What's new

How do you organize your shaving gear?

Let's just say my beer fridge has been turned into a hybrid beer fridge and long term soap storage fridge filled with vacuum sealed bags of shave soap. My amazing Wife thinks everything I have is in my cabinet in the bathroom ;)
LOL. Love that idea. I take your wife doesn’t drink then?

In the beginning Kal created the brackets and the shelves; Kal saw the brackets and the shelves, and they were good
But the razors were without order and darkness was upon the face of the middle shelves
So Kal said let there be light and there was light……eventually

The problem: The lower two shelves were a little dark and didn't properly display the razors in all their shiny beauty.
The solution: Simple, install a pair of motion activated LED light bars.
The problems with the solution: The light bars have two sensors that need to be in a particular combination to turn on the light. An LDR senses the ambient light and needs to detect none, or very little, and a PIR which uses infrared to detect movement. Problems are twofold. First, I want the light bars to turn on when the bathroom lights are on & not when they're off and second the PIR was much too sensitive with it being triggered by any nearby movement including the spastic nighttime wandering cat (which happened repeatedly).
1.jpg
The solutions to the solution's problems: The LDR fix was easy enough, just remove it from the circuit. With it gone the circuit is effectively in perpetual darkness regardless of the ambient light so it only needs the PIR to trigger the lights. Second problem took a little more thinking. I wanted to keep it as clean and discrete looking as possible with no additional switches, sensors, etc. and preferably just have it triggered by the existing PIR. Needed something to dull its sensitivity of the PIR but that turned out to be something of a Goldilocks scenario. Some material like nail polish or electrical tape didn't provide enough blocking effect, potting compound provided too much. Turns out ~4mm of hot glue applied directly on the PIR was just right.
2.jpg

This is what it looked like before:
3.jpg

And this is what it looks like with the lights on:
4.jpg

Now just casual movement won't cause them to come on, to get that to happen just need to momentarily touch the sensor. Similar to the old springless buttons used on Otis elevators that you could trigger with hot air.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
In the beginning Kal created the brackets and the shelves; Kal saw the brackets and the shelves, and they were good
But the razors were without order and darkness was upon the face of the middle shelves

The problem: The lower two shelves were a little dark and didn't properly display the razors in all their shiny beauty.
The problems with the solution: The light bars have two sensors that need to be in a particular combination to turn on the light. An LDR senses the ambient light and needs to detect none, or very little, and a PIR which uses infrared to detect movement. Problems are twofold. First, I want the light bars to turn on when the bathroom lights are on & not when they're off and second the PIR was much too sensitive with it being triggered by any nearby movement including the spastic nighttime wandering cat (which happened repeatedly).
View attachment 983229
The solutions to the solution's problems: The LDR fix was easy enough, just remove it from the circuit. With it gone the circuit is effectively in perpetual darkness regardless of the ambient light so it only needs the PIR to trigger the lights. Second problem took a little more thinking. I wanted to keep it as clean and discrete looking as possible with no additional switches, sensors, etc. and preferably just have it triggered by the existing PIR. Needed something to dull its sensitivity of the PIR but that turned out to be something of a Goldilocks scenario. Some material like nail polish or electrical tape didn't provide enough blocking effect, potting compound provided too much. Turns out ~4mm of hot glue applied directly on the PIR was just right.
View attachment 983230

View attachment 983231

View attachment 983232

Now just casual movement won't cause them to come on, to get that to happen just need to momentarily touch the sensor. Similar to the old springless buttons used on Otis elevators that you could trigger with hot air.
whoa fantastic collection and display
Impressive write up also

Really enjoyed looking at these collections and ideas for storage but it's made my acquisition disorder start up again after weeks of abstinence!!
I'll need to bookmark this thread so I can re-visit when I need help with hiding stuff ...oops, I mean storing of course.

I don't do it very well. I've got a drawer for soaps in use, a drawer for creams in use and blades, a drawer for aftershaves, then a roll top desk with razors, more blades, new soaps and creams, and aftershave overflow.

View attachment 983229
View attachment 983230

View attachment 983231

View attachment 983232

Impressive.

I've got a couple floating shelves, a spice rack from Amazon and a little 3 shelf organizer also from Amazon. For razors I've got 2 tooth brush holders from Walmart and a Parker razor stand that wasn't cheap. I like the test tube rack idea and I may get one too.
IMG_20190428_201813.jpg

This is an excellent & inspiring thread. I’ll share when I get figured out what I want to display & where I put what I don’t want displayed!

whoa fantastic collection and display
Impressive write up also
Impressive.
Thank you

Motion activated LED? Where is this uppity gentleman grooming boutique located? :turned:

LOL....not sure I'd consider it uppity or a boutique, just my humble WC

it's made my acquisition disorder start up again after weeks of abstinence!!

Weeks? That long...you did better than most.

I've got a couple floating shelves, a spice rack from Amazon and a little 3 shelf organizer also from Amazon. For razors I've got 2 tooth brush holders from Walmart and a Parker razor stand that wasn't cheap. I like the test tube rack idea and I may get one too.

View attachment 983307
Very nice!

I still keep one of those plastic latch thingies on my drawer to keep the kids out.
I have to put those on drawers where we keep the cat treats. Although the psycho kitty has figured out how to sit on the counter & pull up to open them

Thank you

LOL....not sure I'd consider it uppity or a boutique, just my humble WC

Weeks? That long...you did better than most.

Very nice!

I have to put those on drawers where we keep the cat treats. Although the psycho kitty has figured out how to sit on the counter & pull up to open them

That's a smart cat. Growing up my wife had a cat that could open doors it would jump up and grab the door knob and shift back and forth until it twisted enough.
You've certainly have some interesting animals. I laughed so hard I was crying when I read this one. Saving money...?

Last edited:
Nothing crazy for me, you fellas have some great organization ideas! I've just got most of my AS on the counter, razors in a drawer and soaps and extras in the cabinet at my feet. Not pictured are my balms (in an opposite drawer) and my Straights (kept in the bedroom). The wooden wine box contains a few hundred blades from various manufacturers.20190528_214432.jpg 20190528_214523.jpg 20190528_214538.jpg

View attachment 958056

This thread is gnarly! You guys all make me feel better and inferior all at the same time! I have a few of these. Gotta stay compact here in NYC. No space to burn. I am super light on software. Try to use and replace (or give away).

@Klinker did you do cut outs or are those razors sitting on that foam?
Where did you get those plastic boxes? I think I need one for my overflow of razors/brushes. Haha

Where did you get those plastic boxes? I think I need one for my overflow of razors/brushes. Haha
Ordered on Amazon. I think they're for fishing tackle. They are pretty adjustable. Won't fit my omega brushes though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

581DFF93-EFC7-4E0B-82DE-D2558B7B156F.jpeg
My shave station has been relegated to a corner in my home office by the wife. I’m quickly running out of shelf space as you can see..trying to come up with an idea for a wall mounted blade holder that can accommodate 10 or so different types of blades

Top Bottom