What's new

What's your favourite DE razor and why?

My copper Karve Overlander is my favourite. I’ve tried many other razors, but at least for me, nothing surpasses the Overlander’s combination of smoothness and efficiency. I’m a daily shaver and the Overlander is a great daily driver. I don’t get irritation, nicks, weepers or raw-feeling skin after my shaves.

The Overlander isn’t the most efficient razor I own. And I do need to do a bit more cleanup around the jawline than I do with some other razors. But I know that cleanup will be safe - no irritation or nicks - which is something I do get from time to time with more efficient razors.

One of the big complaints I’ve seen people have with the Overlander is that there’s some drag. There definitely is some, but it doesn’t bother me. And the copper I think has a bit more drag than the others (I also use the Brass, Stainless Steel and Bronze models). I’m a fan of heavy razors and the copper is slightly heavier than the other metals. It also conducts heat better. After a rinse in hot water, the copper razor head feels great on the skin.

I’ve also enjoyed watching the copper slowly patina. My razor is only about a year old, so there’s no green yet. The metal has darkened and there are some spots, but I think it adds character.

I do like to rotate my razors at least weekly, but I always come back to the copper Overlander. I’m considering rotating less and using it a lot more frequently.

IMG_1668.jpeg

I

Island

The outlander is a great razor and against the grain, it is the best I've used. Overall it is more efficient than a Masamune, Feather AS-D2, and Timeless .95 sb. It is about equal to a Nodachi, but smoother. Buffing is not irritating, but I often use a blackbird Ti for finishing as it is quicker and a bit closer. I understand why it is so popular. The feather might be a bit smoother but requires a very exact angle to get as close a shave as the Overlander and I often can't get that close.

Top Bottom