What's new

If slants are so good why are there so few of them?

I can tell you that Ive used various slants and I actually find that my Weishi gives me better shaves because I can go ATG with it. Ive never used a slant that I could shave ATG without getting lots of weepers.
Not all slants are for daily use, but the number of slants that give me weepers is very small. Try one of the extreme diagonals such as the NeoGam. Two passes, both wtg, one with the blade / and one with the blade \, very pleasant.

Ok gents, I have to say that slant razors are not for everyone especially when someone hasn't any experience with a safety razor.
The twisted head is very weird for someone who isn't familiar with wet shaving. Of course this is not the reason why slants are a few in the market.

I believe that in the future there will be an increase in the number of slants. I hope so. Fatip is about to produce a slant and I think every company should try to make one. The way it cuts is fantastic. Not for everyday use of course especially on a 3pass shave. But you can get easily DFS with 2pass.

Good question you put my friend!

The biggest misconception is that most people think you need to shave differently with a slant from how you would shave with a regular DE razor and its not!! You shave the same, use the same stroke as you would a DE. It is the "diagonal or guillotine" cutting action that the slant delivers that sets it apart from a regular DE. Gillette's answer to the slant was not to mfg one but to create the Gillette slide that mimics the guillotine cutting action that a slant delivers. The guillotine cut is supposed to cut the hair more efficiently as opposed to straight forward that has a tendency to pull the hair before cutting it.

The other misconception is how the blade lines up in a slant head. Most think the blade is to line up straight with the top cap like a regular DE. Incorrect as this would only make it shave like any regular DE and would have no guillotine effect at all. It is to line up at an angle to the top cap, hence the slant or guillotine effect... The best way to load a blade in a slant, I found, was to lay the top cap on a towel on the counter, place the blade on it, set the bottom plate in place and thread the handle on until its snug slightly pressing into the towel, then pick it up and by holding the ends of the top cap you then snug it down. The top and bottom cap will seat the blade as it was meant to be set as it was mfg'd...

I owned both a 37C and a Wunderbar with the Wunderbar being more efficient of the two. I have since sold them both off as I thought I could use them as daily shavers and wasn't the case. I should've kept them because on multiple days growth they shaved extremely close and efficient. So close it would take a good 36 hrs to start really feeling any stubble, but unfortunately I have been a daily shaver for many years and thought if I can't shave daily with it, it has to go!! My Titanium Timeless .95 gets the job done for me daily and have found all other razors I have owned have become expendable, with the exception of my SS General SE and a birth yr/qtr Fatboy that I had re-plated I am covered on all bases now and need no other razors in my cabinet!!

Not all slants are for daily use, but the number of slants that give me weepers is very small. Try one of the extreme diagonals such as the NeoGam. Two passes, both wtg, one with the blade / and one with the blade \, very pleasant.
With my slants, I do 2 XTG passes. The hair on my neck grows sideways, so I do a north to south pass and a south to north pass and call it a day.
Ive tried do ATG with various angles and super light pressure and its the same result every time: weeper city.

Over 12 hours after my Merkur slant shave (2 pass: WTG/ATG plus touchup) using a Kai blade and the results are still excellent. I do have very slight stubble trying to emerge above the skin line but it is still a very acceptable result and I would say a very slight increase in shave longevity over the Rockwell 6s/R4 combo using the same blade. The difference is smoothness and forgiveness during the shave and that is where the Rockwell shines.

But if I had to use the 37C as a daily driver I would adapt and no doubt get overall great results.

I have the RR german 37, I really enjoy the shaves i get from it, very smooth, very close, but for my sensitive skin its like using a fattip, its a once or twice a week razor, to often and my face will start hurting. Its probably one of my favorite razors, but i usually use my parker 24 oc for daily use. I think its not talked about as much due to the majority of people seeking a more aggressive shave tend to gravitate towards the r41.

I have had several slants and I think my first one was the best, the Merkur 37c. You use a slant like any other razor. For me the Merkur was very smooth and did shave very close. I think every shaver should try the Merkur slant, the 37 or the 39.

I've used the 37c, the Fine, and the Ikon X3. All are good in their own rights, meaning according to their designs. I think the reason why there seems so few of them is because you don't hear much about them. Word-of-mouth is the best advertising and unless you frequent a forum like this, you just don't hear about them. Plus, they can be rather irritating to the skin and require more lube. The blade to safety bar gap on the 37c is large and I was always concerned about skin getting bunched causing a large cut. I like to shave quickly as that's my habit and slants don't allow this. "There will be blood."

For me, the 37c is maybe the most gentle razor because i can shave without any tugging. I was surprised that it made such a difference, but it might be that the Merkur head just suites me. I have used the Muhle 98r, Parker Variant and the R41 as my hardware up to now. They are all good, but the 37c is just the better one. I have quite dense and fast growth, but the problems started when the beard under my cheeks turned grey. The grey stubble just seems harder to shave for some reason. The 37c coupled with one of the many great soaps that are available these days just works wonders for me. I shave 5 days a week. As always YMMW.

Years ago, when I was new to DE shaving, I really enjoyed the 37C. At this point, I've identified my affinity for very aggressive razors but the slants just aren't my thing. In fairness, I've not had the chance to try the Wunderbar. I've tried several others. Perhaps the mighty Razorock would change my mind. Just PIFed my German 37. My four year old has my PAA BOCS and my PAA BAES. No others are in my den and I've no plans to acquire any.

One of the things I don't like about slants is they make it hard to get a straight line at the sideburns. With plenty of other razors that give a great shave, I don't feel motivated to reach for one.

For me, the 37c is maybe the most gentle razor because i can shave without any tugging. I was surprised that it made such a difference, but it might be that the Merkur head just suites me. I have used the Muhle 98r, Parker Variant and the R41 as my hardware up to now. They are all good, but the 37c is just the better one. I have quite dense and fast growth, but the problems started when the beard under my cheeks turned grey. The grey stubble just seems harder to shave for some reason. The 37c coupled with one of the many great soaps that are available these days just works wonders for me. I shave 5 days a week. As always YMMW.

I second this. I have the 37c and can easily mow down a week's growth, like a hot knife cuts through a piece of butter.

Don't overdo it with it, or you will pay with blood.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
@gvw755 they won't fit on one picture. I now have 290 slants, and the number is growing. As far as I'm concerned, "few" is a subjective term, but there's definitely more of them then most may know.

proxy.php

Could I ask roughly how many unique slants you have (that is, duplicates count only once)? I'll bet it's a lot more than a few!

Happy shaves,

Jim

IME, slants are more responsive to blade differences than standard DEs.

I have the Ikon X3 and 102, Coles and Pomco( the Coles rebarreled with carbon fiber tube), the Fine Lightweight, and a small handful of bakelites from different makers.

The 102 with a Feather blade is delightfully close and efficient, drop in a Wilkinson Sword and it's so-so at best. All of them give me better ATG with my left-to-right beard growth under my chin than just abut anything else, except one of my straights.

Like so many things, ymmv...

I've not had the chance to try the Wunderbar.
With your love of aggressive razors, this would fit in you're wheelhouse... I had one but didn't own it for too long as it just wasn't for me and took a lot more patience than I was willing to give!!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
My first true BBS was made on a Razorock 37 German slant and they are very efficient and the Wunderbar can be aggressive if technique is off that day but it can deliver great shaves consistently and light technique is warranted.
A 2 pass shave with a clean up is all I need with a slant razor and results are excellent.

Top Bottom