What's new

I'm buying a truck, what do you think?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Ok. I'm buying a truck. A pickup truck.
It's going to be a 4 door crew cab.
I don't plan to tow anything, though it's not out of the question at some point in the future.
I don't need it for work. I don't need to haul anything.
I do live in the crappy weather north, so it's going to be 4x4.
I'm buying it because I want it, and I want a great looking, fun truck to just drive around in now that I can afford it.

My dilemma is do I buy the SRW or DRW?
$vehicle1.jpg$vehicle.jpg

My own research reveals the following anecdotal information;
Tire replacement costs are higher for DRW
Tire wear is faster on DRW
Mileage is better on SRW
Highway stability is better for DRW
Parking is more difficult for DRW

The costs involved are a completely moot point for me.

What I'd like to hear from you guys who own, owned, or drove examples of each - what was the personal pro's and con's for you?
As I said, this isn't a ranchers work truck. I'm buying it because I want it, and I want all the bells and whistles. Just can't make up my mind on SRW or DRW.

Last edited:
For looks, standard model, for stability in the winter, dually. That's my opinion anyway. I've never owned a Ford truck myself, but a tow truck I drove for a few years was a 550, and I loved the way it handled in the winter. It was just a little repo truck with a dually rear end.

I'm sorry I just can't understand the need for a 3/4 ton of 1 ton truck if you aren't planning on towing. But if that's what floats your boat by all means get a f350 dually. But I am just saying that it is completely unnecessary and major overkill. Is the non dually truck you're looking at a 250 or 350? Having ridden in both and had family members who owned both I would suggest a 250. It doesn't come with a dually but is a much more comfortable ride. The 1 ton trucks f350 (single or dually) are made to tow, thus have extremely stiff suspension. If you aren't hauling a lot of weight then this will make for a very uncomfortable ride. I don't see a need for a 3/4 ton (f 250) but if you want it by all means buy one but I highly highly suggest not buying the dually 1 ton + if you are not doing serious work

Never owned any of these Ford models. I have to say you don't have any need for duals. Even in Chi-town.

Enjoy the new truck, Phil.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The Dually doesn't come in the 250. 350 is smallest for DRW. If it weren't for the DRW, I'd be happy with the 250.
Good point about the stiffness, hadn't thought of that.

I certainly don't need any truck to be honest, so even a 150 is technically "too much truck".
This isn't a matter of need, it's a matter of want.
It's a case of conspicuous consumption I'm not afraid to admit to.

Last edited:
I can't help you with the answers to your questions, but 18 months ago I bought a dual cab. Like you, I don't tow and don't need it for work. I do have 2 young kids and the thing has been fantastic for our family.
Good luck with your purchase.

Sometimes want can be pretty strong! I have NEVER wanted a small car in my life after always having older than I am Caprice's, Parisienne's, LeSabre's etc.. But after realizing the benefits I strongly wanted a tiny little car for some reason and ended up with a newer Ford Focus 2 door hatchback. It took almost a year getting used to it, but now I couldn't even imagine parking land yacht's downtown anymore!

If you're not towing anything there is no need for a dually and it would be a complete waste of money. If you have money to waste I'd say...uhh.....if you don't like SWD you can always upgrade. Test drive every truck possible

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
This would purely be my retired guy toy, and if we were going downtown I'd likely drive one of the other cars, or the bike weather permitting.

I appreciate the feedback, and the stiffness issue is really giving me pause.

The Dually doesn't come in the 250. 350 is smallest for DRW. If it weren't for the DRW, I'd be happy with the 250.
Good point about the stiffness, hadn't thought of that.

I certainly don't need any truck to be honest, so even a 150 is technically "too much truck".
This isn't a matter of need, it's a matter of want.
It's a case of conspicuous consumption I'm not afraid to admit to.

In that case, get the duals with some running boards and tons of chicken lights. And don't forget the custom mud flaps, large antennas and a CB.

:lol:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
While I may have some interest in Ford's profitability, and given that the bigger models net more profit, I would go with the F-150. I've spent some time in the F-150s, F-250s, and (just a few trips up north and back) in the F-350. If you don't need the functionality of the greater capacity skip the extra weight, loss of mileage and cost of the big ones and go with the F-150 in 4x4, whatever trim that makes your socks go up & down. Unless you put the weight in them (or maybe behind them) the bigger ones will ride like, well, a truck .. and offer little practical advantage if any.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Some great points here fellas. Thank you for your insight, it's just what I'm looking for.

Trucks are pretty light in the backend and will slide around in that NE snow. Better plan on buying 500 pounds of sand in bags for the bed. Your gonna needed.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Trucks are pretty light in the backend and will slide around in that NE snow. Better plan on buying 500 pounds of sand in bags for the bed. Your gonna needed.
Used to do that with an F150 I used to own, but I used bags of rock salt instead of sand.
Came in handy quite a few times.

The ride in the dually is gonna be virtually bone jarring if there is no load in/on the back. Commercially licensed weight vehicle. High maintenance costs.

I have been a pickup driver of all types, all my life, and my opinion is this: The novelty fun factor is going to wear off after a week, and you are going to regret it.

Buy the 250.

Top Bottom