What's new

How much for soap?

What's the most $ you are willing to pay for soap?

• As cheap as possible

• Under $10

• Under $20

• Under $30

• Sky is the limit

Results are only viewable after voting.
So many variables...$20 for 4oz? $20 for 5.5 oz? 4 oz of a triple milled soap should last far longer than 4oz of a croap...I personally am shooting for no more than $5/oz, but I'd be flexible in some cases if need be.

+1
Unit price is a better way of looking at it. A Kg. of P160 would be the equivalent of about nine 4oz. tubs.

OK, let's define our threshold:
  1. Artisan
  2. $100+ street price
  3. Basic disposable container
  4. No refills
  5. Not Limited Edition

I think you need to add a size/weight/type (croap, triple-milled, etc.) threshold to the criteria because it impacts the value, real and perceived, of the soap. For instance, while MdC is expensive up-front, but it's ~7oz of dense soap compared to most artisans who produce ~3.4 - 5oz of softer soap. There's often also a certain luxury cache for soaps that are triple-milled or from certain countries like Italy or France.

After years of wet shaving, I know now that even an expensive soap is less per shave than the toilet paper I use a day. So you know, I'm ok with an expensive soap so long as it provides the shave I'm looking for. I've moved from under $15.00 soaps to sky is the limit. My face deserves it just as much as my rump does. :001_smile
:em2300: I agree

I don't care much about the price of the soap, but rather about the price per shave and the soap properties. In my experience there are soaps that perform extremely well for a low price (Tabac, Haslinger, MWF etcetera), but generally you get what you pay for (MdC, SV, Klar etcetera). A high price tag often means a good inexpensive shave.

Heh, don't give the anyone any ideas, or we'll soon see artisans producing fougere, vetiver and Creed-inspired "limited edition" toilet tissue to go with their shave soap, aftershave and EdT. There's no reason why all of you shouldn't smell fantastic!

I think you need to add a size/weight/type (croap, triple-milled, etc.) threshold to the criteria because it impacts the value, real and perceived, of the soap. For instance, while MdC is expensive up-front, but it's ~7oz of dense soap compared to most artisans who produce ~3.4 - 5oz of softer soap. There's often also a certain luxury cache for soaps that are triple-milled or from certain countries like Italy or France.

1. Artisan
  2. $100+ street price
  3. Basic disposable container
  4. No refills
  5. Not Limited Edition
  6. Less than 8oz (225g) of any consistency

I voted "Sky is the limit". With that said, I'd want to try a sample before committing to a full puck or tub and I'm going to have to like it a whole lot since I'm trying to stay at no more than 3-4 different soaps on hand at any given time. My AOS Tallow and Nuavia Blu are not going anywhere, so that only leaves a couple open slots to fill, and one of those is currently being filled by DR Harris Windsor.

The only expensive soaps that are currently on my radar are SV and Boellis Panama 1924, so samples will be coming at some point.

Very few soaps are worth more than $20 IMO. MdC, would be an exception, for example, and on a per shave basis it is very reasonably priced because it lasts so long.
I agree that MdC is expensive but after you realize the absolute small amount needed per shave and the quality of the product it is worth $.

honestly only soap i buy now is Haslinger and Stirling (re-fill pucks only),
but Speick Cream is slowly becoming my go to soap.

Most of my soaps are under $10. I have very rarely paid up to $15-$20. I want to get good shaves, I don’t want to subsidize somebody’s soapmaking hobby.

Most of my soaps are under the $20 mark like RR, CC and SC but I have and will spend more on my favorite SV. I have done the MdC and XPec and both to me were all hype. I have been considering picking up PC Nuavia Blu but the price tag is kind of stopping me after the other two high dollar soaps. That and the fact that I have 30+ soaps and don't need anymore.

I am very happy with the basics. Arko, Williams, VDH, Proraso, Cella, Palmolive. I don’t see where it can get much better than Arko, Proraso, Cella. They work great for me.

Like everything in life; you do not know what you are missing......till you try it..... and then: you discover there is another parallel world......

Here's my breakdown for MdC.

MdC is a $35 soap for 200g. TOBS refill puck is half that weight and half that price (100g / $16, no container) and has half the longevity of MdC. So it's the same price point at best, but may be actually twice more expensive $ per shave.

Acqua di Parma cream is MUCH more expensive ($60 + shipping for 125ml cream). Even Proraso 275ml cream ($17) from their Single Edge line is more expensive than MdC $/shave. Only thing that beats it for value is Cella 1kg block and other barber supply sized soaps and creams from Italy. Oh yeah, and Arko.

Where re-sellers bleed us is the expensive shipping MdC adds (over $20) to buy it from France directly. Re-sellers copy the total of $60 price, not the $35 (and they probably buy it 30% cheaper, for very small shipping cost at bulk) and then offer you a 'great deal' at $50 + their own shipping that adds up few $ cheaper than buying it from France. The lowest price I got offered for 200g of MdC was 42 euros ($47) + shipping. Funny because it clearly says $35 + shipping on the MdC website. If people didn't hype it like it's cocaine, this would be a $24 soap lost in mid tier section of online shops.

Veblen goods are types of luxury goods for which the quantity demanded increases as the price increases, an apparent contradiction of the law of demand, resulting in an upward-sloping demand curve.

Here's my breakdown for MdC.

MdC is a $35 soap for 200g. TOBS refill puck is half that weight and half that price (100g / $16, no container) and has half the longevity of MdC. So it's the same price point at best, but may be actually twice more expensive $ per shave.

Acqua di Parma cream is MUCH more expensive ($60 + shipping for 125ml cream). Even Proraso 275ml cream ($17) from their Single Edge line is more expensive than MdC $/shave. Only thing that beats it for value is Cella 1kg block and other barber supply sized soaps and creams from Italy. Oh yeah, and Arko.

Where re-sellers bleed us is the expensive shipping MdC adds (over $20) to buy it from France directly. Re-sellers copy the total of $60 price, not the $35 (and they probably buy it 30% cheaper, for very small shipping cost at bulk) and then offer you a 'great deal' at $50 + their own shipping that adds up few $ cheaper than buying it from France. The lowest price I got offered for 200g of MdC was 42 euros ($47) + shipping. Funny because it clearly says $35 + shipping on the MdC website. If people didn't hype it like it's cocaine, this would be a $24 soap lost in mid tier section of online shops.

All the artisan soap also have shipping costs that add to their total price. While MdC is above-average, your initial value analysis still holds. Also, a $24 soap is still generally considered more than mid-tier if it otherwise has a good and established reputation.

All the artisan soap also have shipping costs that add to their total price. While MdC is above-average, your initial value analysis still holds. Also, a $24 soap is still generally considered more than mid-tier if it otherwise has a good and established reputation.

Upper mid-tier certainly.

I remember Pannacrema with its Pure2O (was basically a $13 soap) also had this price inflation with shipping from Italy direct that made them crawl up into premiums. Shavers ordered in multiples to justify the shipping cost. I still have 3 unopened tubs of the Vetyver.

The market demand spoke to Marco that shavers crave for something truly premium and are ready to pay for it, being bored with the British T's, MWF, Tabac... And Nuavia (new way) was born.

Last edited:
I’m in the under $20 crowd but happier under $10. Haslinger does everything I want or need and can be obtained around $5-6. This discussion applies to cars too, if you have the money to buy a Lamborghini, good on ya. Will it get you to your destination better than a lower cost alternative? Yeah, no way to answer that.

I might try MdC some day but this one made me pause
proxy.php

I’m in the under $20 crowd but happier under $10. Haslinger does everything I want or need and can be obtained around $5-6. This discussion applies to cars too, if you have the money to buy a Lamborghini, good on ya. Will it get you to your destination better than a lower cost alternative? Yeah, no way to answer that.

I might try MdC some day but this one made me pause
proxy.php

I hope many buy it and report back. It's probably insanely good.

Top Bottom