What's new

I'm buying a truck, what do you think?

Looks like this has already been said but I'll add on from my personal experience.

Don't get a DRW unless you plan to pull something with it. They're just not easy to use as a daily driver. Parking is way too difficult in standard size spaces, maintenance costs are way higher, lots of other reasons. The only reason to get one is if you're towing an 18000 lb trailer.

Don't get a diesel unless you plan to pull something with it. Diesels need to run hot at least some of the time to keep from getting all fouled up and they'll only get hot enough when they're pulling a big load. Run around with the truck unloaded all the time and you'll have issues. Also, I'm not sure about the more recent Ford diesels but about 10 years ago they were not very well regarded and had some serious design/longevity issues. Hopefully that's been fixed.

If you want a truck that can be a daily driver and do some occasional work, go for an F150. Great truck that can do everything pretty well. A 250 with a gas engine won't get you much more. It'll ride rougher and use more gas. You could pull a little more with it or put more weight in the back but since that's not what you're going to do with it, why bother with the downside.

I had a supercab long bed F-150 years ago, and the highway ride was very nice. Also, my dad has had several versions of F-350/250s, and tows a lot. Most recently he towed a dump truck (his second dump truck) home on his gooseneck trailer. No dually required. I imagine it would be more of a pain all around with a dually unless you really need the extra payload capacity.

One thing I haven't heard mentioned, but will throw it out there. This is just a general thought, so if anyone has experience let me know. I'm a bit leery of the Aluminum Fords. Yes, they are lighter, strong, and will provide better mpg. BUT, if you DO end up in a wreck, they are likely to be very $$ and difficult to repair. Aluminum does not work as easily as steel. Just something you may want to consider.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
One thing I haven't heard mentioned, but will throw it out there. This is just a general thought, so if anyone has experience let me know. I'm a bit leery of the Aluminum Fords. Yes, they are lighter, strong, and will provide better mpg. BUT, if you DO end up in a wreck, they are likely to be very $$ and difficult to repair. Aluminum does not work as easily as steel. Just something you may want to consider.

Might be true - but someone needs to figure out how much the improved mileage is worth vis a vis the extra cost of a possible repair given the likelihood of incurring said repairs ... if you are wont to roll what you drive in more ways than one, it might pay off to stick with the old fashioned bodies. On the other hand, you put gas in on a regular basis and better mileage pays from day one. At the end of the day few will buy something with an eye towards wrecking it ..

That's intentional. Crumpling absorbs the impact.

That's intentional. Crumpling absorbs the impact.

I understand the physics behind it. And like garyg mentioned, there is an economic impact with the mileage gain as well. I just wanted to make sure that if he's considering the vehicle, he consider that aspect as well. No one intends to get into a wreck, but you'd hate to have a relatively minor accident turn into a major economic issue.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I did consider the aluminum body issue, and it's one of the reasons I am attracted to the Ford.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
BUT, if you DO end up in a wreck, they are likely to be very $$ and difficult to repair. Aluminum does not work as easily as steel. Just something you may want to consider.

As a practical matter, the cost of repair will likely be the same--your insurance deductible.

Kind of a modern day Rick Simon pickup.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455794335.792324.jpg

http://youtu.be/IDhz_mVcVCQ

Top Bottom