What's new

What stones do I really need?

I’d recommend gluing them to a tile or piece of glass to keep them from warping. I had returned my first Naniwa 12k because of a huge warp, and the replacement stone did the same. Gluing it to a flat surface fixed the problem.
Interesting. Is there a better option for stones, or is that more a function of them being on the thin side? And what kind of glue did you use?

I’d recommend gluing them to a tile or piece of glass to keep them from warping. I had returned my first Naniwa 12k because of a huge warp, and the replacement stone did the same. Gluing it to a flat surface fixed the problem.
In true newbie style, I freaked out about the Naniwa's warping, canceled the order, and placed an order for Shapton Kuromaku 8k and 12k stones instead since they are thicker. Like most razor-related things, I doubt this will be my last purchase, but I will stick with the Shaptons for a while and reevaluate later on. I'm sure either choice would have been fine, but the Shaptons have a nice box for storage and use.

In true newbie style, I freaked out about the Naniwa's warping, canceled the order, and placed an order for Shapton Kuromaku 8k and 12k stones instead since they are thicker. Like most razor-related things, I doubt this will be my last purchase, but I will stick with the Shaptons for a while and reevaluate later on. I'm sure either choice would have been fine, but the Shaptons have a nice box for storage and use.
I don’t think you’d go wrong with either set. I was really annoyed at Naniwa the company because of the warping and swore to never buy another one again. Buuut now I’m pretty sure my next stone will be a Naniwa. So yeah you can always reevaluate.

If you have these stone though you won't have to take the modern fashion of "when a blade is dull, throw it away." ....droning, that I've heard for years. It's insane. None of the previous generations would have survived if the constantly made new tools instead of maintaining and repairing the tools they had(unless a special tool was needed to be made). Society is madness, and I feel like i should be either taking or depensing crazy pills over how people care for their tools, I see it on site all the time. Makes me nuts. You can use them on all your kitchen knives, pocket knives and tools if you've got some to sharpen.

If you have these stone though you won't have to take the modern fashion of "when a blade is dull, throw it away." ....droning, that I've heard for years. It's insane. None of the previous generations would have survived if the constantly made new tools instead of maintaining and repairing the tools they had(unless a special tool was needed to be made). Society is madness, and I feel like i should be either taking or depensing crazy pills over how people care for their tools, I see it on site all the time. Makes me nuts. You can use them on all your kitchen knives, pocket knives and tools if you've got some to sharpen.
I have several sharpening stones already, and I sharpen my kitchen and pocket knives. I grew up commercial fishing and bought my first boat when I was twenty. You were dead in the water if you didn't know how to maintain your equipment in that business. Figuratively and literally. Whenever I buy new tools with specific maintenance requirements, I also buy the stuff I need to maintain. To me, it is just part of buying the tool. It is hard to say at this point how much I will be SR shaving, but I do like staying on top of edges rather than letting them go to hell and then making huge moves to try and regain an edge. I also shine, wax, or oil my shoes and boots, another "lost art" for many.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
In true newbie style, I freaked out about the Naniwa's warping, canceled the order, and placed an order for Shapton Kuromaku 8k and 12k stones instead

Outstanding choice! I've got 1.5, 5, 8, and 12k Shapton Pro's and couldn't be happier. If I had started out with stones like these I would have achieved the edges I wanted, literally, years earlier.

I feel like a bum using cast iron and sticks... I burn good wood I harvest though so the meat is always good.
I have two cast iron skillets on my stove top 24/7. Last night I cooked a beef tenderloin filet mignon in beef tallow that was fantastic. Well-seasoned cast iron is fantastic, especially if you are on a budget.

I have a lodge that is the main pan for a lot of cooking here. I sanded it down though some to smooth it out then reseasoned. Love it because it fits frozen pizza perfectly, and partner can abuse it all she wants. Have an all clad plan the same size as well but usually only used when the cast iron needs to be cleaned.

I have a lodge that is the main pan for a lot of cooking here. I sanded it down though some to smooth it out then reseasoned. Love it because it fits frozen pizza perfectly, and partner can abuse it all she wants. Have an all clad plan the same size as well but usually only used when the cast iron needs to be cleaned.
I have some All-Clad pots that are good for soup or boiling. The All-Clad pan I have is not very good. Sure, it works with the right fat or oil and medium heat, but it is way more finicky than cast iron. I am single and live alone, so my cooking is unique to me, and I do not need to balance the needs or desires of another cook in the house. But, my last girlfriend was not much of a cook, and she hated that I would adjust the temperature while she was cooking so she wouldn't warp my pans. She was not a very patient woman and would immediately set the burner to High, which would bring a cast iron pan to glowing in no time. I either saute mushrooms and shallots or cook eggs, salmon, beef, or bacon and sausage in my pans; cast iron works wonderfully for those jobs. I only use Ghee or beef tallow and very sparingly avocado oil for cooking.

Last edited:
What did you use to sand it down? I have a tortilla press that is on my project list.

What did you use to sand it down? I have a tortilla press that is on my project list.
Can't remember but think it was like 220 or 400 maybe. Didn't try to give it any crazy polish, but enough where the bottom felt smooth-ish. Handles eggs without that much of an issue but will usually break out a non stick for that (unless I'm making egg fried rice/omlet/etc). Attached is how it looks now. Holds seasoning well for how I handle it (I usually wash with soap, dry and leave as is. I use heat the pan/add a light layer of oil but too lazy for that now).
20240228_165600.jpg

I sand a lot of cast iron, mostly hand planes to a near mirror finish. 220 up to 1k. once smooth it goes quickly.

I season cast iron pans with Crisco, have tried the bees wax but went back to Crisco. We do not wash with soap, just HOT water and scrub brush.

Heat the pan post washing to smoking and add a thin layer of Crisco with a paper towel. Let cool, wipe dry with clean paper towel and put away. Love the Wall Mart brand half sheets for kitchen and shop.

For Tortilla press, use a Ziplock bag cut in half. Works with cast iron, aluminum and wooden presses.

IMG_6106.jpeg
Cast iron is some wonderful stuff. However after decades of cooking with cast iron, from Griswolds inherited from my mom and grandmother, to recent acquisitions bought directly at the Lodge factory in Tennessee, I have begun making a slow yet deliberate move to carbon steel. European chefs knew what quality carbon steel was all about long before it got popular on this side of the pond. Worth a look for sure.

IMG_6105.jpeg
IMG_6104.jpeg

IMG_6103.jpeg

Top Bottom