What's new

How much for soap?

What's the most $ you are willing to pay for soap?

• As cheap as possible

• Under $10

• Under $20

• Under $30

• Sky is the limit

Results are only viewable after voting.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I’m in the under $20 crowd but happier under $10. Haslinger does everything I want or need and can be obtained around $5-6. This discussion applies to cars too, if you have the money to buy a Lamborghini, good on ya. Will it get you to your destination better than a lower cost alternative? Yeah, no way to answer that.

I might try MdC some day but this one made me pause
proxy.php

I see that one is out of stock on their website but the other "flavors" are much less at $65.

Here is a video review of the Green. 75 bucks for the 7oz soap and 145 for the Serum. I'd like to try the soap but ain't gonna pay 145 for post shave! Sounds interesting.

Here is a video review of the Green. 75 bucks for the 7oz soap and 145 for the Serum. I'd like to try the soap but ain't gonna pay 145 for post shave! Sounds interesting.

Yeah, I'd like to try this one as well but I'm not going to shell out $220 for a soap and aftershave set. I've bought plenty of high dollar items in the past but this one even exceeds my ability to justify the purchase. This might be the very first item that I can't get past the price on. Even if the performance justified the price, how would I know that I'd even like the scent. I'd have to absolutely love it at this price.

You can by the soap alone. Paul H got samples. I agree, in my post I would not get the postshave serum. 145 is ridiculous. I don't care what unobtainium is in it!

After using and really dialing in Arko, Derby, Col. Conk, Williams, VDH, and really enjoying Tabac, Stirling Soaps, and a few others I find it real hard to buy something over twenty bucks now. Heck, if it isn't Tabac or Stirling I don't think I'd buy anything over ten bucks. I know in the grande scheme of things it isn't that much, but when you get such great shaves with what I mentioned above a lot of your more expensive soaps seem to be just "meh" for the price. Maybe I'm weird. I don't know.

Just so you know I mostly posted to see this race to the bottom with who can find the most expensive shave soap.

After using and really dialing in Arko, Derby, Col. Conk, Williams, VDH, and really enjoying Tabac, Stirling Soaps, and a few others I find it real hard to buy something over twenty bucks now. Heck, if it isn't Tabac or Stirling I don't think I'd buy anything over ten bucks. I know in the grande scheme of things it isn't that much, but when you get such great shaves with what I mentioned above a lot of your more expensive soaps seem to be just "meh" for the price. Maybe I'm weird. I don't know.

Just so you know I mostly posted to see this race to the bottom with who can find the most expensive shave soap.

There are a lot better soaps out there than the ones you mentioned. For example Grooming Dept, Tallow & Steel and Lisa's Premium. All are around the $25 mark. What you'll get with the very best ones is better slickness, better packaging, better scents and way better post shave. There are plenty in the $25 range that aren't spectacular as well, so buyer beware. You have to know which ones to buy but know that at this time the very best soaps on the planet will run you around the $25 mark. Still if you're enjoying what you're using now and don't want to spend more for something better, then there's no need to, as you won't know what you're missing.

As far as getting to the most expensive soap out there goes, there are several $65 soaps out there that are quite nice but they aren't as good as the ones I mentioned above. Martin de Candre ($60) is one that is often spoken about. There are some that are associated with a fragrance like Creed ($125) or have some special packaging like that fancy machined aluminum C&S tub ($160) that have exceeded that mark by quite a bit. Nothing special there in terms of performance with these two though. The PannaCrema Nuavia ($65) ones are especially nice as the scents are very high end and the performance is tier 1.

All said and done though, the most expensive ones I've experienced are the ones I bought and didn't use.

You can by the soap alone. Paul H got samples. I agree, in my post I would not get the postshave serum. 145 is ridiculous. I don't care what unobtainium is in it!

The serum looks good but even at half of that $145 price tag I suspect it would make me pause and think twice before buying it.

There are a lot better soaps out there than the ones you mentioned. For example Grooming Dept, Tallow & Steel and Lisa's Premium. All are around the $25 mark. What you'll get with the very best ones is better slickness, better packaging, better scents and way better post shave. There are plenty in the $25 range that aren't spectacular as well, so buyer beware. You have to know which ones to buy but know that at this time the very best soaps on the planet will run you around the $25 mark. Still if you're enjoying what you're using now and don't want to spend more for something better, then there's no need to, as you won't know what you're missing.

As far as getting to the most expensive soap out there goes, there are several $65 soaps out there that are quite nice but they aren't as good as the ones I mentioned above. Martin de Candre ($60) is one that is often spoken about. There are some that are associated with a fragrance like Creed ($125) or have some special packaging like that fancy machined aluminum C&S tub ($160) that have exceeded that mark by quite a bit. Nothing special there in terms of performance with these two though. The PannaCrema Nuavia ($65) ones are especially nice as the scents are very high end and the performance is tier 1.

All said and done though, the most expensive ones I've experienced are the ones I bought and didn't use.
You're probably dead on with everything you said here. If I were in a more civilized part of the world where I could get hands on with a lot of the products you mentioned I'd probably have a bit different look at things. As of right now, except for the cheap stuff, it's a gamble to buy the more expensive stuff. I personally cannot tell much of a difference between the performance of separate products. Some products take more water, time, or both to get a good lather. Some are quick and easy. At least for me.

You have to admit anything is better than any product out of a can.

There are a lot better soaps out there than the ones you mentioned. For example Grooming Dept, Tallow & Steel and Lisa's Premium. All are around the $25 mark. What you'll get with the very best ones is better slickness, better packaging, better scents and way better post shave.

If MWF was scented and quick to lather as Tabac they would be all out of business.

I used to want my soaps under $20, & had many very nice soaps in my den. Then I tried Grooming Dept. & Declaration Grooming. I've found a noticeable improvement in performance in those soaps, as well as A&E. Now I like my soaps to be under $30.

I used to want my soaps under $20, & had many very nice soaps in my den. Then I tried Grooming Dept. & Declaration Grooming. I've found a noticeable improvement in performance in those soaps, as well as A&E. Now I like my soaps to be under $30.
I just picked up a sample of DG... Seeing it grouped with Grooming Dept makes me even more excited to try it. Lol.

FYI, I got a sample of CUIR ET ÉPICES (aptly translates to leather and spices?) [emoji16]

I just picked up a sample of DG... Seeing it grouped with Grooming Dept makes me even more excited to try it. Lol.

FYI, I got a sample of CUIR ET ÉPICES (aptly translates to leather and spices?) [emoji16]
I got a tub of DG Bandwagon. Let me know how you like your sample of Cuir Et Epices.

In the survey I mark under $30 but my limit is $25. I generally don’t pass that mark, there’s so much soaps under that mark who are just amazing performer. Even if the soap will have a reputation to be the best of all, I just can’t see why(of course for my budget) that I will spend more then $25 for a shaving soap.

If MWF was scented and quick to lather as Tabac they would be all out of business.

Personally, I don't find MWF better than the soaps I listed. For me given what I enjoy in a soap, it would be an average performer. I had no issues lathering it and the scent, while on the milder side, was relaxing and enjoyable. What kept me from using it, even before there were all of these new elite soaps out, was the white residue that it left all over my sink, brush and razor. That being said I'm glad that it's working well for you. We're not all going to like the same things, which is why there are so many soaps to choose from.

Latest videos by Chris.

Anyone getting bubbly lather from MdC?

I am sorry, but i will be a bit unpleasant. I had watched his video when he returned from his hiatus (there was a thread here about it) and i thought "well, here is a wetshaver that decides to retire by telling the truth. So now he will stick to Maca Root and goodbye". But then he went back to using other soaps. And now, after "bashing" MdC, while "applauding" Maca Root, he follows with another shave where MdC fails completely and once more "Maca Root comes to the rescue". And in one point in the first video he says "Maca root is arguably better".

In the video where MdC "fails", i think the lather was set to fail the moment he put the brush on his head. The lather was broken already in the brush (too watery) and he had even more water on his head.

I am sorry, but at this point, i think there is something behind this love for Maca Root, which he does love, but he puts aside after a couple of shaves to go back to the "business as usual", of using other soaps...

And i say this, while i can hardly be accused of being a MdC fan (i enjoy making fun of it as a matter of fact).

I am sorry, but i will be a bit unpleasant. I had watched his video when he returned from his hiatus (there was a thread here about it) and i thought "well, here is a wetshaver that decides to retire by telling the truth. So now he will stick to Maca Root and goodbye". But then he went back to using other soaps. And now, after "bashing" MdC, while "applauding" Maca Root, he follows with another shave where MdC fails completely and once more "Maca Root comes to the rescue". And in one point in the first video he says "Maca root is arguably better".

In the video where MdC "fails", i think the lather was set to fail the moment he put the brush on his head. The lather was broken already in the brush (too watery) and he had even more water on his head.

I am sorry, but at this point, i think there is something behind this love for Maca Root, which he does love, but he puts aside after a couple of shaves to go back to the "business as usual", of using other soaps...

And i say this, while i can hardly be accused of being a MdC fan (i enjoy making fun of it as a matter of fact).

I'm a bit skeptical about it too. BTW these are new videos from yesterday. You are referring to this one.

I'm a bit skeptical about it too. BTW these are new videos from yesterday. You are referring to this one.

Yes. In that video he says "I am not out to try everything that comes out anymore" and then he proceeds by explaining that Maca Root is as good as anything out there, there is no reason to spend money etc.

By the end of the video, i had made the idea, that "he is not out to try everything anymore, he sticks with Maca Root, why spend more money etc". And then, i see that he drops Maca Root after 2 videos and he uses: Captain's Choice, Razorock, Shannon's , Emerald Moss, then a video with MdC, where he says Maca Root is arguably better and he makes a very thin lather with MdC and now a video where MdC fails "completely" to the point that "the only cure is Maca Root".

Oh, and about the whole pitch about "I am not out to try soaps anymore, Maca Root is as good as anything else", in the meantime it has transformed it into something that "others who don't want to spend money should do" (so he can continue to try out everything, just like before the hiatus).

Maybe i am oversuspicious, but there is something abnormal in all this.

Top Bottom