What's new

Introducing..... the Badger & Blade Essential - Prototype.....

Nice work, Joel. I was especially pleased that you noted how comfortable the brush is to hold. I've only got about 6-7 brushes, but my 2 most recent acquisitions are less comfortable to grip, even though I've taken some pains to make sure the handles are the appropriate size. (Not bad...I'm just realizing the handle is a nontrivial issue for me.) I'm pretty excited to get my hands on one; consider me firmly established in the queue! :biggrin:

Looks nice, it appears to be unused in the comparison photos..... love to see some after the bloom. :smile:

How long is the loft?

WOW!!! I've been looking for a brush to try with soaps, as I've only ever used creams. This looks to be the one! Also, I wasn't sure about the frosted handle, but now that I see it, excellent choice Joel!:w00t:

Huh. My initial feedback is that the handle doesn't look comfortable to hold at ANY angle. It looks like it would be way too "bottom heavy" when held upside while lathering in a bowl, etc. Joel -- is this brush meant mainly for face lathering or something?

Also, the pics of the unbloomed B&B Essential knot are shown next to a fully bloomed B&B 2006 and a fully bloomed PJ2. If you'll recall the B&B 2006 brush, it originally had a very tight, very small appearing knot out of the tube, but after a few uses blossomed into a VERY full/large head. Will be interesting to see this new B&B brush after full bloom (after joel whips up a bunch of latherings).

Also, the loft height of the B&B Essentials looks quite a bit longer than the loft height on the PJ2 (the side-by-side pic shows each loft height nicely) so it will definitely be an amazing feat to have such a high loft brush head be as non-flop as claimed.

I'm very interested in seeing how this develops. Good job so far, guys! :thumbup:

Huh. My initial feedback is that the handle doesn't look comfortable to hold at ANY angle. It looks like it would be way too "bottom heavy" when held upside while lathering in a bowl, etc. Joel -- is this brush meant mainly for face lathering or something?

Also, the pics of the unbloomed B&B Essential knot are shown next to a fully bloomed B&B 2006 and a fully bloomed PJ2. If you'll recall the B&B 2006 brush, it originally had a very tight, very small appearing knot out of the tube, but after a few uses blossomed into a VERY full/large head. Will be interesting to see this new B&B brush after full bloom (after joel whips up a bunch of latherings).

Also, the loft height of the B&B Essentials looks quite a bit longer than the loft height on the PJ2 (the side-by-side pic shows each loft height nicely) so it will definitely be an amazing feat to have such a high loft brush head be as non-flop as claimed.

I'm very interested in seeing how this develops. Good job so far, guys! :thumbup:

While it is true the B&B was "bloomed" - the PJ2 was not, so that is the most fair comparison - the B&B is there mostly for size reference. I'll work the brush out today and tomorrow and post some bloom pics.

As for the handle, it most certainly isn't bottom heavy... in fact if anything is top heavy. I'll post pics of the different grips it can be used in, however the design facilitates hands of ALL sizes. Again, I'll show pics of the brush in different grips - and keep in mind, I have huge hands (a little over 8 inches long by 4.5" Wide).

I don't see how it physically be top heavy -- there's barely any material at the top of the brush handle. I guess I need to clarify what I mean by "top" heavy and "bottom" heavy.

Picture yourself holding the brush upside down, like you were shaking the brush out, or lathering in a bowl. The hair knot is pointing down, and the handle is pointing up. To me, all the handle material and subsequent weight would be closest to the hair knot -- at the "bottom" of the brush in that orientation. At the "top" of the handle (again, in that orientation) is the smallest diameter of material in the handle. Unless the end of the handle farthest from the hair knot is made of a different material than the part of the handle closest to the hair knot, it would be impossible to have the brush be "top" heavy.

I'm very interested in seeing the handle being held in various positions -- preferably by different sized hands (but I realize that probably isn't possible). Also if you have abnormally larger hands (significantly larget than the average/vast majority of people on the forum) what may be ergonomically viable for very large hands might not be the same for average sized or smaller-than-average hands.

I don't see how it physically be top heavy -- there's barely any material at the top of the brush handle. I guess I need to clarify what I mean by "top" heavy and "bottom" heavy.

Picture yourself holding the brush upside down, like you were shaking the brush out, or lathering in a bowl. The hair knot is pointing down, and the handle is pointing up. To me, all the handle material and subsequent weight would be closest to the hair knot -- at the "bottom" of the brush in that orientation. At the "top" of the handle (again, in that orientation) is the smallest diameter of material in the handle. Unless the end of the handle farthest from the hair knot is made of a different material than the part of the handle closest to the hair knot, it would be impossible to have the brush be "top" heavy.

I'm very interested in seeing the handle being held in various positions -- preferably by different sized hands (but I realize that probably isn't possible). Also if you have abnormally larger hands (significantly larget than the average/vast majority of people on the forum) what may be ergonomically viable for very large hands might not be the same for average sized or smaller-than-average hands.

Jason,
I'll still post pics, but this just doesn't sound like the brush for you - I recommend you pass.

Top Bottom