What's new

If slants are so good why are there so few of them?

I've owned and used a 37C but good technique and 'J-Hooking' with a standard DE razors is what I now use
I tried this for some time, but with the lack of mental awareness I show in the morning, I never seemed the get the hang of it, especially at the more difficult areas. I agree with you that it works though.

The 102 with a Feather blade is delightfully close and efficient, drop in a Wilkinson Sword

Well, I find that most things work well with the Feather blades, and most things do not with Wilkinson sword, but for me the less aggressive blades works a tad better in my 37c than my R89 that is the razor I have used the most.

I tried this for some time, but with the lack of mental awareness I show in the morning, I never seemed the get the hang of it, especially at the more difficult areas. I agree with you that it works though.
I agree too. When I was trying to shave with razors that were mild, tricks like buffing and j-hooking were needed. With aggressive razors, I can focus on blade angle and pressure. I still touch up a bit but that involves running the razor opposite to the direction the whiskers bend over a patch that needs some help. Takes just a second.

I'm not saying one technique is inherently better. Just that this works best for me. I find the shaves way more satisfying.

I have one slant, a vintage Hoffritz Slant in silver. It is heavy -- it feels like a well-made tool -- and impressive to look at. At present I can't say if it shaves better than my other razors. It's certainly on a par with them.

Could I ask roughly how many unique slants you have (that is, duplicates count only once)? I'll bet it's a lot more than a few!
That is a matter of definition, as well as of counting :)
For me, a Merkur 37, a Hoffritz, a Coles and a Pomco are four different razors, and a Merkur 37c and 37g are as well, even though basically, they're all variations on the 37. A Merkur 37 and 39 are two different razors as well, but share the same head. Mulcutodiagonals came in all plastic, in all metal, and in different metal/plastic-combinations, but basically all share the same geometry.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That is a matter of definition, as well as of counting :)
For me, a Merkur 37, a Hoffritz, a Coles and a Pomco are four different razors, and a Merkur 37c and 37g are as well, even though basically, they're all variations on the 37. A Merkur 37 and 39 are two different razors as well, but share the same head. Mulcutodiagonals came in all plastic, in all metal, and in different metal/plastic-combinations, but basically all share the same geometry.

Not saying how you should count 'em. I count a duplicate as a duplicate (I have three ebarbershop Type O clones; duplicates like that would count as 1). Let's say I had an Old Type thin head and an Old Type thick head; I'd count that as 2.

I agree. It's hard to know how to count and what the definitions are. I think as long as the definition and terms are established any way of counting tends to be useful and help establish a convention.

Rough guess? I'm asking out of curiosity and because the thread is about how few slants there are. Let me try to rephrase the question:

As a knowledgeable and experienced slant collector about how many different slants do you think have been manufactured over the years?

I don't think few is the right word for the number of slants out there.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I own a PAA Bakelite Slant which I used for the first time this week. It gave me a really close and smooth shave. Having said that, I can see how you might not want to use a razor like this all the time. It really exfoliated my skin in a good way.

I am too new to give an expert opinion, but I am glad that I have a slant in the stable and may try at least one more variant in this category.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I own a PAA Bakelite Slant which I used for the first time this week. It gave me a really close and smooth shave. Having said that, I can see how you might not want to use a razor like this all the time. It really exfoliated my skin in a good way.

I am too new to give an expert opinion, but I am glad that I have a slant in the stable and may try at least one more variant in this category.

You might enjoy reading about this.

Slantember (September) banner.png

Link.

Lots of good slant stuff. Several gentlemen joined me in shaving with only a slant (not necessarily just one slant but only slants) for a month.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I spent so much time learning to Gillette slide, etc. with my normal DE razors that it is hard for me to shave properly with a slant. With a normal DE I am always paying attention to the head of the razor, and I am almost NEVER moving it in a straight down direction.
With a slant, I have to switch my attention to the handle, and try to move the handle straight down, which is hard because I am used to focusing on the head.
I had to sell my iKon 102, with the canted head. If I shaved with it the same way I do with my normal DEs, it almost completely removed the advantage of the canted head! You know, because it would negate the angle completely and make it shave straight down.

I tried a variety of vintage French and German slants. I still think they are a complex solution to a nonexistent problem. YMMV and all that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I tried a variety of vintage French and German slants. I still think they are a complex solution to a nonexistent problem. YMMV and all that.

From a certain point of view all razors other than straights are a complex solution to a nonexistent problem.

From another point of view all razors are a complex solution to a nonexistent problem.

Still, I get your point.

Happy shaves,

Jim

As a knowledgeable and experienced slant collector about how many different slants do you think have been manufactured over the years?
Thank you for the compliment.
Counting as one those razors that I have in multiple where only packaging differs I come over 300 different ones in my possession. Next to that I am aware of some 86 or so that exist that I'm still looking for.
Razors that are basically the same yet differ in branding in this count are counted as many times as there are brands.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thank you for the compliment.
Counting as one those razors that I have in multiple where only packaging differs I come over 300 different ones in my possession. Next to that I am aware of some 86 or so that exist that I'm still looking for.
Razors that are basically the same yet differ in branding in this count are counted as many times as there are brands.

Amazing! Simply amazing!

I think it's because it's hard to explain the concept of slant to people. If you're new or you just want something to use daily, a slant is a hard sell. Most people do stick to traditional parallel bar razors.

IMHO, everybody who starts with this wonderful hobby of classical shavingoughta have a slant as third or fourth razor.
Start with a mild razor, next move on to something more agressive/effective, then try a Merkur 37.

Or you could take my approach and get a 39 as your first and bleed all over the place! First shave today and it was going so well until the last couple strokes on my chin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
slants-fourslants-4slants-myslants-9-18-640-jpg.916503

When I first heard of slants I thought they sounded both very weird and very scary. Later, when I gave them a spin, I discovered my error in thinking. By the end of last September I was firmly in the camp of slant fans. My last Slantember post, linked, brings back fond memories. It also makes me wonder again which of the four slants I used during the month was my favorite and which slant I'd most like to try of ones I've not ever used.

Of the slants I used, I'd recommend one over the other three as an entry level slant because of two reasons.
  • It's a very good razor.
  • It's an inexpensive razor.
Obviously, I'm talking about the bakelite PAA OC slant. My understanding is the only currently available color is black, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom