What's new

If you had to choose the best Swedish steel razor what would it be?

the MK30 is tiny and fiddly in my hands. 31 is just fine for a 5/8, I prefer my 32 of them all, but I also generally prefer 6-7/8 sized blades.

I haven't had any desire to chase down and use others of the generally smaller Swedes, regardless of how good quality I and others believe them to be.

Engstrom Frameback gets my vote…the two I have are sublime shavers!

E47031E7-C8EE-4DB5-9BA1-151B64843E9C.jpeg
1AD9E178-CFE5-4CC8-9B83-25FC87AE295B.jpeg

I would look for a Frameback in ivory with minimal wear. I would focus on condition before brand.
I think Helje 31s are fine razors, btw. I am sure any Swede in good condition will be a fine companion for your fave blade.
I think this would be my advice. Swedish razors of the late 19th century are more likely to have an ivory handle, IMO, than any other country who made razors. If you do not care for ivory then that is understood. I would still follow the general advice of look for condition as opposed to brand. All the famous names have been mention. Johan Engstrom made good razors as well. The only Swedish razor I have is an Engstrom and as far as I´m concerned the steel contains sprinklings of magical pixie fairy dust. It hones easily, shaves smooth, gives one of the closest shaves, and the edge seems to hold longer than the American and Sheffield blades I have from the same time era. I´m sure the other makers have similar characteristics. It does seem that the Swedes generally favored smaller blades, so maybe it will be a condition, blade size, then brand in the list of priorities.

Top Bottom