What's new

Stinky & muddy badger brush. Out of ideas. Help!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Time is one of those things that is free that is one thing I have found with this hobby we all have tons of, I have 138 brushes now in my collection and another 1 on order. If I add up at the cost alone in restoring brushes straight razors and Double-edged, I would be very rich but that is one thing I ain't.

I Love this hobby that's why I spend my time on it, while its dark at night watching tv it gives me a hobby and a focus and I wish more would follow suit. But sadly that ain't going to happen, what I'm trying to say to everyone is you can get a £20 brush that will do the same job as a £200 brush. And that is building a lather and apply it to our faces that's the same with everything in life.

The main point is the original poster has found valuable information in this post, for future reference along his journey into wet shaving and to everyone else that's posted. We never stop learning & that's what makes Badger & Blade special.
Well said my friend!

Wow, must've been a dirty badger! Glad you defeated the beast. Like others I've never had anything like that, with any animal funk fading significantly after an initial cleaning and disappearing entirely after a few shaves.

The Whipped Dog Silvertip might've been the stinkiest and I used oxyclean for that one. Usually dawn is enough.

I read through everything and all the chemicals that OP used. This thing has so much chemicals in it, I wouldn't want it to touch my face. Who knows what kind of skin reaction there might be.

Luckily I don't have any stink or brown, greasy stain issues with my cheap omega boars. Badgers? No thanks.

I read through everything and all the chemicals that OP used. This thing has so much chemicals in it, I wouldn't want it to touch my face. Who knows what kind of skin reaction there might be.
There hasn't been any skin reaction. I've used it three of the last four days. It's a fantastic brush.

As for the cleaning products that I used... Many of you seem to think that they are overly harsh, toxic, whatever. To put it bluntly, you are wrong. I used the same ingredients that are used in commercial shaving brush cleaners, such as those made by Classic Shaving, Zingari, and PAA.

Meanwhile, people on B&B have been using OxiClean, isopropyl alcohol, shampoo, borax, baking soda, washing soda, vinegar, dish soap, laundry detergent, Scrubbing Bubbles(!), and countless other substances to clean their brushes for years. Why is everybody suddenly so alarmed that I used these to clean my brush? I suspect that everybody here has done the same at one time or another.

I'm really puzzled by the reactions that some people are having. It's like all the logic got sucked out of their brains and was replaced by a mix of derangement and hypocrisy.

I think that I'm going to have to stop following my own thread. Some of these posts make my brain hurt. :001_tongu

p.s. However, I do want to thank those of you who have posted useful advice. I greatly appreciate your insights and suggestions, many of which helped me to rehabilitate my recalcitrant brush. :thumbup1:

Last edited:

Luckily I don't have any stink or brown, greasy stain issues with my cheap omega boars. Badgers? No thanks.
I was just about to say, the chemicals @Demolition has posted about are standard household cleaners used for dishes, laundry, bathing, etc. You probably are in contact with these things fairly often with no worries. Plus, they all rinse away with water.

Although my brush is now odourless, I decided to put it on the railing of my back deck to enjoy some sunshine.

I'm not sure if there was any change, but it couldn't hurt, right? As mentioned, UV kills germs.

Well, since the time of that brush, I now keep 4 boars & a synthetic in my brush rotation, making sure that my brushes get a good amount of time to dry out before reuse.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Interesting subject on animal funk, I have had a few brushes that had a funk smell and tried some vicious things to a boar brush that should never been done as a Greenhorn trying to defunk it and bottom line is boar hair very good fiber for toughness and abuse.
The reason I commenting is one of the fellows on B&B used dog shampoo that is designed to clean rank fur and claims it worked so maybe future animal brush owners might consider that to clean funk. I just use hair shampoo to clean any brush, synthetic, badger or boar at least 4 times than let to dry.
Dog shampoo makes the most sense because a lot per owners have it already and knows it works or not.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Interesting subject on animal funk, I have had a few brushes that had a funk smell and tried some vicious things to a boar brush that should never been done as a Greenhorn trying to defunk it and bottom line is boar hair very good fiber for toughness and abuse.
The reason I commenting is one of the fellows on B&B used dog shampoo that is designed to clean rank fur and claims it worked so maybe future animal brush owners might consider that to clean funk. I just use hair shampoo to clean any brush, synthetic, badger or boar at least 4 times than let to dry.
Dog shampoo makes the most sense because a lot per owners have it already and knows it works or not.
My Dad just used "a little gasoline" on everything I think. I distinctly remember him using lighter fluid on the carpet by his chair a time or two..... probably trying to get up some shoe polish.

That man polished his shoes more than ANY Private in the Army....

Top Bottom