What's new

I'm buying a truck, what do you think?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
You're absolutely right about wanting it. But I don't want to bounce my petite wife around the inside of a truck!

I can't give any advice other than go to a dealership and test drive both the Dully and the 250 truck with your wife. Then decide which ride is more comfortable for the both of you and go on from there.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I can't give any advice other than go to a dealership and test drive both the Dully and the 250 truck with your wife. Then decide which ride is more comfortable for the both of you and go on from there.
I plan on doing just that!

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

I would go with the F150. Its still a large enough truck that you dont have to hang truck testicles the hitch.

You said you weren't towing anything anytime soon, but just go ahead and throw the factory tow package on. You dont want someone 3 years down the road from uhaul trying to splice into the tail lights with a "universal" kit because you have to haul something across country. Then the kit burns out and you got weird electrical problems cause they hooked it up shotty.

Before you buy that dually, look at any duallys that you see and not how many have the rear wheel fenders damaged. The dually is a quantum leap wider than a regular pickup. Pulling into gas stations, or even parking slots can be an adventure.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Before you buy that dually, look at any duallys that you see and not how many have the rear wheel fenders damaged. The dually is a quantum leap wider than a regular pickup. Pulling into gas stations, or even parking slots can be an adventure.
Great idea!

No plowing for me! I have a friend who does and every snowfall he gets calls from friends who never call him any other time[emoji38]

Hahaha same here but on a more local scale. I have a plow hooked up to my atv and regularly help out the neighbours. It works though cause they frequently mow my grass when I am out of town working in the summer

If you're not towing, and especially not using a fifth wheel, DRW is likely to have no benefit. For 4x4, make sure it's all-wheel drive. If you intend to go off-road, a brush guard in the front is becoming a popular option. Also consider a winch if off-roading. Be aware that a crew cab with a full length bed can be a pain to turn around and in parking lots. Short length beds in crew cabs maneuver better.

FWIW, at our utility we usually specify two-wheel drives with positive traction differentials. We have some 4x4, but have rarely seen a clear benefit. My personal truck is strictly standard 2W, and I've driven through slush to get to work. I'm not against 4x4 and used to drive one, and it did come in handy in mud, but it was also all-wheel drive. Only once would 4x4 have helped me at work, and that was a truck we somehow bought that had a standard differential.

Not to dissuade you from a truck, and I do find them handy and enjoy driving one, but at times I wonder if I would have come out better getting a small 4x4 SUV with a trailer instead.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm certainly not adverse to pulling something or loading the truck up at some point in the future, particularly if I get the boat I want after I retire, but the real reason I chose the initial options I was considering was purely for the look and the fun of it.
I think I've made some course corrections thanks to the excellent advice here in this thread.

I think the F150 is out simply because there are options I want that aren't available even on the top of the line model.
Looking at options for a SRW F250 right now.
I may reassess that as I investigate options.

FWIW, the F-25Os use more gas than the F-150s. Used to be considerably more. One upon a time we had to get duel gas tanks on our service trucks and pick-ups.

Beside the very rough ride and added fuel/tire costs. The DW will add 15 - 20% to the turning radius and they are a PIA to get in and out of (height). I would suggest the 2500 and add their heaviest towing package (big trans cooler, higher coolant cap., etc.) you will be able to pull a pretty big camper and have a regular sized truck.

Not sure about your local setting, but a friend who had owned a full sized pickup upgraded to a dually. Afterwards he reported getting "checked out" by a lot more of farm girls at intersections. As if he slipped into a different social group.

I absolutely love my F-150 Lariat. Great truck. I could not imagine driving anything bigger at all. For me at least that would be a nightmare. Good luck!

Top Bottom