What's new

Which of these two high end razors would you pick and why? Help me choose!!

Hello all,
It's been a while since I've bought a new razor and I'm in the market for another one now. Well, I guess not really a while since I did buy a couple of ATT's when they announced that they were gonna close. I didn't pay full price for those so I won't make them count, LOL!!
Anyways, my current favorite razors in my den are:
ATT Windsor SSRH
ATT X1 Slant
Green Cult 1.1
Green Cult 2.0
Stando Chors
Tatara Masamune Nodachi

I've been looking at both for months:
Chiseled Face Legacy raw titanium and the Atelier Durdan Le Maurice Discovery.
Before anyone says buy both, I'm not! I just want to buy one of the two right now. I'm sure eventually I'll have both but I
don't want to spend over $400 in one shot. I think both are pretty comparable with the exception of what they're made of!

So here are the details:
Chiseled Face:
Fully Titanium, 1.12 blade gap, .05mm blade exposure, 3.35" handle, comes in a cool aluminum case and made by an artisan in the USA.
Priced would be about $215 including shipping. Availability is immediate!

full

full

full

Le Maurice Discovery:
Fully 316L Stainless steel, 1.0 blade gap, .05mm blade exposure 3.27" handle, comes in a velvet pouch and made by an artisan in France.
Price would be about $245 with shipping ($30 shipping from France). Wait time is a few weeks since they are made to order!

full

full

full

I've never had a titanium razor (and I've been wanting one. I like light razors too!), so that's one definite plus with the Chiseled face. I also see the price to be very reasonable for a Ti. But of course, I also like the Le Maurice. Both seem to have the shaving characteristics that I favor and both seem to be of high quality.
What would you choose and why?

Last edited:
I really like the Le Maurice. I am doing the passaround right now. Have you considered joining that? You could try and pick your favorite to buy.

I really like the Le Maurice. I am doing the passaround right now. Have you considered joining that? You could try and pick your favorite to buy.

I like it too, LOL!! Beautiful razor!
Yep, I've considered the pass around. I've been following the thread since it started. I do believe though that the Discovery would be a good choice for me. The specs are exactly what I seek and really like the handle. And his price (since he sells it as a complete razor) seems more reasonable. When you spec it out "a la carte", the price is a little on the high side.

Don’t know much about either of those, but it looks like the French razor clamps the blade better if that matters to you. They both look like winners.

If your looking for an awesome Ti razor, look no further than the Ti Blackbird….my favorite razor. Shaves like a dream.

Don’t know much about either of those, but it looks like the French razor clamps the blade better if that matters to you. They both look like winners.

If your looking for an awesome Ti razor, look no further than the Ti Blackbird….my favorite razor. Shaves like a dream.
I've considered the BB but I'm sure I've mentioned before that I could never get past the look of the razor. Doesn't appeal to me for some reason. Last year they had a super sale plus I had a coupon and would have paid peanuts for the stainless version. I stared at it in the checkout cart for days and never bought it, LOL!!
Maybe some day I'll finally give it a chance. Right now I'm stuck on the Chiseled Face and the Le Maurice!

The Le Maurice Discovery. It looks nicer and it's made to order.
True, but they both kind of are. Both of them come as complete. The Le Maurice Discovery comes as is (can't be modified) and so does the Chiseled Face. Difference is that Chiseled face has them ready to go and Atelier Durdan doesn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kix
Personally, I'd go with Le Maurice, just because of they way it appears to clamp down on the blade better than the Chiseled Face. I've tried way too many razors that appear similar to the CF profile and none worked well for me (Charcoal Goods, Feather AS-D2, Blackland Blackbird, etc.). They all resulted in skipping/blade chatter on areas of my neck. I suspect it's because of my coarse whiskers and the way they lay flat against my skin but suffice it to say I've tried enough razors of that style to know they aren't for me.

Now, to do what we all do here occasionally at B&B, I'm going to suggest something you aren't even considering but that I love. The Timeless titanium. It's titanium, which you want. And it clamps down on the blade extremely well like Le Maurice. It's my daily shaver, incredibly smooth, and you can choose mild or moderately aggressive, and SB or OC. Also, polished or matte.

Good luck with whatever you choose 👍

This is an interesting thread but I have not used eiither of the razors in question. I can give a +1 to the Timeless Ti.... zero blade chatter and I have a coarse beard. I have two plates (.95 OC and .95 SB) that cover virtually any shave scenario I can imagine... which in my case relates to the number of days between shaves. They also make plates with a .68 gap. As far as I am concerned it's the best razor around and definitely the last one I'll ever buy.

Personally, I'd go with Le Maurice, just because of they way it appears to clamp down on the blade better than the Chiseled Face. I've tried way too many razors that appear similar to the CF profile and none worked well for me (Charcoal Goods, Feather AS-D2, Blackland Blackbird, etc.). They all resulted in skipping/blade chatter on areas of my neck. I suspect it's because of my coarse whiskers and the way they lay flat against my skin but suffice it to say I've tried enough razors of that style to know they aren't for me.

Now, to do what we all do here occasionally at B&B, I'm going to suggest something you aren't even considering but that I love. The Timeless titanium. It's titanium, which you want. And it clamps down on the blade extremely well like Le Maurice. It's my daily shaver, incredibly smooth, and you can choose mild or moderately aggressive, and SB or OC. Also, polished or matte.

Good luck with whatever you choose 👍
Thanks for the suggestion! I do see about the blade clamping and tend to prefer clamping closer to the edge. I have had issues as well with some razors and have ended up selling them. Oddly enough, the ATT Windsor has similar clamping as the Chiseled Face and it works fantastic. It's one of my favorite razors!

Last edited:
This is an interesting thread but I have not used eiither of the razors in question. I can give a +1 to the Timeless Ti.... zero blade chatter and I have a coarse beard. I have two plates (.95 OC and .95 SB) that cover virtually any shave scenario I can imagine... which in my case relates to the number of days between shaves. They also make plates with a .68 gap. As far as I am concerned it's the best razor around and definitely the last one I'll ever buy.

Don't want to derail the thread but I agree 100%. To me, Timeless hits the sweet spot between offering multiple configurations, yet not offering so many that you don't know where to start. .68 sb and oc, or .95 sb and oc. My daily is the .68 oc even when I only have a day or two of growth. It's more aggressive than the .68 sb, but less aggressive than the .95 sb. Absolute perfection for me.

Thanks for the suggestion! I do see about the blade clamping and tend to prefer clamping closer to the edge. I have had issues as well with some razors and have ended up selling them. Oddly enough, the ATT Windsor has similar clamping as the Chiseled Face and it works fantastic. It's one of my favorite razors!
If titanium is important to you and another razor of a similar style works well go with the CF. I like titanium because it's so much more resistant to staining. I rinse my titanium Timeless after every shave but I only actually clean it about once every 6 months. No worries about staining even with that lax cleaning schedule. 😉

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Only through me, can you receive a power of great RAD enabling.

proxy.php

You want this don't you? Then grab your bravery, and
make your purchase this day. Only then can your journey to the
titanium side be complete.

proxy.php

Some have said that the engraving I had done, was to be
considered unnatural. But I say you got to engrave your
holy grail, it is only logical. Good, I can sense your RAD
temptation growing.

proxy.php

Can you feel the Timeless force now, that is thy Crown handle, it
calls out to you. Oh, I’m afraid thy whiskers will cower in fear,
when your new Timeless TI95 arrives. And when you bring thy
razor to your face, you shall say, "Now witness the power of this
fully loaded, double edged safety razor."

IMG_3848.JPG

Good, your new technique has made you powerful, for your facial
galaxy has been mapped! Your whiskers arrogance, have blinded
themselves to the truth.

proxy.php

Your feeble whiskers are no match for the power of a Timeless
razor. The Timeless force will be strong in the hands of those,
who know how to wield it. So what are you waiting for Larry,
you know it as well as I do, it is your destiny.

PS: I am your father. No, not really, I just thought I'd throw that out there. 🤣

If your other razors are SS, I think going titanium is a great choice. I would suggest the CF.
I have a BB Ti lite (only for a few weeks) and consider it one of my best hardware investments.
As a metal, it is light but not too light. It’s quite reveling when you start to use it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm no help here as I don't have either razor. I like the lighter feel of Titanium razor handles, though, as you know. I use Timeless Ti Crown handles on 6 razors. I even went so far as to make two complete Blutt BR-1 razors (0.86 and 1.20 base plates) set up with Crown handles.

They cut down the handle weight by around an ounce and change the balance toward the head instead of the handle. I don't know what it would feel like to have a complete titanium razor though.

Hello all,
It's been a while since I've bought a new razor and I'm in the market for another one now. Well, I guess not really a while since I did buy a couple of ATT's when they announced that they were gonna close. I didn't pay full price for those so I won't make them count, LOL!!
Anyways, my current favorite razors in my den are:
ATT Windsor SSRH
ATT X1 Slant
Green Cult 1.1
Green Cult 2.0
Stando Chors
Tatara Masamune Nodachi

I've been looking at both for months:
Chiseled Face Legacy raw titanium and the Atelier Durdan Le Maurice Discovery.
Before anyone says buy both, I'm not! I just want to buy one of the two right now. I'm sure eventually I'll have both but I
don't want to spend over $400 in one shot. I think both are pretty comparable with the exception of what they're made of!

So here are the details:
Chiseled Face:
Fully Titanium, 1.12 blade gap, .05mm blade exposure, 3.35" handle, comes in a cool aluminum case and made by an artisan in the USA.
Priced would be about $215 including shipping. Availability is immediate!

full

full

full

Le Maurice Discovery:
Fully 316L Stainless steel, 1.0 blade gap, .05mm blade exposure 3.27" handle, comes in a velvet pouch and made by an artisan in France.
Price would be about $245 with shipping ($30 shipping from France). Wait time is a few weeks since they are made to order!

full

full

full

I've never had a titanium razor (and I've been wanting one. I like light razors too!), so that's one definite plus with the Chiseled face. I also see the price to be very reasonable for a Ti. But of course, I also like the Le Maurice. Both seem to have the shaving characteristics that I favor and both seem to be of high quality.
What would you choose and why?
The Le Maurice is available in titanium too, and it looks like the price is €250, so not a huge increase compared to steel. So if you preferred the Le Maurice over the Chiseled Face you can still have titanium.

I have no experience of the Chiseled Face, so I can’t offer any comparison, but I do have a Le Maurice and it is very nice. Definitely up among the best DE razors for shaving and the machining quality is very high. I got mine with the stand and it has a very pleasing ‘snick’ when you slot the handle into the stand - which shows the precision.

I've considered the BB but I'm sure I've mentioned before that I could never get past the look of the razor. Doesn't appeal to me for some reason. Last year they had a super sale plus I had a coupon and would have paid peanuts for the stainless version. I stared at it in the checkout cart for days and never bought it, LOL!!
Maybe some day I'll finally give it a chance. Right now I'm stuck on the Chiseled Face and the Le Maurice!
I remember you saying you don’t care for the looks of the Bird….but man does it shave well. Best I have and I have most of the razors you list. Hope you’ll give it a shot at some point.

My vote from your list is the French razor….. add a little European flavor to the mix.

Top Bottom