What's new

Soaps?

Glad the Noble Otter worked out for you. It's one of my favorites as well. Let us know how the others work once you get to them.

Glad the Noble Otter worked out for you. It's one of my favorites as well. Let us know how the others work once you get to them.
I will! Have you used something like the maggard? What would be the best method to work that? I wouldn’t think a wet brush would be good for the product when loading that. Should I just scoop some out? Also I got an aftershave, Barrister and Mann Fougère Angelique Aftershave Splash..100% recommend if you enjoy the noble otter vanille scent.

I will! Have you used something like the maggard? What would be the best method to work that? I wouldn’t think a wet brush would be good for the product when loading that. Should I just scoop some out? Also I got an aftershave, Barrister and Mann Fougère Angelique Aftershave Splash..100% recommend if you enjoy the noble otter vanille scent.

I tried the Maggard branded soap in a sample several years ago but found it a bit drying for my skin type, if I remember correctly. I should see if I still have it and try it again.

In regards to lathering, my preference is to scoop the soap/cream out into a bowl and lather there. I don't like introducing water to my soaps unless they are hard soaps.

I use a Timeless bowl which is very economical; $12 new, $5 for a scratch and dent. It also works very well unless you have a large brush in the 28-30mm range. It's not the widest bowl.

I tried the Maggard branded soap in a sample several years ago but found it a bit drying for my skin type, if I remember correctly. I should see if I still have it and try it again.

In regards to lathering, my preference is to scoop the soap/cream out into a bowl and lather there. I don't like introducing water to my soaps unless they are hard soaps.

I use a Timeless bowl which is very economical; $12 new, $5 for a scratch and dent. It also works very well unless you have a large brush in the 28-30mm range. It's not the widest bowl.
Sounds good. I’ll probably put like a nickel sized piece of the maggard in when I try it.

I ended up getting 3 different soaps to try

Dr. Selby,
Noble Otter Soap Co. The Noir Et Vanille,
&
Maggard Razors Limes and Bergamot Shave Soap with Tallow.
I will also be going back to the feather blades. Been digging through some old crap of mine and found an old box of silver blue blades I never opened. May try them as well
The Noir Et Vanille is one that I also, initially, was not a huge fan of. I didn't hate it but wasn't all that excited about it.
Now I like it more each time I use it...had the same thing with Barrister and Mann Lavanille upon first use...MacDuffs Badlands is another one that comes to mind.
Sometimes soap smell descriptions don't really capture what is interpreted by the individual end user...a street that runs both ways. I've had a few that I ditched because I just couldn't stand the scents, but I read about that same soap on these forums and some folks love the way they smell.
To each his own

So many soaps / croaps / creams / sticks out there to choose from, we are very luck.
I am also extremely lucky, my dad now 96 has been making quality soaps forever.
When he was young, he had a short career in the industry (in Italy). But he has always had the passion of creation so is sustained as a hobby. With hat also, he is a daily shaver.
I am the lucky beneficiary of some has great quality soaps (yes shaving also).

So long story short, you have one face.
Seek a high ingredient quality soap that works best for you and your shave process.
Sure, there is a trial and error phase but it is worth it ( well for me).
The whole lathering process for me is one of the key zen parts of the shave.

I always makes my eyes open up, when I hear of someone that uses a high end razor with a cheap chemically infused cream/soap/stick.. But if they are happy, who am I to question that.

Also you do not have spent a lot of money for a soap w/ good quality ingredients.
The simple guide I have is, if you don't understand what some of the ingredients are - then keep looking....

But hey...bottom-line
Your Face, Your Shave, & Your Choice... YMMV
Enjoy...
& good luck on your quest..

In my glad I’m not the only one. Have you used the original before the change? I’ve never used a cream in my life, however the Mallard looks to be a stiff cream rather than a soap. I can scoop some up with my finger.

I have both on hand. Performance might be a little better with super formula but it's the scent I don't care for. It got milder and smells like there's some proraso white mixed in, and I just can't abide by whatever specific scent note that is. I don't get that from the cream. I dream of a new SUPER DUPER Formula with boosted menthol and eucalyptus.

Like other posted have said... there is soooo much good stuff out there. As you try stuff, you might find have a few "meh" soaps...hang on to them. How you feel about some soaps now isn't how you're going to feel about them later, and it's helpful to try them again. I've gotten better about what works for me and doesn't (scent and performance) and things have gotten more simple.

Keep having fun!

Tried out the Maggard. Holy hell. I won’t make this mistake again! I just used a spoon and scraped a small scoop off and pressed it in bottom of my bowl about a quarter size or so maybe slightly bigger. I had enough lather for probably 15+ passes..

I only had 24 hr stubble but really wanted to jump in and get a feel for the maggard. Scent wise I think I like the noble otter a bit more. Performance wise it felt about on par with the otter but I think I prefer the otter due to the loading process is better for me. I add water slowly and it felt like I was running in circles as mixing water in also kept adding soap. I found tripling the amount of water normally added and mixing just enough to blend it in was the ticket in this scenerio to get a wet enough lather

This soap did come off as much thirstier, however I have to remember I had more soap right in my bowl whenever I tried to whip in more water. It definitely only needs a very small amount.
Depending on how it goes, I will try the last soap on Sunday.

Attachments

• IMG_2080.jpeg
    IMG_2080.jpeg
    815.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The dr Shelby was very good. And the way it lathers is absolutely insane. Just going off of what I saw on a review. I decided to not try to bloom the soap and load the least amount of time possible. I loaded for about 10-15 seconds, just long enough to get some paste going. Had enough lather for a 3+ shave. It performed well. The scent isn’t much to speak on. I actually had a thought while lathering that it really smells similar to the old porters liniment salve in a can just not quite as strong. Overall I think I prefer the otter out of the other two at this moment. However if budget is in your conscience the Shelby will probably last you 3x as long, its lather production is that insane.

Once I get a better feel for the maggard I may end up enjoying it more. I probably feel this way as I never used a cream base before and the maggard I definitely fudged on the amount of soap I added.

I wish to thank you all for the suggestions. I’m quite happy with all of the soaps.

Top Bottom