What's new

How much for soap?

What's the most $ you are willing to pay for soap?

• As cheap as possible

• Under $10

• Under $20

• Under $30

• Sky is the limit

Results are only viewable after voting.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
That's the challenge we leave to the artisans to figure out. Pannacrema's selling point is skin care benefits and unique scent. MdC's is how basic and rustic the soap is.

I find comparisons between MdC and PC interesting. I've used both and both perform equally well, for me. Post shave included. But MdC lasts longer and is easier to lather (one of the easiest to lather soaps I've tried).

That's the challenge we leave to the artisans to figure out. Pannacrema's selling point is skin care benefits and unique scent. MdC's is how simple and rustic the soap is. Both have nice, authentic, yet basic disposable containers.

Agreed. Just to comment about Nuavia, but I think their strong suit is the complexity and refinement of their scents, namely Blu and Rossa and the attractive heavy ceramic containers. As for the performance, we all have our preferences as to what works well for our skin, for me I still prefer tallow soaps with various butters and oils for skin conditioning. Nuavia and MDC has very simple ingredients, and to some that can be attractive.

I find comparisons between MdC and PC interesting. I've used both and both perform equally well, for me. Post shave included. But MdC lasts longer and is easier to lather (one of the easiest to lather soaps I've tried).

Probably the easiest to lather in my den, not to mention MDC will last a very long time. They also used to come in those heavy glass jars which added to the rustic charm.

I haven't gone into the high high end for soaps, but have tried a variety of "higher" end soaps (3 T's, DR Harris etc.) about 10ish years ago when they were the more expensive soaps. Whenever I tried a more expensive soap, for me it's been "yeah, that's nice" but wan't particularly moved by it. I have a bowl of Floris I paid I bought retail and paid a stoopid amount of money on it. It's not in the rotation.

Since getting back into it, I've got a handful of new soaps in the rotation that I'm enjoying immensely (Fine Accoutrements, B&M, SV). This time around, I noticed a significant difference in performance. Particularly the B&M reserve base and SV 4.3. The SV Felce Aromatica is well worth it to me. I'd say this is my upper end for a regular purchase.

That being said, I wonder if the leap from SV to MDC and Pannacrema Nueva is significant. I've got samples of pannacrema blue and green en route, so will see.

I don't need more soaps in the den, I already get FOMO choosing between the half dozen I actively use.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
...I wonder if the leap from SV to MDC and Pannacrema Nueva is significant.

IMO, it is not a significant leap. That said, all are completely different soaps so you may like one over another. For me, SV 4.3 is tops, but the scent of Blu, intoxicating. MdC is a solid all around performer.

Let us know your thoughts after you compare them.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I tried a sample of Martin de Candre, and if it was half the price, I still wouldn't consider it good value for money. That's with my skin, my beard, my tap water, my brush, my technique... and no implication that anyone else should feel the same way about it.

Yes, the lather felt nice and luxurious to apply (albeit needing far more elbow grease first, to get it ready for use), but shaving performance and post shave feel, offered nothing over significantly cheaper products.

I tried some of the big name creams. Same deal. In fact I'm currently using a melt and pour craft soap, and in terms of shaving performance, and post shave feel, I don't consider MdC that much better, and this stuff doesn't clog up the brush like MdC did either.

Pre de Provence was a bigger disappointment, albeit at a lower price. That really did a number on the brush, and I had to give it a deep clean with baking soda solution to clear it. MdC was a better performer than this, but Mitchell's and Haslinger Schafmilch beat them both hands down. In fact, I'd rather use a £0.50 Palmolive stick for shaving performance (though in fairness, it's probably not quite as good on post shave feel).

I think with soap, there's a lot of perceived benefit, which might be more emotional than physical. I think it's a bit like the Zamac arguement. I can buy a zamac razor and a hack of a lot of spares, for less than one of the luxury stainless razors. Yet some people still have such a strong aversion to it, as if the very notion of a razor not outliving them, makes it an inferior razor.

Each to their own, of course, but it's another example of personal perception, as much as actual physical shaving performance. People want to feel good for having bought themselves a razor that will outlast them, or a soap that makes them feel like they're having a luxurious spa treatment every morning, or an exclusive scent, or handmade shoes, or a luxury watch. Nothing wrong with any of that. I have a similar sense of pride from what I do, rather than what I use. But there is value in that perception, over and above the shave itself.

I'm rambling... I'll shut up :p

IMO, it is not a significant leap. That said, all are completely different soaps so you may like one over another. For me, SV 4.3 is tops, but the scent of Blu, intoxicating. MdC is a solid all around performer.

Yes I think the scent of my Blu has me hooked and the performance is magnificent. Its hard for me to believe I will ever give it up! SV is great but the scent of the BLU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still need to try the MdC.

After years of wet shaving, I know now that even an expensive soap is less per shave than the toilet paper I use a day. So you know, I'm ok with an expensive soap so long as it provides the shave I'm looking for. I've moved from under $15.00 soaps to sky is the limit. My face deserves it just as much as my rump does. :001_smile

This is a great comparison, but then again there aren't many who stockpile 5+ years' worth of toilet paper. I'm thinking of only buying samples for the foreseeable future, since I have a stronger desire just to have tried things than I do to actually have dozens of pucks on hand (no offense to any TP enthusiasts on the forum--as always, YMMV!)

This is a great comparison, but then again there aren't many who stockpile 5+ years' worth of toilet paper. I'm thinking of only buying samples for the foreseeable future, since I have a stronger desire just to have tried things than I do to actually have dozens of pucks on hand (no offense to any TP enthusiasts on the forum--as always, YMMV!)
Man, you guys don't know what you're missing. It's a great thing to "fall" back on when you need it. LOL.

I'm all about the samples too. I just wish someone would sample out the classics - the more expensive classics. ABC, MdC, Panama, edc., edc. You know what I'm saying.

Man, you guys don't know what you're missing. It's a great thing to "fall" back on when you need it. LOL.

I'm all about the samples too. I just wish someone would sample out the classics - the more expensive classics. ABC, MdC, Panama, edc., edc. You know what I'm saying.

Haha. And YES! even as I was typing this I thought, well this will work for newer artisans, but so many classics would remain unknown.

Under $20. The most I spend right now is $12.50, which is what a puck of Fine Accoutrements soap runs. And since I haven't really been all that impressed by most of the artisan soap samples I've tried, I think it will probably stay that way. I'd kind of like to try a Musgo Real cream, but I can't see spending $24.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Yes I think the scent of my Blu has me hooked and the performance is magnificent. Its hard for me to believe I will ever give it up! SV is great but the scent of the BLU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still need to try the MdC.

I get my fix of Nuavia Blu scent from Third Man de Caron EDT. Very similar.

Have used Williams from day one. Tonite I broke the bank at the local Meijer's store and paid $10.00 and change for a puck of Olivina. A couple days ago I tried to buy from an Ohio botique soap maker, but couldn't get through on phone to order, which would have cost ~twice as much.
If the new soap goes South I may go back to my old standby or try exploring again.
Cheers,
R

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I understand people who say they won't try anything over $15. I feel the same way in the other direction - I won't try anything under $15. MdC is my cheapest soap at less than $50 a year, but I like WK even thought it's about $80 a year.

Being a retired teacher I can't afford a lot of luxury, but I can handle $1 a week for shaving soap.

Check out Shave Dash. He has all of them.

I'll be sure to report back and I'll be sure to distinguish between "better" and "preferable". After the hiatus and seeing all the new product out there, we are certainly spoiled for choice. This is the first time where I've had every soap in the rotation hands down solid performers with scents that work for me. Before it was good, but this time it's exceptional.

Originally, my ceiling was about $20.00. As I acquired more soap and my stockpile grew, that number has been dropping. With a large number of soaps on hand, the incremental value of adding yet another soap has dropped.

Top Bottom