What's new

Best Shaving Gillette Vintage?

It depends on what you are looking for in terms of the 'best shave'

Can you clarify what you mean by that? It helps responding posts.

Is your beard growth coarse or fine? What's your experiences with other DE razors?

Technique is indeed crucial to results.

Not all Gillettes give the same results. It depends on model, the blade pairing and a lot of other variables.

A classic pair would be a 1940's Super Speed and a Tech.

Do you want mild/efficient, mild, etc.
And this is why I've never dipped my toes into these muddy, deep waters.

Much as the concept appeals to me, I can't seem to correlate any version to a razor I'm familiar with. I hear many preferences, but no correlations.

I've suffered from the after effects of the wrong razor for as much as 10 days. Sensitive skin and marginally acceptable technique - that describes me.

Combine this with the potential for the razor to have been dropped, or otherwise being out of alignment, and I'm just a bit gun shy. If I suffer from a bad shave, is this razor a good sample? Do I risk 5-10 more days' discomfort by purchasing another example of the same model? Do I move on?

I can certainly minimize this possibility of an out of spec razor by avoiding TTOs and TTO adjustables (moving parts).

Perhaps this is the memory of the dreadful shaves I got with my TTO adjustable in the late 60s. The first Wilkinson cartridge razor I purchased (circa 1970) was a revelation to me at the time.

Life is too short for shredding my face until I find "the one".

Im envious of those with perfect technique and leather faces who can pick up any razor and be happy, but that's not me.

So, having written this tome, I remain open to the concept, but having found a couple of new production razors that work for me, I don't see the point in exploring this.

Of course, I may change my mind next week ;-)

... Thom

Last edited:
And this is why I've never dipped my toes into these muddy, deep waters.

Much as the concept appeals to me, I can't seem to correlate any version to a razor I'm familiar with.

I've suffered from the after effects of the wrong razor for as much as 10 days.

Combine this with the potential for the razor to have been dropped, or otherwise being out of alignment, and I'm just a bit gun shy. If I suffer from a bad shave is this razor a good sample? Do I risk 5-10 more days' discomfort by purchasing another example of the same model? Do I move on?

I can certainly minimize this possibility of an out of spec razor by avoiding TTOs and TTO adjustables.

Perhaps this is the memory of the dreadful shaves I got with my TTO adjustable in the late 60s. The first Wilkinson cartridge razor was a revelation to me at the time.

Life is too short for shredding my face until I find "the one".

Im envious of those with perfect technique and leather faces who can pick up any razor and be happy, but that's not me.

... Thom
To be honest I have never had a Gillette which has been in any way different from what I imagine the original design shave specs were.

I only have a small sample of 23 (?), of which 3 are adjustable and 7 are TTO. All function as new. A significant number of them are English manufactured. No adjustables were ever made by Gillette England.

I would go for it. Unless it is fairly obviously a lost cause from visuals, you chances of picking up a perfectly great razor are very high.

So many great choices but I would say to get a Fatboy or Slim and I highly doubt you will be disappointed. The Slim is nice but I just like the feel of the Fatboy has a better weight/balance. Any of the adjustables are a great choice. Your not stuck with finding a blade to work with the razor since you can open or close to get the best out of the blade. If your skin is sensitive you can close the gap or open it as you get comfortable. I find you get better deals on facebook marketplace or local antiques shops. You should be able to find a nice, ready to use (after a quick clean) Fatboy or slim for around $15-20 if you are not impatient. Happy hunting

To be honest I have never had a Gillette which has been in any way different from what I imagine the original design shave specs were.

I only have a small sample of 23 (?), of which 3 are adjustable and 7 are TTO. All function as new. A significant number of them are English manufactured. No adjustables were ever made by Gillette England.

I would go for it. Unless it is fairly obviously a lost cause from visuals, you chances of picking up a perfectly great razor are very high.
I'm weakening :ouch1:

... Thom

I first went with a Tech and got lucky as my first vintage and first Tech was a Flat Bottom one. I then just went with the flow and got a Gillette of each era/type. I dont have all types (yet?), but I can say that they actually all shave brilliantly on their own right. You simply cannot go wrong with a vintage Gillette.

Enjoy hunting!

Guido

They are all pretty good. My favorite is the Toggle, followed by the Tech, and afterh that the long- and short-comb News.

I'm not really a fan of the Superspeeds.

I’m interested in buying one or two vintage Gillette razors. Which model(s), in your opinion, offers the best shave and why?
I started out just wanting to buy a birth-year razor (1953) and have since added five more, all Super Speeds. I highly recommend them unless you want a super aggressive razor.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Super speeds are low key some of the greats. The NEW are also incredibly easy to get good results with.

Havent quite figured out the fatboy/slims, something about the blade raised above the base plate creates chatter and a not so smooth experience.

If you are not sure what Gillette to start your collection with. You could always start wIth an old type, then buy the rest in the chronological order in which they were released :lol:

Seriously though a Tech is a good starting point for ones collection. I love both my English Flat Bottom Tech and my post war Ball Handle. The Fatboy is also a good choice thanks to it being an adjustable, plus the tto mechanism makes changing blades rather easy. While I dont have a Slim Adjustable, I would also say that it is a good choice for the same reason as the Fatboy.

I love the Tech, but I get my best shaves from my 1978 Superadjustable (with nylon base plate, a “Black Beauty”) set on 8 and my 1966 Slim set on 9, both w a Lord family blade. The Superadjustable is the best adjustable DE in the world IMHO.

Last edited:
I know some criticize Superspeeds as too mild but look at life in the 50's and 60's. One bathroom and at least three kids. Dad didn't have time to luxuriate in the bathroom for 30 to 45 minutes. More like trying to shave while kids came in and out to use the bathroom. He had to be able to shave fast, every day. They are oh so smooth and give an easy, easy DFS to DFS+.

People are like Sailors on liberty, and asking what was best Liberty port.

Friend threw real curve ball, his favorite was Sir Lanka in 22 years in Navy.

Top Bottom