What's new

How to Sanitize a Vintage Shaving Brush

I recently bought an old Ever-Ready brush in pretty good condition. I was planning to re-knot it, but the existing knot looks to be in pretty good shape.

First off, is it even a safe idea to use an old knot? It bothers me to think about using it, but if it can be safely sanitized, I'm willing to try it.

If it's a safe idea, what is the best way to sanitize it? Would it be harmful to soak it in Barbacide? What about doing the following process? (Admittedly, pretty compulsive)

1. Wash in liquid dishwashing detergent
2. Soak it in liquid dishwashing detergent overnight
3. Soak in borax for a few hours
4. Soak in Barbacide for 10 minutes
5. Soak in rubbing alcohol for 10+ minutes
6. Wash and soak in shampoo to remove any leftover scent from the previous steps.

Reading this list sounds pretty funny and may sound like I'm ready for the funny farm. Please excuse this borderline germaphobe.

Thanks.

The good news is a dry brush sitting on a shelf at an antique shop for even as little as a few weeks after being used, will harbor no deadly viruses. Any residual bacteria "which inhabits everything we touch anyway" will be washed away with a few gentle soaks and rinses in warm soapy water. I would let it sit and dry out for a day or two, then go to town!

Edit: soaking a brush overnight can be harmful to the knot, especially an older/used brush. Just clean it well, dry it and enjoy a relaxing shave with your new vintage brush.

Last edited:
Dont go overboard on trying to sanitize the brush, you might ruin it. Hot soapy water + a few test lathers in your hand, then let the lather sit on the brush for a while. No overnight soaking.

I have a vintage Ever Ready brush that has a pristine knot but smelled like a badger's rear end.. doing what I described above got it sorted out in about a week.

Top Bottom