What's new

Share your "end game"/permanent gear you use for 90%+ of shaves

Razor: Mamba 70
Blades: Gillette 7 o'clock yellow and Derby Premium (but they aren't 90%; blades are cheap so I still try new ones)
Brush:AoS badger and Omega boar
Soap: Proraso green and RazoRock XXX (but I also rotate others through)
After Shave: Osage Rub and Every Man Jack face lotion

Exactly! Where do you get yours? All the sources near me are more expensive than that.
Amazon looked OK they have gone up to $8
used to get them for 5.49 or something BUMMER
but still not a bad deal

curious how many shaves you get out of them ? I notice I can only get one good one the 2nd falls apart on last pass

Amazon looked OK they have gone up to $8
used to get them for 5.49 or something BUMMER
but still not a bad deal

curious how many shaves you get out of them ? I notice I can only get one good one the 2nd falls apart on last pass
Thanks for this!

I get two perfect shaves and then the third is not worth the effort for me.

The brush is a Gentleman Jon that was in a kit that had been re-gifted to a thrift store. I have a few others but don't remember where I put them, it's been so long.

The shaving bowl is one of those textured surface, stoneware bowls that I think is a cooking tool of some sort, a thrift store pickup. I have a similar backup somewhere since ceramics and bathrooms, well, disaster is not an if but a when.

The shave cream rotation involves somewhat more variety, but I tend to gravitate to the Gillette Pure or Cremo 75 percent of the time.

For the razor I will use anything, and have an inventory that supports a couple of lifetimes of doing just that, but mostly I use the Goodfellow 5 blade (also sold as Jack Black Closer), essentially a Quattro with a fifth blade instead of those little wires over the blades. For DE, I have a short handle Merkur and of course a zillion blades, but usually use the Silver Blue.

A hobby of variety for a creature of habit. It's a better mix than it sounds.

Great question! My ‘end game’ for what it is worth:

Razor: Wolfman WR1 (no question, this is my ‘daily driver’)

Blades: GSB (today’s answer, although I could be just as happy with any of my ‘top tier‘ blades)

Brush: Shavemac beagle 2-band (used yesterday and enjoyed immensely)

Soap: Haslinger’s (although I could, and do select any from my current rotation)

Splash: Speick (simply hits all of my buttons, with an occasional option to use some Clubman)

But I do enjoy variety!! :a29::a29:

Some combination of the "ingredients" below would comprise +90% of my shaves with soaps being the biggest X Factor:

Razor: Tatara Masamune (CC/OC)
Blade: Astra Superior Plat, Treet Plat
Soap: Canadian Shave, Stirling UWB
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar T3
Bowl: $3 Ceramic (Target "Clearance")
Aftershave: Nivea Sensitive, Duke Cannon
MISC: Osma alum block

If I had to choose.
20231207_200127.jpg

My “end game” stuff is extremely boring, but that’s what helps the special stuff feel special :)

I’ve come to realize that the Edwin Jagger DE89 is the perfect balance of feel/weight/form factor for me.

The Gillette Nacet blade is just the right amount of sharp and smooth.

The PAA Starcraft brush looks awesome, feels awesome, and it ended up being the one I use everytime without thinking about it.

My Fine lathering bowl is the only one I ever use anymore.

As for soaps and other software, they change all the time but if I had a “default” it would be Arko soap and Proraso green splash, with Nivea Sensitive Skin balm.

Had I known, when I first got into wet shaving, I would have saved SO MUCH MONEY! But then it wouldn’t be as much fun, would it?

For now, my minimalist endgame is:

Razor: King C. Gillette

Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum

Brush: Noble Otter

Bowl: Timeless Blue bowl

Soap: Badger

Aftershave: Old Spice (English Leather possible at Christmas or Birthday)

Top Bottom