What's new

What's your favourite DE razor and why?

The RR Game Changer with the Ti handle. I love the three-piece design, the light weight and the large selection of base plates, and of course the price is right. With my chronic incurable cases of the dropsies and the losies, those $200 - $600 pieces of highly sculpted and polished shaving art are not for me.

I

Island

There are lots of good razors but the titanium blackbird stands out for me. It gives the closest shave bar far with the least irritation in one is careful and take some time. The others I've tried may be better compromises when one is in a hurry, but going slow with the others will never give quite as good a shave.

+1 on the Blackbird

Copied from the Brotherhood thread:

Recently picked up a TI Blackbird in satin finish from BST. Only my second shave in so far and really enjoying it. Its also my first full Titanium razor.

For my preferences in a razor, this TI BB had many things going AGAINST it:
I dont like shallow shavers.
I like long handles.
I like heavy razors.

Reading so many positives reviews and very high recommendation from @Latherati made me disregard my preferences and take the plunge. I am so glad that I did. It provides the closest shave yet vs all my other razors (especially under my chin/neck area). I also love the audio feedback. This audio feedback makes it easier to buff certain areas to make my skin feel like glass yet somehow still avoid irritation. The “hype” around this razor is real!

Just as an FYI - I have only been wetshaving for almost a year but these are some of the other razors I have owned or previously owned/tried:

Rockwell 6s
ATT - R1
Razorock Mamba .70
Gamechanger .84 and JAWS 84
Razorock SLOC
Lupo .72 and .95 (these were my previous favorites with the ATT-R1 being a close 2nd)
IMG_4705.jpeg
IMG_4709.jpeg

Tough call but I'll have to go with my 1953 (Y2) Gillette Super Speed.
For one thing, it was a gift to me from a wonderful forum member just prior to my 70th birthday. This is not only a birth year razor but from the same quarter of the year (April/May/June) that I was born.
Of course, none of that would mean anything if it didn't deliver a great shave. But it does every, single time. The TTO mechanism is flawless, it's pristine and just a great razor.

proxy.php

If I had to pick a modern razor that's my favorite, it would be my Rockwell 6C.

proxy.php
As the owner of a 1953 Superspeed (also a Y2), I can agree with you! I wish I was old enough to have a birth year razor 🥴

+1 on the Blackbird

Copied from the Brotherhood thread:

Recently picked up a TI Blackbird in satin finish from BST. Only my second shave in so far and really enjoying it. Its also my first full Titanium razor.

For my preferences in a razor, this TI BB had many things going AGAINST it:
I dont like shallow shavers.
I like long handles.
I like heavy razors.

Reading so many positives reviews and very high recommendation from @Latherati made me disregard my preferences and take the plunge. I am so glad that I did. It provides the closest shave yet vs all my other razors (especially under my chin/neck area). I also love the audio feedback. This audio feedback makes it easier to buff certain areas to make my skin feel like glass yet somehow still avoid irritation. The “hype” around this razor is real!

Just as an FYI - I have only been wetshaving for almost a year but these are some of the other razors I have owned or previously owned/tried:

Rockwell 6s
ATT - R1
Razorock Mamba .70
Gamechanger .84 and JAWS 84
Razorock SLOC
Lupo .72 and .95 (these were my previous favorites with the ATT-R1 being a close 2nd)
View attachment 1711117View attachment 1711118
The more you use the Ti Bird the more you are going to like it.

Last edited:
I have too many to pick one favorite. However, the Merkur 15c will always have a special place because it was the first razor I used that gave me irritation-free shaves and the one that I fully mastered first. I call it my get right razor because if I end up irritating my face with another razor, I can always pull it out and get right on the next shave.
Me too. It's a sanctuary for me.

DSC_0011 50.jpg

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
My list is not entirely relevant to blade pairings.

My favorite razor is the "Travalong" because the designer abandoned all the normal structures of Gillette DE and used a completely different concept to create a fatboy-sized razor - it can be folded into the size of a box of blades and can be stored Five blades.

I didn't even want to leave this razor, so I always kept it in my bag when going out and bought a backup of course.
img_1_1696822165591.jpg

The list has more than one category.
The "Best Art Award" I would give to "Cintika", these weird razors are the treasures displayed in my shave den, and they are not expensive.
img_3_1696822194730.jpg

For the "Modern Design Style" award, "Pils" is the winner in my mind, especially the unique and interesting use of inertial rotation to open the head with one hand.
img_4_1696822237530.jpg

"Best shaving performance" I will award to "Olaf Rasmussen", "Charcoal goods" and "Tatara Muramasa". Their performance and mechanical mechanisms give me the most worry-free and comfortable skin feeling.
img_5_1696822347110.jpg

img_6_1696822376082.jpg

img_7_1696822434485.jpg

The award for "Best Craftsmanship" goes to Wolfman of course. I can't think of a more perfect word to describe this razor other than "perfect". Of course, its shave is unparalleled.
img_1_1696823988652.jpg

Yes, I'm greedy because these razors are top notch.
Or maybe I was a passionate emperor in my previous life.
If I were just looking at shaving results, the list would probably be longer.

Attachments

• img_1_1696822165591.jpg
    img_1_1696822165591.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 6
There is also the Lupo .95 OC and the Game Changer .84 in SB, OC and JAWS. And their Chinese clones with sometimes slight deviations. Like a scalloped cap or all made of titanium, if you like a light handle/razor.

This info is only relevant if you like collecting razors like a madman, which isn't unlikely as you just posted on Badger & Blade. 🕊️
Yes, give it time.

Having the following, RazoRock Mamba 70, Pearl Flexi, Dscosmetic T7-SE, Parker 78R, Merkur 34G, Yaqi Melon, my vote easily goes to the Dscosmetic T7-SE.

My first purchase was the RazoRock Mamba 70. Having never seen a safety razor in the flesh, I had no idea what to expect when it arrived. I can say this, the Mamba 70 is simply an incredible little work of art. It is so well finished, with zero flaws in the machining and the polished portions are simply outstanding. I tried the Astra Green, Nacets, Wilkinsons, Silver Blues and found the Greens and Nacets to be too aggressive. Ended up settling on the Wilkinsons and Silver Blues with this one and am happy with the results. Such a sharp little razor.

The Pearl Flexi though it is a very nice built razor, I have only found the Gillette Minora blade to work really well for me on setting 1-2. Anymore and there is too much blade feel for my wussy face. Using the Nacet or Astra Greens... I have to be extremely slow and patient or I end up with weepers.

Parker 78R... not sure what to say about this one... It along side the Merkur 34 have been described as two of the mildest razors available, and some have said the 78R has better finishing over the Merkur. This 'could' be true if comparing the 78R against the 34C, but definitely not when comparing against the 34G. Having both, the 34G is without a doubt a better finished razor. Thus far with the 78R, I have not found a blade to my liking and will either have to try out a few more or simply sell it.

Next we have the Merkur 34G. What can I say? I really wanted a gold razor and after having purchased a Fatip frst (garbage blade alignment), I picked this one up afterwards and should have simply purchased the 34G first. it is extremely well finished, the dial on the bottom turns very smoothly allowing for easy blade changes. The blades align perfectly every time. Where's the negatives...? Right here... another razor I cannot find a really nice blade pairing with. Will take some time I think, as the last time I used it (with a Gillette Minora) it shaved so close on my chin I suffered ingrown hairs for 10 days afterwards. This silly thing is so pretty, I just cannot get rid of it.

The Yaqi Melon! The first bits of information I came across on this one was just how mild it is. I decided to first try out the Astra Green with it and HOLY &%^$!!! Maybe it is just me, but the blade feel was immense, the closeness level was a full out 10 and I had to alum at least 20 of the tinniest weepers ever. it shaved so close, it took my tan off! I decided to give it a good cleaning, alcohol wash and put it away.

Next we have the Dscosmetic T7-SE. I read the Dscosmetic T7-SE is supposed to be a knockoff of the RazoRock Mamba 70. Side by side the top cap and baseplate appear to be identical, but in reality, the Dscosmetic T7-SE is a just a hair more aggresssive shave when using the same blade. This results in using a slightly less sharp blade in the Dscosmetic T7-SE (Parker, Derby Premium, Willy's, Treet), whereas I can use a sharper blade in the Mamba 70 (Wilkinson Sword, Gillette Silver Blue), and have equally nice shaves.

Is the Mamba a better razor (top cap/baseplate) than the Dscosmetic T7-SE? Quality wise yes, as the Mamba is solid SS, whereas the Dscosmetic T7-SE is chrome plated. Due to the chrome plating on the Dscosmetic T7-SE, I use a washer between the baseplate and handle to ensure the handle does not chip the plating at all.

I like the Dscosmetic T7-SE so much, I purchased three back up heads which I have in storage. I have found out on too many occasions when you find a good thing, it is always good to have a back up before they are unavailable. Wish Dscos would make this one in SS.

And the final reason I choose the Dscosmetic T7-SE over the Mamba 70 is solely due to having 4 blade options which work very well for me and only two so far in the Mamba 70.

It truly is peculiar how one blade works so wonderfully in a specific razor and yet so poorly in another. All part of the game we call shaving. Stay safe out there and have a great day everyone.

Top Bottom