What's new

I'm buying a truck, what do you think?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Ok. I'm buying a truck. A pickup truck.
It's going to be a 4 door crew cab.
I don't plan to tow anything, though it's not out of the question at some point in the future.
I don't need it for work. I don't need to haul anything.
I do live in the crappy weather north, so it's going to be 4x4.
I'm buying it because I want it, and I want a great looking, fun truck to just drive around in now that I can afford it.

My dilemma is do I buy the SRW or DRW?
View attachment 636158View attachment 636159

My own research reveals the following anecdotal information;
Tire replacement costs are higher for DRW
Tire wear is faster on DRW
Mileage is better on SRW
Highway stability is better for DRW
Parking is more difficult for DRW

The costs involved are a completely moot point for me.

What I'd like to hear from you guys who own, owned, or drove examples of each - what was the personal pro's and con's for you?
As I said, this isn't a ranchers work truck. I'm buying it because I want it, and I want all the bells and whistles. Just can't make up my mind on SRW or DRW.

Unless you are going to pull a big fifth wheel, buying a DRW is like putting a cucumber in your pants. I have an 05 F150 (single wheel, of course) and have never had a stability problem. The only problem I have ever had is endemic to pick ups- it is easy to spin the rear wheels when the road is wet or icy. I just go easier on the throttle, which takes care of the wet. If I know ice is coming, I put a couple bags of sand in the bed. If I lived in an area where ice and snow are frequent, I would get that bladder that is made for the beds of trucks. You basically fill it with water and let it be. Once spring is sprung, you drain it and put it away for the year.

Unless you are going to pull a big fifth wheel, buying a DRW is like putting a cucumber in your pants. I have an 05 F150 (single wheel, of course) and have never had a stability problem. The only problem I have ever had is endemic to pick ups- it is easy to spin the rear wheels when the road is wet or icy. I just go easier on the throttle, which takes care of the wet. If I know ice is coming, I put a couple bags of sand in the bed. If I lived in an area where ice and snow are frequent, I would get that bladder that is made for the beds of trucks. You basically fill it with water and let it be. Once spring is sprung, you drain it and put it away for the year.

Will those bladders withstand prolonged freezing and thawing cycles? Never saw them here.

Roaling coal seems juvenile, IMO

I kind of meant it that way, I really didn't seem to see Phil as someone who would want to hang out with a bunch of gear heads and waste both fuel and rubber. I was also the guy who came up with 106 reasons to stay away from diesel. Sorry I didn't use a bunch of emojis.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Will those bladders withstand prolonged freezing and thawing cycles? Never saw them here.
Yeah, they are made with that in mind. You don't fill it tight- you have to leave a little bit of room for the water to expand when it freezes.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I kind of meant it that way, I really didn't seem to see Phil as someone who would want to hang out with a bunch of gear heads and waste both fuel and rubber. I was also the guy who came up with 106 reasons to stay away from diesel. Sorry I didn't use a bunch of emojis.

Oh, sorry- I didn't mean it to sound like I was aiming that at you. I know a few people that do this, and I just can't understand it. They act like, by doing this, they are sticking it to the man.

Oh, sorry- I didn't mean it to sound like I was aiming that at you. I know a few people that do this, and I just can't understand it. They act like, by doing this, they are sticking it to the man.

Gotcha. We are exactly on the same page.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That is something I seriously need to look into. Good link.

I know a bunch of different people make them, I just found this one on a quick google search. I don't need it here in Texas, but if I lived in Cleveland with my F150 I would have one. You get the weight you need, and no mess from sand or salt (those bags always seem to develop a hole somewhere).

What options were you looking for that were available in the 250 and not the 150?

I just sold my f250 diesel this past year and moved into a Ram 1500.
I am a ford guy, and test drove 3 different f150's. The ecoboost motor is truly impressive.
But in the end the Ram was a steal of a deal. $150 less a month. The hemi has more than enough power, and the coil spring rear axle rides like a car.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Me too. I am a tad concerned how it would impact loading in the bed, but otherwise they are worth my time to investigate.

Yeah, I hear you. But in the wintertime, my Tundra is as squirrelly as a 69 Chevelle, and the box doesn't get much use where that bag would be in the way. Sand bags are a PITA, and this might be a cool fix.

When I was a kid, my old man used to take sections of worn out cutting edges from road graders and bolt them together with threaded rod. That was an easy way to get a lot of hundreds of pounds in a bed in a very small space.

Yeah, I hear you. But in the wintertime, my Tundra is as squirrelly as a 69 Chevelle, and the box doesn't get much use where that bag would be in the way. Sand bags are a PITA, and this might be a cool fix.

When I was a kid, my old man used to take sections of worn out cutting edges from road graders and bolt them together with threaded rod. That was an easy way to get a lot of hundreds of pounds in a bed in a very small space.

The more I investigate the more I am convinced that would be a great solution. I don't haul much anyway except the occasional small project supply cache from the Home Depot.

I want my El Camino back.

The more I investigate the more I am convinced that would be a great solution. I don't haul much anyway except the occasional small project supply cache from the Home Depot.

I want my El Camino back.

I am kind of lazy. I am so used to having a box full of crap from work, that I bought an 8x12 utility trailer so that I could do Home Depot stuff and still be a pig. :)

Top Bottom