What's new

Stinky & muddy badger brush. Out of ideas. Help!

So if you combine cleaning ingredients and your time you've now paid $157. for this brush.:sob:
You could look at it like that. But, it was my time to waste. I'm not sure why it should bother other people what I do with my time. :rolleyes5

Anyway, what I learned about different brush-cleaning techniques is worth a lot more than how much time or money I spent. This kind of knowledge is invaluable to me. And, perhaps, it'll help someone else in the same situation.

At the very least, if I run into another stubborn brush, then I'll know what to do right from the start.

After all that there is a slight wet dog smell.
I should have been more specific when I mentioned the wet dog smell. I should have written:
There's still a slight "wet dog" smell, but not any stronger than my other badger brushes when new.

When my other badger brushes were new, they had a slight funk that quickly went away after some minor break-in and with normal use. However, as you've read for yourself, this particular badger needed extra coaxing to get to that point.

After all the dunking and scrubbing that it was subjected to, it's already well broken-in. And, after today's shave, I'm not detecting an animal odour, any more. It was already a very good performer. Now, it has become a very good brush.

The next step is a soak in gasoline and a match
That thought had crossed my mind a few times during this ordeal. But, as mentioned, I'm a bit obsessive about things. Once I get started on something, I can't stop until I've fixed it or it's wrecked. Luckily, this time, it worked out. :001_smile

This is going to sound a bit weird, but if you have spell of sunny, dry weather, and it's not too cold, you could expose the brush to sunlight and fresh air for a few hours. That may help get rid of the last of that bad smell.
That's an interesting idea. The weather on Christmas Day will be sunny and around 7° C (~45° F).

Even though the brush is pretty much odourless now, it probably wouldn't hurt to let it "breathe" a bit. Especially after the harsh chemicals that I exposed it to.

That's an interesting idea. The weather on Christmas Day will be sunny and around 7° C (~45° F).
If you can place the brush inside some glass container with a small opening for breathing, it will multiply the sunny warm effect many times. All said, the UV rays are good germicidal and helps make things odder free.

If you can place the brush inside some glass container with a small opening for breathing, it will multiply the sunny warm effect many times. All said, the UV rays are good germicidal and helps make things odder free.
Unfortunately, glass will filter most UV rays out.

Well this is an interesting post. So we ordered those cheap brushes from Ali, have to wait 2-3m for them to come and then you get a stink bomb....
Utterly frustrating....I knew inside that this would be the result..... a total waste of money....when it seems to good to truth....it IS>
The worst stink bomb I ever had was horse/manure brush.. It did clean w Dawn, then several lathering sessions w shampoo, conditioner. Probably spent some days under water w shampoo and also days w conditioner by itself.....

Maybe this is a good instance to use ARKO... Lather and let it stand.... see who wins the battle of odor....leave it outside....maybe a bird of prey will take it.....but it may die.....

TBH I have never had that problem with Yagi shaving brushes, and yes I have the Yaqi 26mm Moka Express Two Band Badger it had very little funk. I did use dish soap to wash mine with great results and it has been a fantastic brush without a doubt.

I have seen over the last few days people being negative about yagi brushes, and saying how cheap they are but look at it this way if you don't want a bit of funk, then by all mean's pay top-notch prices and still get some funk if they were that bad they would not sell so many. Look at the shave of the day and see how many people use them, every brush maker has the same problem at some stage even if its $250 bucks or a $20 bucks brush.

But one thing I will say once you get it sorted it will make a fantastic brush..... And this is my brush.

22.jpg

I think the stinkiest brush I had was a VDH Pure Badger. It sometimes happens with the best (not that the VDH is one of them), but none as severe as the OPs experience. What has worked best for me on the ones that didn't clean up with two or three test lathers was a combination of Dawn and Oxy Clean. In those more stubborn cases I always soaked the entire knot and it usually took several doses. The VDH probably wasn't worth the effort. It always had too much scratch.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I hope all works out. This is one of my favorite brushes and I hate to see someone struggling with it as you have. Mine stunk maybe a bit more than other badgers I have purchased but I didn't have nearly the troubles you have. If you ever get it shave worthy it is an absolute beast. It's a lather building hog that holds, spreads and splays wonderfully but isn't floppy at all - a very nice backbone. A truly exceptional badger at its price. Best of luck with it!

I once had an Omega boar that stunk just as badly. Multiple treatments with dishwash detergent, vinegar, citric acid, soaking the whole knot etc over a period of two months - still didn't work. Then someone suggested drying the brush (It was very humid at the time).

I left it in a dry place for a few days & voila! no more stink.

Well this is an interesting post. So we ordered those cheap brushes from Ali, have to wait 2-3m for them to come and then you get a stink bomb....
Utterly frustrating....I knew inside that this would be the result..... a total waste of money....when it seems to good to truth....it IS>
Just because my brush had an issue doesn't mean that all Yaqi brushes have issues. If my thread is the only one that you've read about Yaqi brushes (I seriously doubt it), then I could see how you could form that opinion. But, there are dozens of people who have had nothing but great experiences with them. If you can't open your mind, then at least open your eyes.

Frankly, all of these people who have a bias against Yaqi brushes and are just looking for excuses to insult the brand (and, by extension, those of us who like it) strike me as incredibly petty.

I hope all works out. This is one of my favorite brushes and I hate to see someone struggling with it as you have. Mine stunk maybe a bit more than other badgers I have purchased but I didn't have nearly the troubles you have. If you ever get it shave worthy it is an absolute beast. It's a lather building hog that holds, spreads and splays wonderfully but isn't floppy at all - a very nice backbone. A truly exceptional badger at its price. Best of luck with it!
TBH I have never had that problem with Yagi shaving brushes, and yes I have the Yaqi 26mm Moka Express Two Band Badger it had very little funk. I did use dish soap to wash mine with great results and it has been a fantastic brush without a doubt.

I have seen over the last few days people being negative about yagi brushes, and saying how cheap they are but look at it this way if you don't want a bit of funk, then by all mean's pay top-notch prices and still get some funk if they were that bad they would not sell so many. Look at the shave of the day and see how many people use them, every brush maker has the same problem at some stage even if its $250 bucks or a $20 bucks brush.

But one thing I will say once you get it sorted it will make a fantastic brush
Hi Brandon and Ian. I got it sorted out. After I determined what the issue was, it only took a day to turn it from a disaster into the brush that you've both described.

As you said, it is truly an exceptional brush. I just wish all of the naysayers could get over their biases and give it (and other Yaqi brushes) a chance. But, instead, we ended up with a bunch of people practically dancing with glee because I had to take extra steps to get to that stage.

I'm not going to point fingers, but I think it takes a really wretched man to revel in someone else's misfortune.

Unfortunately, glass will filter most UV rays out.
I once had an Omega boar that stunk just as badly. Multiple treatments with dishwash detergent, vinegar, citric acid, soaking the whole knot etc over a period of two months - still didn't work. Then someone suggested drying the brush (It was very humid at the time).

I left it in a dry place for a few days & voila! no more stink.
Although my brush is now odourless, I decided to put it on the railing of my back deck to enjoy some sunshine.

I'm not sure if there was any change, but it couldn't hurt, right? As mentioned, UV kills germs.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Well, you have far more patience than I have. I hope that your persistence pays off. It is a good looking brush and hopefully you will get to use it soon.

Why go through all of that when you can contact Yaqi for a new one?
Because I wanted to know if I could fix whatever was wrong with it. As mentioned in my earlier posts, I used this as an opportunity to educate myself (and, hopefully, other people).

Well, I eventually did figure it out. Now, I know that practically any brush can be rehabilitated. And, I learned what to do if I run into another brush like this in the future.

Well, you have far more patience than I have. I hope that your persistence pays off. It is a good looking brush and hopefully you will get to use it soon.
Thanks, Andrew. I've used it for the past two days. It's a great performer and I'm very happy with it.

Because I wanted to know if I could fix whatever was wrong with it. As mentioned in my earlier posts, I used this as an opportunity to educate myself (and, hopefully, other people).

Well, I eventually did figure it out. Now, I know that practically any brush can be rehabilitated. And, I learned what to do if I run into another brush like this in the future.

Thanks, Andrew. I've used it for the past two days. It's a great performer and I'm very happy with it.
Thank you for following through with this and figuring out how to fix the issue. I've learned a lot about brush cleaning if I ever do encounter a problem like this. I've purchased 3 brushes from yaqi on 11/11 and the first to arrive had barely any funky smell. Let's hope the remaining two don't!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
You could look at it like that. But, it was my time to waste. I'm not sure why it should bother other people what I do with my time. :rolleyes5

Anyway, what I learned about different brush-cleaning techniques is worth a lot more than how much time or money I spent. This kind of knowledge is invaluable to me. And, perhaps, it'll help someone else in the same situation.

At the very least, if I run into another stubborn brush, then I'll know what to do right from the start.

You are absolutely correct - your time is your time. I assumed you would see the violin player emoji as an indication that there was some humor intended. I'm sorry if you took it any other way.

Forums are about voicing opinions. I prefer all my brushes to arrive without stink, but that doesn't mean I'm disparaging stinky brushes or the people who like them. We all like different blades and different soaps and different brushes. It's all good. Use what you like and enjoy! Happy holidays.

Time is one of those things that is free that is one thing I have found with this hobby we all have tons of, I have 138 brushes now in my collection and another 1 on order. If I add up at the cost alone in restoring brushes straight razors and Double-edged, I would be very rich but that is one thing I ain't.

I Love this hobby that's why I spend my time on it, while its dark at night watching tv it gives me a hobby and a focus and I wish more would follow suit. But sadly that ain't going to happen, what I'm trying to say to everyone is you can get a £20 brush that will do the same job as a £200 brush. And that is building a lather and apply it to our faces that's the same with everything in life.

The main point is the original poster has found valuable information in this post, for future reference along his journey into wet shaving and to everyone else that's posted. We never stop learning & that's what makes Badger & Blade special all the sharing of information from everybody keep it up guys..

Last edited:
Top Bottom