What's new

Hot sauce junkie

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Oh awesome. I don't like how the trend is to try to pack more and more heat in... instead of just going for flavor first. Too many of them use the scoville scale as a selling point. I like food spicy, and even sometimes pretty hot by a lot of others standards, but I don't want 2nd degree burns on my tongue, or a rash if the stuff lands on my inner arm. lol

Right. I've notice where companies are offering different levels of heat. The Marie's line of hot sauces are excellent and my favorite of theirs is the mild. Lately, the majority of what I eat are the mild to medium heats. On occasion I have to open the furnace up and get a little scalded...just to keep things honest.

Right. I've notice where companies are offering different levels of heat. The Marie's line of hot sauces are excellent and my favorite of theirs is the mild. Lately, the majority of what I eat are the mild to medium heats. On occasion I have to open the furnace up and get a little scalded...just to keep things honest.

Yeah, it reminds me of the trend in microbrew beers to just keep adding more and more hops... but I digress. It discourages me from wanting to try new ones, since the odds are high they'll be out of my usual level of tolerance for the heat aspect.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Oh awesome. I don't like how the trend is to try to pack more and more heat in... instead of just going for flavor first. Too many of them use the scoville scale as a selling point. I like food spicy, and even sometimes pretty hot by a lot of others standards, but I don't want 2nd degree burns on my tongue, or a rash if the stuff lands on my inner arm. lol

Here's a nice mild one that I own:

https://www.mohotta.com/product/Marie-Sharps-Mild-Habanero-Pepper-Sauce/All-Hot-Sauces

I sent one to Chris in New Zealand and he likes it a lot too. Not too hot, low salt, good flavor.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Last edited:
any sauce from Melinda's is worth the investment. Melindas.com. I recommend hot sauce (mango or something sweet) on pizza. The best! Putting it on Popchips also does the trick ;-)

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
any sauce from Melinda's is worth the investment. Melindas.com. I recommend hot sauce (mango or something sweet) on pizza. The best! Putting it on Popchips also does the trick ;-)

Popchips?

The Melinda's are good but I haven't tried them in a while. The mango sounds great.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I made my first habanero sauce after Aaron linked to a recipe posted by tinashubby- http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/305302-Habanero-hot-sauce!?highlight=hot+sauce. Since I forgot to take a list with me, I made some mods- I added more habanero (plus the seeds from four), an extra carrot, extra garlic, extra lime plus the zest (I love lime and garlic). The reaction from several coworkers is "this is sweet" followed several seconds later by "ooh, this is hot". My supervisor liked it so much he is going to fund the next batch I make, and he wants me to make a big one. I may make a small batch first, as I want to see what putting the habs on a grill for a little bit will do to the flavor.

- 16 habanero peppers
- 3 carrots
- 1 lg. onion
- 8 cloves of garlic
-1/2 tbs. salt
-1/4 tbs. black pepper
- Juice and zest of 2 limes
- 8 tbs. white vinegar

Cut habanero peppers in half and remove seeds- save the seeds from 4 of them. Drop in boiling water for 30 seconds to blanche.(handle with care). Remove peppers and put onion, carrots and garlic cloves into boiling water and cook until tender. Zest the peel of two limes, then add the juice, and combine all ingredients (including the reserved seeds) and put in blender. First chop, then blend at high speed.

on edit: changed white pepper to black- I didn't have any white.

Attachments

• $habsauce.jpg
    $habsauce.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My favorite is Sriracha. The trouble with telling friends that you like hot sauce is that you get presents like this from them. *** Blaser hot sauce. It is hot but it tastes bad IMHO.

I hate it when people try to overcompensate for taste by bringing more heat. This goes for chili as well.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You can't call yourself a hot sauce junkie until you have tried Dave's Insanity Sauce.

I was at a buddy's house drinking beer one night (how many bad stories start with that line?) and he dared me to take a tablespoon of that stuff. I did. It was worse than another time when I was drinking beer at the same buddies house and he got me with cop strength pepper spray. Hmmm, I haven't seen him in a while...

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Has anyone tried any hot sauce made from the Carolina Reaper chili????
yes just got this one yesterday from Hott *** Chili. Deadly Passion
It says it has in it.
Bubblegum's, Carolina Reapers, Brazilian Ghosts, Jays Ghost Scorpions, Morugas, Trindad Scorpions, Bhut Jolokias, 7 Pots, Primos's, Nagas,
Infinity's, Jigsaw's Madballz 7's, Devil's Tongue's and much MUCH more.

$chili.png

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Since I am now in demand, i have been trying to come up with a catchy name. Two of my grandfather's sisters used to make a tomato.based hot sauce that the family called Hot Stuff. Once a year the family would get some from Aunt Celie and Aunt Irene. Both had their own recipe (which they took to the grave), both were good, but i was an Aunt Celie fan. So, to commemorate both women, i think i will call it Big O's Hot Stuff. Hope that isn't too corny

Top Bottom