What's new

What would you choose, aluminum or stainless steel?

I'm currently considering buying Wolfman Razors Guerrilla .69 or 84 in aluminum or stainless steel.

I don't know how different the metals are. What I only know is lightness.

In terms of gliding, is there any difference between both?

If it does, I will choose more smooth one.

I don't care about the weight difference between aluminum and stainless steel.

Please help me choose one.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I always prefer stainless steel. Aluminum is light, but scratches rather easily and haptically, it feels plasticky, it isn't my thing. I like the slightly heavier ttitanium, though. Stainless steel is nicer when polished, but the Guerillas aren't polished afaik. I don't like matte finishes.

There is no real difference in gliding/friction. The finish might even influence that factor more.

Steel / Titanium > Bronze / Brass >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Aluminum

Now there are various luxury bronze alloys and so on that are even more expensive than steel or ti, but I am not a fan of patina, so that's why I prefer steel.

Another factor to consider: PRICE.

This said, the purple aluminum Guerilla looks rad.

If you are now more confused what to get than before you asked that question, hehe, sorry...^^

Aluminium surfaces show nicks and dents easily and aluminium is IMO not a good material for razors, but some people may disagree. The material has also a tendency to tarnish, which serves as a protection, but such a surface is not everyone’s cup of tea.

I like titanium, because it combines the light weight of aluminium with the strength of steel.
But the material is expensive and hard to machine, which drives up the price even more.
If the light weight means little to you, there is no reason to spend the extra money on titanium

That leaves strong and durable stainless steel.
The only factor speaking against stainless steel is weight, but this heft makes steel attractive to some shavers.

If the weight is not a deterrent, I believe that stainless steel is a good material for razors.

B.

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I'm with Thom. I always feel like an aluminum razor shaves "rougher" than the same thing in stainless. Not that it actually is rougher, but that's what it feels like. I suspect it's because a stainless razor has more mass, hence more momentum, hence more kinetic energy. I can hit 3-day hair with it and it just moves on through.

O.H.

Stainless. I have never tried and aluminum razor that I have kept/intend to keep. As noted, aluminum oxidation is not a "pretty" patina and the only solution is anodizing which is not bad, but is comparatively expensive. I enjoyed my PAA Starling V2, but cannot get over the weight combined with the Incredible Hulk green/purple/gray color scheme. All matte gray, possibly, but as is, it will be in an upcoming FS post...

If I may piggyback onto this thread with 2 questions:

1. Would you guys say there’s more feedback from aluminum razors, given that they're lighter?
*Feedback meaning: the feeling and the sound of the hairs being cut, micro vibrations, maybe more blade feel, etc

Kinda like how a lighter shotgun will kick harder than a heavier one (less mass & weight= more perceived/felt recoil).

2. I’ve noticed that with razors that have both an aluminum and stainless steel version (Rockwell 6, Overlander, etc), a number of people who own both seem to think the aluminum versions are the better cutters (I’ve also seen someone use the term “sharper”, but I think that means the same thing?).

If so, why would that be the case?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If I may piggyback onto this thread with 2 questions:

1. Would you guys say there’s more feedback from aluminum razors, given that they're lighter?
*Feedback meaning: the feeling and the sound of the hairs being cut, micro vibrations, maybe more blade feel, etc

Kinda like how a lighter shotgun will kick harder than a heavier one (less mass & weight= more perceived/felt recoil).

2. I’ve noticed that with razors that have both an aluminum and stainless steel version (Rockwell 6, Overlander, etc), a number of people who own both seem to think the aluminum versions are the better cutters (I’ve also seen someone use the term “sharper”, but I think that means the same thing?).

I think that POSSIBLY I push the aluminum razor against my skin, as opposed to letting the weight of a SS razor do the work. That MIGHT be why I sometimes have a closer shave with aluminum.

I would have more confidence in the toughness and durability of SS threads over aluminium. YOU might me careful with your razor but a visiting mouth-breathing gorilla (pun intended) might decide to have a look at your razor and non intentionally over tighten it and strip the threads.

Aluminum is more prone to corrosion. Aluminum is not as strong as stainless steel in equivalent sections. So, prefer stainless steel for razors, aluminum for places where light weight is really needed, like tent poles and airplanes. My favorite material for razors is plated brass, not sure why we seem to have gotten away from it, since it seems ideal for this use.

That is my experience. My aluminum Razorock Eco and Hawk V2 razors were the loudest razors that I have used. The heaviest, smoothest, and quietest is my stainless steel Timeless razor. You can hear the Timeless cutting hair but you can't hear the razor itself, if that makes sense.

Hands down, stainless steel. I tried an aluminum razor, thanks to the generosity of a B&B member. I didn’t care for how light it was. My stainless steel razors, also due to a generous B&B member, have a great heft to them. I also like the weight of vintage brass razors, though I have passed all but one along as I can only use so many razors and enjoy paying it forward. That said, it is certainly subjective and there are those who really enjoy aluminum razors.

I'm not sure I agree with this but I've heard some people say that they feel like aluminum razors, because they're lighter, lend themselves more to more movement and therefore a bit more angle adjustment around curves and tight spots and just general changes in position, so you can keep the razor where it needs to be throughout the shave.

Stainless is heavier than my preference. But I do think the weight of stainless lends itself to the razor shaving on its own in a certain pleasant way.

All other things being equal if forced I'd rather probably have an aluminum version of a razor than stainless. For me around 60-70g is perfect, which is heavier than most aluminum and lighter than most stainless I've seen.

If money were no object I'd prefer titanium over both, but that is not the nature of money.

Top Bottom