What's new

Hot sauce junkie

So the deal with the Sriracha factory gets weirder by the day. First you've got to understand that Irwindale (where they're currently located), is a pit, literally, a former gravel pit. There's about 1500 residents and everything else is commercial space from recyclers to a Mega Miller Brewery. Second thing is that Irwindale fronted Huy Fong a loan to MOVE to Irwindale (which HF has paid off). Third is all the complaints come from 4 families, one of whom is related to a city council member. Fourth is that there are tons of homes just a few blocks away but across city lines. Oddly no complaints from ALL these folks

I don't smell peppers, I smell a shakedown. It hasn't made it into the news, but I bet a certain family approached Tran and said pay up or we'll make trouble.

My favourite hot sauces are Indonesian sambals, there are thousands of variations and far too many to list, but all involve a good amount of fresh chillis, sometimes cooked sometimes raw.

I also like a dipping sauce of light soy sauce and fresh chopped bird's eye chillies, I have it with Chinese, Thai or Indonesian food.

Texas Pete is good stuff. Herr's Texas Pete chips are pretty good.

proxy.php

Pretty darn good. I used like 20% of one of the bottles on dinner. Must blow through this stuff quickly!

Oh, Yea. He makes a Black and a pink (bottle color) that are hotter. His others are really milder (orange bottle hotter than the green or red, but still delicious). I LOVE the smoked peppers and garlic. And yes... I usually get about 6-8 bottles at a time. 1 for work, 1 for my girlfriends house and the rest for here at my house.

Its cheaper (because of shipping) to buy 3 bottles rather than 1. At least the owner ships what its supposed to be and doesnt gouge on shipping. I met/found him on facebook when he was just starting out making it, literally at his house. He now has a professional manufacturing/bottling company doing it. I love it because I havent found a "meatier" hot sauce with the flavors I love. Smoked peppers!

Last edited:
Oh, Yea. He makes a Black and a pink (bottle color) that are hotter. His others are really milder (orange bottle hotter than the green or red, but still delicious). I LOVE the smoked peppers and garlic. And yes... I usually get about 6-8 bottles at a time. 1 for work, 1 for my girlfriends house and the rest for here at my house.

Its cheaper (because of shipping) to buy 3 bottles rather than 1. At least the owner ships what its supposed to be and doesnt gouge on shipping. I met/found him on facebook when he was just starting out making it, literally at his house. He now has a professional manufacturing/bottling company doing it. I love it because I havent found a "meatier" hot sauce with the flavors I love. Smoked peppers!

I paid 12.95 for shipping. Sort of expensive depending on your order size. Guess next order will have to be double! I agree with your "meatier" assessment. Very hearty and savory. Looking forward to trying the hotter one too.

Just picked up some Melindas hit sauce. Yeah! As I mentioned earlier this roadside vegetable store has an extensive shelf of sauces which makes it hard to choose.

Attachments

• $IMG_20140430_082244_467.jpg
    $IMG_20140430_082244_467.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 193
Ive been on a Valentina extra hot kick lately. Its excellent on eggs. Cheap too...compared to sauces like Cholula.

Hotlinepepperproducts.com This dude packs all the heat you could want with about the same amount of flavor. Best sauces I've tried.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
So the deal with the Sriracha factory gets weirder by the day. First you've got to understand that Irwindale (where they're currently located), is a pit, literally, a former gravel pit. There's about 1500 residents and everything else is commercial space from recyclers to a Mega Miller Brewery. Second thing is that Irwindale fronted Huy Fong a loan to MOVE to Irwindale (which HF has paid off). Third is all the complaints come from 4 families, one of whom is related to a city council member. Fourth is that there are tons of homes just a few blocks away but across city lines. Oddly no complaints from ALL these folks

I don't smell peppers, I smell a shakedown. It hasn't made it into the news, but I bet a certain family approached Tran and said pay up or we'll make trouble.

This should be a non-issue. Somehow 4 families making complaints has caused a big stink(pun intended) and really are not the culprits behind their problems. Its the local government that is to blame. I love Sriracha and the owner Tran is a perfect example of a man who came from Vietnam with nothing and created a world wide beloved sauce. Then after getting here and making something wonderful he is told NO you can't. Shame on you. I think I'm going to go down and buy me another bottle.

I just discovered the Valentina original sauce at a local small Mexican restaurant. Not the hottest of sauces, but I really don't need a ton of heat. I was looking more for flavor than heat and Valentina fits that bill. One of the best flavors from hot sauce I have ever had.

Ive been on a Valentina extra hot kick lately. Its excellent on eggs. Cheap too...compared to sauces like Cholula.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
If you can find it Kaitaia Fire Waha Wera Kiwifruit & Habanero
it is hot yet very flavoursome sauce

$kaitaia_kiwi_sauce.jpg

Last edited:
My Current favorite is Extra Mean Green from the puckerbutt pepper company. It has excellent flavor for a ghost pepper sauce (imo)

This post was made by a member from an other forum. It is too good not to pass along.

I have a story, too:

Back in '99, a buddy of mine was dating a girl that me and no one in our group liked. She had the run of him and would insist on my buddy bringing her along to any get-togethers my friends and I would have. Every Wednesday one of us would host a grill party at someone's place and we'd cook and drink some fine brews. Before my buddy started dating this girl, it was pretty much an unofficial "guy's hang out time", and he started bringing her along. This girl was a grump, didn't like any of us much, but would gladly eat what we cooked and help herself to our drinks. Never said "please" or "thank you", ever.

Well it was my turn to host one Friday and I had those little chicken drummies to throw on the grill. I also had some joke hotsauce (like Dave's Insanity sauce) called "Liquid Stoopid". This sauce was serious business, and I proceeded to slather it all over the 3 biggest chicken drummies, knowing that girl would make a bee line for em, as is her way.

So when the grilling's all done, I say "Ladies first!" and she comes over with her plate, sure enough grabs those 3 pieces of chicken. I chuckle like Jokey Smurf inside with a poker face on and everyone else grabs their chicken. We all get to eating and talking and I notice she's already working on the 3rd piece and her beer was gone. She's turning redder almost by the second and then she stops and looks at me, sweat beading all over her forehead:

"Did you put something on this chicken?"
"Yup"
"What the (censored) was it?"
"Liquid Stoopid" (then sounds of laughter from my buddies who know about that sauce)
"what is tha...OMG!"

Now, Liquid Stoopid is one of those sauces that isn't hot right away. It builds and builds and builds, and once you stop eating, it builds much quicker, to a fiery inferno of tongue-torturing pain. She gets up after that "OMG" and runs to the bathroom and doesn't come out for 10 minutes, about the time the effects die down. Water actually makes the effects worse, the only thing you can do is stick a wedge of lime with salt in your mouth.

Well there was no lime or salt, we were drinking Sierra Nevadas. She ended up hunched over the sink with her tongue sticking out under the faucet in the bathroom while we were all laughing about her grabbing the only tainted pieces of chicken. When she came back out looking extremely disheveled and no less red, she threw an empty bottle at my feet and demanded my buddy take her home. She never came to one of our grill parties again :biggrin: __________________

Sounds like something I would do. Great story.

Top Bottom