What's new

Hot sauce junkie

One of my favorites may not qualify as a "sauce", though I use it like one... Mongolian Fire Oil. Lightly hot chili oil with infused garlic and ginger. I buy it from Amazon since I can't find it locally, 12 bottles at a time.

$P1080108.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've actually been searching for such an item. I keep getting hot sesame oil. I see they make a sesame version as well but, man, I think I need a case of this.

IMHO I feel that really hot hot sauce is a waste. It gets to a point where you can't taste the food and your mouth is burning. I enjoy the experience of food and flavour. I've had really hot sauce but find I don't enjoy the meal and end up sweating for 20 minutes. Not to insult anyone here but sometimes I think that guys eat the really hot stuff just to prove something. In truth, really hot sauce usually doesn't have a great taste, just heat. I enjoy Frank's hot sauce. It has a great flavour and a small kick, not huge. I'm not a fan of Tobasco.

IMHO I feel that really hot hot sauce is a waste. It gets to a point where you can't taste the food and your mouth is burning. I enjoy the experience of food and flavour. I've had really hot sauce but find I don't enjoy the meal and end up sweating for 20 minutes. Not to insult anyone here but sometimes I think that guys eat the really hot stuff just to prove something. In truth, really hot sauce usually doesn't have a great taste, just heat. I enjoy Frank's hot sauce. It has a great flavour and a small kick, not huge. I'm not a fan of Tobasco.

I'm a big fan of hot sauces, but I agree with you. There comes a point where the heat level negates the positive flavor affects a sauce may have.

+1 heat is great but the best thing about habaneros, scotch bonnets, etc is the flavour and aroma. Too much heat and you miss that. That said, heat is relative and depends on what you're used to. You might think something's mildly hot. I might think it's outrageously hot because i haven't burned out all my heat receptors by slathering my food with 'rings around uranus' or 'puckerbutt' or whatever.

This is well worth a read, by the way: www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/the-g...d-the-worlds-hottest-peppers-73108111/?no-ist

+1 heat is great but the best thing about habaneros, scotch bonnets, etc is the flavour and aroma. Too much heat and you miss that. That said, heat is relative and depends on what you're used to. You might think something's mildly hot. I might think it's outrageously hot because i haven't burned out all my heat receptors by slathering my food with 'rings around uranus' or 'puckerbutt' or whatever

Funny you should say that. My wife and kids don't like heat at all so usually I cook a meal for them, then doctor up my serving with Frank's etc. However, the odd time I cook a family meal they complain it's too hot, and I literally get zero heat out of it.

On another note, I also like getting heat from the pepper directly and have an assortment of dried peppers. Also, one thing to point out, jalapeños vary in heat from pepper to pepper. So if your cooking and want to control the heat, cut a bit off and try it before adding it to your dish. You may end up adding more or less.

I've been enjoying High River Sauces Tears of the Sun this week.

Excellent pepper flavor with just the right amount of sweet from added fruits. Nice and chunky too.

For those who like Buffalo wings, I recommend this:

$3004-2T.jpg

Wonderful flavor. Won't impress anyone here with the heat, but is the sort of thing you can serve civilians without getting yelled at. :tongue_sm

I don't have a local vendor, so I get it at hotsauce.com, reasonably priced at $5.45/13oz. bottle.

A few of my favs,Tuong Ot Toi chili garlic sauce from Vietnam, and Nam Pla sauce. Nam Pla can be a little fishy and it smells stronger than it tastes.

I myself grew up with Texas Pete, being a NC girl. It was a staple in our house. I still keep it on hand but I have branched out in recent years. I love hot and spicy but I also love flavor. That being said, I'm not much of a fan of sauces that just burn for the sake of show. If it burns and has flavor though, that's perfect! My current favorites are Cholula, Tapatio, and anything made by Huy Fong Foods! We go through Sriracha like crazy. The company has some amazing chili-garlic sauce and just a chili paste as well. These aren't the hottest sauces but I cant imagine not having them in our kitchen. We especially use Sriracha on or in anything where you would normally use ketchup and more. Eggs, burgers, etc. I put it in soups, pastas, and on salads even. Please stay in business, Huy Fong!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Here's my collection. More than my soap collection.:blush:

$IMG_0529.jpg$IMG_0527.jpg

Two in the bunch I made myself. It's easy to make and you are rewarded with a burnt tongue...oh yeah.

I'm making a batch this weekend. I have Thai, habanero, serrano, jalapeno and chipotle(smoked jalapeno in adobo sauce) peppers in the house. I'll be using tinashubby's thread post as a starting point:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/305302-Habanero-hot-sauce!?highlight=hot+sauce

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Nice sauce rotation Aaron.

This is my current set up. Hope to have a few more delivered before Christmas.

Attachments

• $20141220_065656.jpg
    $20141220_065656.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Yummy group of burners there Chris. I think we need some more...and you don't have to worry about any sabbatical.
Just a couple more coming in pre Christmas. I'm waiting for Fire Dragon Chili to make some more sauce. They have a couple that I am very keen on trying but they grow their own pods so that is estimated at end January/February till they are back in stock.

No hot sauce Sabbatical ever. Just use for product.:thumbup:

Last edited:
I get sort of hooked on the ones I usually have, and just keep them in stock, without exploring or expanding. I should work on changing that up this coming year. :)

Hey Dustin, Check this place out:

https://www.mohotta.com/

It has more than I will ever try out. I recently bought the Chupacabra, Matouk's and the Marie's sweet Habanero. All very good. Great stocking stuffers.

Oh awesome. I don't like how the trend is to try to pack more and more heat in... instead of just going for flavor first. Too many of them use the scoville scale as a selling point. I like food spicy, and even sometimes pretty hot by a lot of others standards, but I don't want 2nd degree burns on my tongue, or a rash if the stuff lands on my inner arm. lol

Top Bottom