range of settings.

I also really like the Red Tip Super Speed and Aristocrat as well. The aggressiveness of both just work for me.

I am a big fan of Gillette TTO (twist to open) razors, I guess.
I'm a fan of the Super Adjustable. Partially because mine is birth year and the last of the all metal Gillette safety razors in the US. But adjustables give you a range of options, and you can change aggressiveness mid shave if you need.

Consider the 3 piece Gillettes that preceded the TTOs and TTO adjustables.

The Tech is very available and an easy entry point. Personally the New Short Comb, followed by the foolproof New Long Comb, are my two favorite Gillettes. I do have Superspeeds, an Aristocrat, Fatboys, a Slim and an 84 Super Adjustable. I find them all a bit clunkier than the 3 piece razors.

Out of a rare raised flat bottom tech, red tip rocket, and everything else in between I’m surprised how often I reach for my 40s superspeed. The older ranger techs are also slightly more assertive and nice.

The head of early flare tips seems the same but I liked my 40s style better.

The American red tip just seems unrefined. No matter which I try I can’t get a good shave from one.

Fat boys have also been nice for me.

You won't know what works best for you until you try them. What works best for me won't necessarily work best for you. Fortunately they are not terribly expensive for the most part so you can experiment.

Of the vintage Gillettes, the ones that work best for me are the Slim Adjustable and the 60s Super Speed, also the Superadjustable. Maybe because they use the same heads? I like them better than the 40s and 50s Super Speeds (more aggressive than the 60s without better shave results), Tech, New, Fatboy. The Fatboy is close, but overall I like the Slim more.

I never see any Single Ring love. I still really enjoy the 100+ year early ones. There are no problems with the shave, and once a little familiarity is gained they are darn fine shavers. And it feels good to get perfect service to this day with something so old. My Apple device can’t touch the reliability of a Gillette Single Ring!

Top Bottom