What's new

BOTI Badger Knots

Hello,

A little while ago I purchased some Boti Badger knots with the idea that I would use them to set my own brushes. I noticed that there is not a great deal of information about Boti on this forum, so I thought that I would share some of my experiences.

I ordered a 19 mm High Mountain White Fan to replace an old badger knot, a 22 mm North China (NC) two band Fan , and a 24 mm Foregoer Back Silver Tip. All of these knots are designated as Ultra High Density.

If you order a brush and handle together and ask for the threaded screw option, Boti can create threads on the opening of the handle and place a screw mount on the bottom of the knot. Because I wanted to experiment with the knot loft, I did not take advantage of that possibility.

Boti’s knots are generally 65 mm in height and they recommend a loft between 53 and 55 mm. I originally set the Fan Shaped HMW knot in a Shave Forge handle and a loft of 53 mm. Because the opening of the handle was about 21.5 mm wide, the splay of the knot was massive and it had no back bone. I lowered the loft to a shade under 49 mm. The knot is extremely soft and has a tiny bit of back bone now. I like it very much. Despite the small size, it can hold enough lather for 3 passes and is quite usable for face lathering. If you are looking for a soft, dense 3 band that releases lather nicely, you won’t be disappointed with this knot. In general, I would say that its performance and softness are a step above the Yaqi 3 band Silvertips. Of course, the larger sizes of this knot are significantly more expensive than a Yaqi 3 band.

The performance of the fan shaped NC China knot is also very sensitive to the setting of the loft. I used a 22 mm Yaqi handle that I modified to a depth of about 14 mm. At a loft above 51 mm, the brush did not have sufficient back bone. At 51 mm, it does have back-bone, but the back bone is less than that of a 24 mm Yaqi Fan Shaped two band. Boti has a second type of two band knot called the Captain two band. The Captain is supposed to have more back bone than the NC two band.

My guess is that the face-feel of the NC
two band is its most distinguishing feature. I think that most people would agree that the Yaqi has more back bone, but the Yaqi brush probably achieves it tip softness through a more aggressive gelling process. While the tips of the NC 2 band are definitely processed, some of the softness comes from the type of hair that BOTI is using. This hair is supposed to be taller and softer than standard two band badger hair. It’s hard to describe the difference, but the Yaqi two bands essentially feel like a cushion where you don’t feel the individual hairs. The NC Boti is soft, but you can still feel the individual hairs on your face. At the same time the density of the NC Boti is probably higher than that of the Yaqi. Of course, the Yaqi two bands are amazing brushes that would probably hold their own against most of the two bands on the market. In trying to tease out the differences, I may be overstating my case.

The Foregoer Back UHD Silvertip is a very unique knot. The hair is very fine and the density is exceptionally high. Even in the dry state the softness of the brush is comparable to the softest synthetic brushes. If anything, maybe the tips are too soft. I set that knot at a loft of 53 mm in another Yaqi handle. Due to the density, the brush has some cushion to it. The backbone is more than that of a standard Yaqi Silvertip and a bit less than the Yaqi High Mountain White Silvertip. It’s a great for anyone that wants the ultimate softness from a natural brush.

I will end by making two points:

1. My comparisons to Yaqi brushes are meant to provide others with reference points with which I am familiar. I happen to have Yaqi 2-bands and Silvertips.

2. The folks at Boti are extremely nice and professional. They will answer all of your questions and they start to assemble the knot as soon as you place the order. They send you photos of the knot and it’s measurements at the beginning and prior to shipping.

Left to Right: 19 mm HMW Silk Fan, 22 mm NC Two Band Fan, 24 mm Foregoer Back Silvertip Bulb, 24 mm Yaqi Two Band Fan.
4E63F537-733F-469A-8156-23F93F30F4F2.jpeg
D7A85B3F-5C09-406F-9686-EBAEA95B5B6B.jpeg

Attachments

• 48763D7F-BEC9-4BC9-83B4-15493DC67E85.jpeg
    48763D7F-BEC9-4BC9-83B4-15493DC67E85.jpeg
    909.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Thank you for your well written review. Boti has quite a few happy customers here. Congratulations on having some excellent brushes, enjoy!

Mainly because I wanted to try a large dense knot, I also purchased a 28 mm Captain 2-band. The height of the knot was 68 mm and I set it at a depth of 17 mm in a 28 mm ShaveForge handle. When set at that depth the knot has a massive amount of backbone and borders on being too dense, but I am getting the hang of face lathering with it.

8E5D9715-90DD-45F3-8AAA-C2721948352B.jpeg
FE20E540-8CB7-440C-822C-EE4E2A3DEEBD.jpeg
The tips are more aggressively treated than the tips of the NC 2-band. Thr scrub is amazing, but the brush consumes a massive amount of soap and does not readily release lather. The backbone is probably as high as anyone would want. Most people would probably be better off following Boti’s loft recommendation of 53 to 55 mm, but I already have several standard loft brushes and this one is unique.

At this point I have been using these brushes for a few months. Because I am not a huge fan of silvertips, I am surprised that the Foregoer Back has become one of my favorite brushes. It is a very unusual brush and the bulb shape and density provide some cushion, if not backbone. I use it for everything except the British tallow-based triple milled soaps. The quality of the lather it creates is top notch.

I use the low-loft, 28 mm 2-band Captain for DR Hariss and MWF; it works as well as or better than my boar brushes. None of the brushes are shedders. Once in a while, they may lose a single hair.

Despite the fact that I love the backbone of the 2-band Captain, I prefer the face-feel of the smaller NC 2-band. If I could go back in time, I would probably purchase the same 24 mm Foregoer Back Silvertip and a 28 mm bulb version of the NC 2-band. Giving up a small amount of backbone for the better face feel would be a worthwhile trade.

I just received a new 26mm silvertip brush from boti, purchased off ali-express. I am trying to break it in, and I have noticed that it will not yet create any foam when I use it with shaving soap. I followed some advice from the internet, and first tried to wash it out with dish soap - but even after about 3 cycles with shaving soap, and 3 with dishsoap - the shaving soap will not foam up at all. It's weird, because the dishsoap foams just fine, but the shaving soap (a tallow based soft soap from es-rasage) doesn't budge. The soap acts like I poured oil in the bowl - like the surfactant is just completely exhausted by picking up oil. Any clues?

I just received a new 26mm silvertip brush from boti, purchased off ali-express. I am trying to break it in, and I have noticed that it will not yet create any foam when I use it with shaving soap. I followed some advice from the internet, and first tried to wash it out with dish soap - but even after about 3 cycles with shaving soap, and 3 with dishsoap - the shaving soap will not foam up at all. It's weird, because the dishsoap foams just fine, but the shaving soap (a tallow based soft soap from es-rasage) doesn't budge. The soap acts like I poured oil in the bowl - like the surfactant is just completely exhausted by picking up oil. Any clues?
Which Silvertip did you order? I have tried the E&S Rasage soap and its consistency can be a little grainy in comparison to other soaps. I noticed this when I scooped some into a bowl. I did not have this problem with the two Boti silvertips that I tried. I actually did not have to wash out the Boti knots much to remove the badger funk. I think that I used clarifying shampoo in warm water for about 15 minutes and the brushes worked very well.

Boti was extremely reponsive to my questions. Message them through AliExpress and let them know your issue. Maybe they can suggest a fix. Can you upload a photograph of what your brush looks like after you have soaked it and shaken it out and what your lather looks like.

Also, keep in mind that the brush holds a massive amount of water. Is it possible that you have too much water? Have you tried grabbing the knot at the midpoint and squeezing to remove the water?

I have a few badger knots, but only black and pure. I'm not sure if they would improve with time, but wow are they lather hogs. They are very dense and have typical characteristics for their types pure having a little more backbone and black maybe a little more scritch, but less backbone. Have some synthetics as well they seem similar to other somewhat well known synthetics, they work great.

Which Silvertip did you order? I have tried the E&S Rasage soap and its consistency can be a little grainy in comparison to other soaps. I noticed this when I scooped some into a bowl. I did not have this problem with the two Boti silvertips that I tried. I actually did not have to wash out the Boti knots much to remove the badger funk. I think that I used clarifying shampoo in warm water for about 15 minutes and the brushes worked very well.

Boti was extremely reponsive to my questions. Message them through AliExpress and let them know your issue. Maybe they can suggest a fix. Can you upload a photograph of what your brush looks like after you have soaked it and shaken it out and what your lather looks like.

Also, keep in mind that the brush holds a massive amount of water. Is it possible that you have too much water? Have you tried grabbing the knot at the midpoint and squeezing to remove the water?
I have one other thought. Prior to soaking your brush, add about 2 table spoons of warm water to the surface of the E&S Rasage soap (i.e. bloom the soap). After you have soaked the brush in warm water for 5 minutes, shake most of the water out of the brush. Pour off the water from the soap, leaving about 1 tsp of water on the surface of the soap. Load your brush for about 60 seconds without splaying it too much. Let the water dissolve the soap. Go through your normal lathering process.

This will confirm whether the problem is with the brush or the soap. Silvertips are not like synthetic brushes, two band badgers or boar brushes. The hairs don't dig into the soap. They work by allowing water to solubilize the surface of the soap.

I apologize if I am giving too much detail. I don't know if this is your first silvertip.

What's a better knot the three band by boti or the Silvertip
I don't have the Captain 3-band, so I can't compare it to the Silvertip. I have the Captain 2-band, which is supposed to have softer tips than the Captain 3-band and more backbone. I believe that the 3-band will have more backbone than a silvertip and the tips may not be quite as soft. Boti has a chart that describes some of the differences. I have posted it below.

Last edited:
1691071715733.jpeg

Based on the chart above the main difference seems to be that the three band hair has more backbone and more heavily treated tips. I assume that "frosted" refers to the treatment of the tips. In my specific case, I preferred the face feel of the NC 2-band to the Captain 2-band and the Foregoer Back Silvertip to the HMW Silvertip. I seem to prefer the knots where the tips are less heavily processed.

Last edited:
I have a few badger knots, but only black and pure. I'm not sure if they would improve with time, but wow are they lather hogs. They are very dense and have typical characteristics for their types pure having a little more backbone and black maybe a little more scritch, but less backbone. Have some synthetics as well they seem similar to other somewhat well known synthetics, they work great.
I can definitely see your point. In my experience boar knots, especially large or dense knots, are major lather eaters until they are well past the break-in stage. I suppose that dense badger knots can also eat lather, but only in comparison to synthetics. Nothing can really match a synthetic's ability to make and deliver a large amount of lather.

Yeah that's why I use synthetic most of the time. With such a wide variety of synthetics you can choose backbone amount and to a degree scrub. The only thing I find completely lacking is scritch. I do have a tgn black badger 24mm that barely eats any lather at all.

Yeah, I have begun to think that the problem is not the knot, it's the soap. I am getting some other soap brands soon and will experiment, but I now have two Boti brushes, and both have the same issue, with E&S Rasage soap, although I have also noticed that the particular "flavor" of soap matters - some are much harder to get to foam than others. The only comparison point I have is some cheap puck soap that came free with a stainless shave bowl I bough off amazon. Despite being super cheap and not very good to actually shave with - it foams nicely with both Boti brushes. So I am leaning toward the E&S Rasage soap I have being off.

Yeah, I have begun to think that the problem is not the knot, it's the soap. I am getting some other soap brands soon and will experiment, but I now have two Boti brushes, and both have the same issue, with E&S Rasage soap, although I have also noticed that the particular "flavor" of soap matters - some are much harder to get to foam than others. The only comparison point I have is some cheap puck soap that came free with a stainless shave bowl I bough off amazon. Despite being super cheap and not very good to actually shave with - it foams nicely with both Boti brushes. So I am leaning toward the E&S Rasage soap I have being off.
There are so many varieties of soap now that it creates a bit of confusion. There are some soaps that work well with badger brushes and not so well with boar. The reverse is true for the traditional triple milled hard pucks. The one constant is that most soaps work very well with synthetic brushes. I don't enjoy the face feel of synthetics as much, but they are very easy to use and not at all fussy.

Well, I got three new soaps today, and tried two of them, the makers are: Ariana & Evans, and Taylor of Old Bond Street. Both are beef tallow based soft soaps, like the E&S Rasage sampler I got, and both lathered extremely easily with the "problem" knot. It's kind of hard to overemphasize the difference I experienced. With a few whisks of the wrist, both gave me extremely thick, rich, and shiny lather that I could not achieve with the E&S Rasage even after forearm cramping levels of badger abuse.

Well, I got three new soaps today, and tried two of them, the makers are: Ariana & Evans, and Taylor of Old Bond Street. Both are beef tallow based soft soaps, like the E&S Rasage sampler I got, and both lathered extremely easily with the "problem" knot. It's kind of hard to overemphasize the difference I experienced. With a few whisks of the wrist, both gave me extremely thick, rich, and shiny lather that I could not achieve with the E&S Rasage even after forearm cramping levels of badger abuse.
I am glad you figured it out. Some soaps don't work well with certain types of brushes. Boar knots tend to eat lather and dense badger knots hold on to a good amount of water. They tend not to work as well with soaps that have low hydration requirements. E&S Rasage is probably designed for synthetic brushes. The other issue is that some Artisan soaps tend to settle out, meaning that the oily components rise to the top and the heavier components sink. Sometimes, scooping a small amount of soap from the deeper layers alleviates the issue.

Top Bottom