What's new

HK P2000SK

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Now if we’re talking about the amount of wood we’re packing down our pants, I’ve got a Sequoia. :ciappa:

All kidding aside, I see a lot of folks who can’t shoot small/thin guns worth a damn. I’ve got large hands, and it took me a VERY long time to become proficient with a sub 1” thick gun.

I definitely agree there. There is always going to be reality of ymmv for any subset of folks in the firearms community of what works for them or doesn’t. Just as there is in the shaving community.

However, if we are just talking about the generalizations of sub compact firearms? The merits & cons of just sub compact’s themselves and not interject the large and diverse dynamics of individual preference?

The HK 2000sk is a sub compact, yes? And you asked the question of “why is it not as popular as other sub compacts?

One good reason that someone posted here, was the fact that they run a bit more expensive than many others. That sounds like a very probable reason to me.

However, we can’t believe out of the huge popularity of sub’s and micros like the G43, 43X, P365, or even sub’s like the G26, that price is the ONLY reason.

So, I will present what I believe as one of the major reasons again as my personal opinion has not changed. While the P2000sk is a HK sun compact, it is too fat, too heavy, too big, too expensive, and has too many protruding bumps and sharp edges on its frame and slide. It’s singular larger overall girth, isn’t desirable for MOST, when compared to other, smaller, thinner, lighter, smoother edges, of competing compacts that still carry the same or more of a round count. Plain & simple.

Are there some who have baseball mitts for hands who would benefit from it? Yes, of course, never say never, but we are simply speaking on the generalizations for the wide, sweltering mass of the gun carry community, not the what if’s and the woulda, shoulda, coulda’s of the minority of individualism.

You just said it earlier in a post yourself. You have large hands; and it took you a minute to learn to proficiently shoot and carry a sub 1” pistol?

So while a dude with large hands like yourself could benefit from an HK P2000sk, your preferred carry pistol is the diminutive and very small, G43?

Talk about blowing the dynamics of individualism out of the water? You are a test subject my friend, for all those pistolero’s out there who are stuck in their own ways and closed opinions to the reality of “where there’s a will there’s a way.”

It is I who envy you. You would be comfortable carrying the bucket of a sub compact in the P2000sk and just as comfortable carrying the horrifyingly small for large hands G43. Where as I on the other hand, while I have really fat hands, they aren’t considered large or small hands. Just the rum of the mill average sized palms, but with shorter fingers.

I wouldn’t like the smallness of the G43 with my bottom pinky finger hanging off and I wouldn’t want to carry the bulk of an HK sub compact. If I wanted that kind of bulk? I would just move up to a compact like the bit longer HK 2000 or G19.

But again, this is all, just my personal opinion made from my own, very individualistic perceptions that has been shaped by my own personal experiences and perspectives.

Ymmv. :)

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
@joel … in response to your, “lack of love & admiration query”, I offer you my default, People like (or loathe) what they like statement.

That said, perhaps I, via James Williams, may help push you over the, “The more I look into it, the more I want one” edge 😬.

Two of my takeways from the following J. Williams article are:

#1, HK, unlike many firearms manufacturers, rarely if ever offers civilians new model, flavors of the week firearms for the mere purpose of making $s, but rather, responds to the needs/requests of military & LEO organizations. Only after much, much research, design & implementation, do these models find their way into the civilian market.

#2, In the end, one really does get what they pay for 🤗

From the success of the USP series, came the P2000. Originally designed for the German Customs organization, it was basically a requirement for an updated, more ergonomic version of the USP Compact, contoured for carry, adding a customizable grip and replacing the proprietary mounting rail with the one specific to a light they requested. Beyond securing this contract, it was the P2000, along with a number of the later introduced P2000SK as well as USP Compact LEM, that won the DHS/ICE contract discussed previously; a massive contract for the company. For that contract and for US civilian importation, the mounting rail was modified again to what was termed the “industry standard”, allowing access to a much wider range of products.

Though rarely seen and extremely unusual is the original design request from German Customs. They wanted the LEM variant, which in Germany is referred to as CDA or Combat Defense Action, but oddly enough they also wanted a spurred hammer, side mounted safety lever and a rear mounted decocking lever, all three normally associated with DA/SA operation. Apparently, if you place a large enough order, HK will put any additional safety points on your pistol, regardless of how unusual they are. Below is a cutaway drawing of that specific variant. Though the side mounted safety lever is omitted to not block the internal components, clearly seen is the spurred hammer, LEM components and decocking lever. Also seen is the unique rail point, designed for the German issue light.

Once specifically unique item added to the P2000 and P2000SK pistols that were delivered to the DHS/ICE contract was the inclusion of a small transponder chip into the left side of the steel insert of the grip frame. This can be seen in the photo of the cutaway training guns below. This chip served as an electronic gun data book, assessable from a PDA. It is unclear how extensively this option was exercised, but it was in the statement of work, so HK provided it.

Other updates that were incorporated with the P2000 series included adding rubber base plates for the magazines. This helped dissipate energy during a magazine drop during reloads, thus extending the life of the magazines, as well as aiding in passing the Drop Test requirements described earlier.

Within the slide, a minor upgrade came in the form of a polymer buffer that works in concert with the extractor spring. It reinforces that spring, reducing its wear and providing more force against the extractor, while also preventing the extractor from over extension.

Also, and rather interesting, is that all P2000 pistols have the ability to accept an optional retro-fit magazine disconnect kit. If you look inside the right side of the receiver, you will clearly see the shelf and mounting point. This design, popular with US Department of Corrections, where fear that an inmate may get a hold of an officer’s pistol, locks the action of the pistol when the magazine is removed. Therefore, in a situation where an officer was about to lose control of his weapon, he need only to release the magazine to render his weapon inoperable. Of note, HK created a somewhat less refined version of this for a previous contract for USP pistols for the Department of Corrections, but instead of preventing the trigger bar from moving like in the P2000, in the USP retrofit, it had a bar that went over the sear, blocking the hammer’s forward movement. HK designers moved away from this design when creating it for the P2000, as they found that over time the USP design caused more pressure on the leading edge of the sear against the flat main spring, and as such, a higher failure rate of the flat main spring.

As part of the contouring of the P2000 series came the removal of a side mounted safety and decocker for DA/SA and in its place was a rear mounted decocker, which when activated, forces the sear out of its contact point with the hammer. Also, different on the P2000 series was a lack of modularity, in the fact that no longer was the base pistol capable of being converted between DA/SA and LEM (it can be done, but not approved by HK). With different frames, you are either left with the choice of one or the other.

Along the contouring line also came and update to the grips, with a new side grip design that carried over to the MP7 production and a removable and exchangeable rear grip panel, allowing the shooter to customize the grip size to one of four sizes. With this customization also came the recognition of a requirement for ambidextrous use, and the incorporation of a slide release now mounted on the right side of the weapon. Of note, HK recommends that you do not remove the right side slide release for normal maintenance. It is not fitted into a steel insert, only polymer, and repeated removal will loosen the tolerances, resulting in a “rattle” of that part against the weapon.

( Notes from the USP, P2000, HK45 and P30 Armorer Course... - https://www.hkpro.com/threads/notes-from-the-usp-p2000-hk45-and-p30-armorer-course-part-2.221991/ )

A clever solution to the aforementioned offside ambi-slide release rattle is to slip & snug a small length of black heat shrink tubing onto (the removed) release.

A gratuitous shot of the Three Horsemen (& one hybrid) of The Apocalypse…

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
@joel … in response to your, “lack of love & admiration query”, I offer you my default, People like (and abhor) what they like statement.

That said, perhaps I, via James Williams, may help push you over the, “The more I look into it, the more I want one” edge 😬.

#1, HK, unlike many firearms manufacturers, rarely if ever offers civilians new model, flavors of the week firearms for the mere purpose of making $s, but rather, responds to the needs/requests of military & LEO organizations. Only after much, much research, design & implementation, do these models find their way into the civilian market.

From the success of the USP series, came the P2000. Originally designed for the German Customs organization, it was basically a requirement for an updated, more ergonomic version of the USP Compact, contoured for carry, adding a customizable grip and replacing the proprietary mounting rail with the one specific to a light they requested. Beyond securing this contract, it was the P2000, along with a number of the later introduced P2000SK as well as USP Compact LEM, that won the DHS/ICE contract discussed previously; a massive contract for the company. For that contract and for US civilian importation, the mounting rail was modified again to what was termed the “industry standard”, allowing access to a much wider range of products.

Though rarely seen and extremely unusual is the original design request from German Customs. They wanted the LEM variant, which in Germany is referred to as CDA or Combat Defense Action, but oddly enough they also wanted a spurred hammer, side mounted safety lever and a rear mounted decocking lever, all three normally associated with DA/SA operation. Apparently, if you place a large enough order, HK will put any additional safety points on your pistol, regardless of how unusual they are. Below is a cutaway drawing of that specific variant. Though the side mounted safety lever is omitted to not block the internal components, clearly seen is the spurred hammer, LEM components and decocking lever. Also seen is the unique rail point, designed for the German issue light.

Once specifically unique item added to the P2000 and P2000SK pistols that were delivered to the DHS/ICE contract was the inclusion of a small transponder chip into the left side of the steel insert of the grip frame. This can be seen in the photo of the cutaway training guns below. This chip served as an electronic gun data book, assessable from a PDA. It is unclear how extensively this option was exercised, but it was in the statement of work, so HK provided it.

Other updates that were incorporated with the P2000 series included adding rubber base plates for the magazines. This helped dissipate energy during a magazine drop during reloads, thus extending the life of the magazines, as well as aiding in passing the Drop Test requirements described earlier.

Within the slide, a minor upgrade came in the form of a polymer buffer that works in concert with the extractor spring. It reinforces that spring, reducing its wear and providing more force against the extractor, while also preventing the extractor from over extension.

Also, and rather interesting, is that all P2000 pistols have the ability to accept an optional retro-fit magazine disconnect kit. If you look inside the right side of the receiver, you will clearly see the shelf and mounting point. This design, popular with US Department of Corrections, where fear that an inmate may get a hold of an officer’s pistol, locks the action of the pistol when the magazine is removed. Therefore, in a situation where an officer was about to lose control of his weapon, he need only to release the magazine to render his weapon inoperable. Of note, HK created a somewhat less refined version of this for a previous contract for USP pistols for the Department of Corrections, but instead of preventing the trigger bar from moving like in the P2000, in the USP retrofit, it had a bar that went over the sear, blocking the hammer’s forward movement. HK designers moved away from this design when creating it for the P2000, as they found that over time the USP design caused more pressure on the leading edge of the sear against the flat main spring, and as such, a higher failure rate of the flat main spring.

As part of the contouring of the P2000 series came the removal of a side mounted safety and decocker for DA/SA and in its place was a rear mounted decocker, which when activated, forces the sear out of its contact point with the hammer. Also, different on the P2000 series was a lack of modularity, in the fact that no longer was the base pistol capable of being converted between DA/SA and LEM (it can be done, but not approved by HK). With different frames, you are either left with the choice of one or the other.

Along the contouring line also came and update to the grips, with a new side grip design that carried over to the MP7 production and a removable and exchangeable rear grip panel, allowing the shooter to customize the grip size to one of four sizes. With this customization also came the recognition of a requirement for ambidextrous use, and the incorporation of a slide release now mounted on the right side of the weapon. Of note, HK recommends that you do not remove the right side slide release for normal maintenance. It is not fitted into a steel insert, only polymer, and repeated removal will loosen the tolerances, resulting in a “rattle” of that part against the weapon.

(TEXAS - https://www.hkpro.com/threads/notes-from-the-usp-p2000-hk45-and-p30-armorer-course-part-2.221991/https://www.hkpro.com/threads/notes-from-the-usp-p2000-hk45-and-p30-armorer-course-part-2.221991/)

A clever solution to the aforementioned offside ambi-slide release rattle is to slip & snug a small length of black heat shrink tubing onto (the removed) release.
Very interesting article. Even my artist brane was able to get most of the engineering explanation-ing outta that.

My only problem with this whole thread is that now I want to shoot an HK.... And I fear that will lead to coveting!

I definitely agree there. There is always going to be reality of ymmv for any subset of folks in the firearms community of what works for them or doesn’t. Just as there is in the shaving community.

However, if we are just talking about the generalizations of sub compact firearms? The merits & cons of just sub compact’s themselves and not interject the large and diverse dynamics of individual preference?

The HK 2000sk is a sub compact, yes? And you asked the question of “why is it not as popular as other sub compacts?

One good reason that someone posted here, was the fact that they run a bit more expensive than many others. That sounds like a very probable reason to me.

However, we can’t believe out of the huge popularity of sub’s and micros like the G43, 43X, P365, or even sub’s like the G26, that price is the ONLY reason.

So, I will present what I believe as one of the major reasons again as my personal opinion has not changed. While the P2000sk is a HK sun compact, it is too fat, too heavy, too big, too expensive, and has too many protruding bumps and sharp edges on its frame and slide. It’s singular larger overall girth, isn’t desirable for MOST, when compared to other, smaller, thinner, lighter, smoother edges, of competing compacts that still carry the same or more of a round count. Plain & simple.

Are there some who have baseball mitts for hands who would benefit from it? Yes, of course, never say never, but we are simply speaking on the generalizations for the wide, sweltering mass of the gun carry community, not the what if’s and the woulda, shoulda, coulda’s of the minority of individualism.

You just said it earlier in a post yourself. You have large hands; and it took you a minute to learn to proficiently shoot and carry a sub 1” pistol?

So while a dude with large hands like yourself could benefit from an HK P2000sk, your preferred carry pistol is the diminutive and very small, G43?

Talk about blowing the dynamics of individualism out of the water? You are a test subject my friend, for all those pistolero’s out there who are stuck in their own ways and closed opinions to the reality of “where there’s a will there’s a way.”

It is I who envy you. You would be comfortable carrying the bucket of a sub compact in the P2000sk and just as comfortable carrying the horrifyingly small for large hands G43. Where as I on the other hand, while I have really fat hands, they aren’t considered large or small hands. Just the rum of the mill average sized palms, but with shorter fingers.

I wouldn’t like the smallness of the G43 with my bottom pinky finger hanging off and I wouldn’t want to carry the bulk of an HK sub compact. If I wanted that kind of bulk? I would just move up to a compact like the bit longer HK 2000 or G19.

But again, this is all, just my personal opinion made from my own, very individualistic perceptions that has been shaped by my own personal experiences and perspectives.

Ymmv. :)

Some solid points as always - but….

1. I don’t buy your argument about size, weight. The P2000SK isn‘t that thick, heavy or large. It’s about the same width as a Glock 26 or a 3” 1911 like a Kimber Ultra Carry. It’s 1oz lighter than a Kimber Ultra II, but only 2.5oz heavier than a G26. Easier and more comfortable to conceal than a 3” 1911 (slightly shorter) but has just enough of a grip to hang three fingers on, unlike the G26. Sure, it’s not as tiny as the new micro 9‘s, but with how effective modern 380 ACP ammo is, you could continue down the size slope and argue a P365 or a G43 is a brick compared to a Ruger LCP max, or a .75” thick sup 10oz Kahr P380. Yes, a P365 is easier to carry than a P2000SK, but I don’t think it’s much harder to carry than a G26, and certainly not more difficult to pack than a 3” 1911, of which there is far more interest.

2. Not sure I buy the cost argument either. The HK is more than a Glock, full stop… but at ~$200-250 more, it’s not THAT much more. Consider the $ in ammo a shooter interested in the hobby enough to post on the internet regularly will spend running through a gun throughout its lifetime. The ammo cost will far outweigh the gun. Also, consider the interest on the internet for 3” 1911’s and variants like the Springfield EMP, which are heavier, harder to carry, hold less ammo and are far more expensive than the HK. I know those are not polymer framed guns, but the fact remains, there is a market for guns slightly larger than a G26, that are over $1k. Heck, a polymer Ruger LCR in .357 magnum is more $ than the H&K. I know it’s a completely different class of gun - but the point is, there are lots of “odd ducks” out there in the P2000SK price range and beyond that get far more chatter and love than the HK.

3. RE: me learning to shoot the G43. It’s been almost 7 years of shooting, and at least 14k rounds through that gun, and I’d bet a good deal of money, if I put a P2000SK in my hands, did a few evenings of dry firing while watching the TV and ran ~500 rounds through it to get in the groove, in a week or less I could shoot better with it, than the G43. I am stubborn to a fault, and refused to let that G43 get the best of me, but i’m the exception - not the norm. It’s also why I bought a 340PD as I was looking for a new mountain to summit.

4. A compact like a G19 you mention is considerably longer (1 inch) and taller (1/2 inch) than the P2000SK. That really puts you in a different class of gun. I see the P2000SK as a G26 most folks can get all their fingers around, that’s safer to carry vs a striker fired gun more than anything else. With that - time to head to the gun shop to check it out!

OkieStubble

@joel … in response to your, “lack of love & admiration query”, I offer you my default, People like (or loathe) what they like statement.

( Notes from the USP, P2000, HK45 and P30 Armorer Course... - https://www.hkpro.com/threads/notes-from-the-usp-p2000-hk45-and-p30-armorer-course-part-2.221991/ )

A gratuitous shot of the Three Horsemen (& one hybrid) of The Apocalypse…

This was an awesome and very informative post. I love this place. To add a concurrance to this post, if you lined up every single Micro or compact and laid them all down in front of me and said, you can only pick one and you have to use it like a full sized duty weapon and take it into harms way?

I would most likely choose the HK P2000sk or the excellent VP9SK without even a second thought. :)

OkieStubble

Some solid points as always - but….

1. I don’t buy your argument about size, weight.

This is why we all can easily fall into a death cycle of endless debate. Because it’s all semantics when it comes to our own definitions and personal perspectives on size and weight. The truths of our own perspectives; care not, if we buy into each other’s pre- determined or pre-set perspectives we have settled on. Sometimes there doesn’t have to be a wrong or right. Sometimes, both sides can be right, even though different and sometimes both sides can be wrong. As long as we can see each other’s good points? How can either of us go wrong? :)

The P2000SK isn‘t that thick, heavy or large. It’s about the same width as a Glock 26 or a 3” 1911 like a Kimber Ultra Carry. It’s 1oz lighter than a Kimber Ultra II, but only 2.5oz heavier than a G26. Easier and more comfortable to conceal than a 3” 1911 (slightly shorter) but has just enough of a grip to hang three fingers on, unlike the G26. Sure, it’s not as tiny as the new micro 9‘s, but with how effective modern 380 ACP ammo is, you could continue down the size slope and argue a P365 or a G43 is a brick compared to a Ruger LCP max, or a .75” thick sup 10oz Kahr P380. Yes, a P365 is easier to carry than a P2000SK, but I don’t think it’s much harder to carry than a G26, and certainly not more difficult to pack than a 3” 1911, of which there is far more interest.

Did you not see an earlier post of mine which conversed about this very thing? On paper, the 0.87” of width on my G43X’s slide, doesn’t sound or look very much different than the 1.0” width of my G19. Sticking either of them AIWB in the front of your pants may not be much different to your personal perception, but it is to mine?
Again, for the sake of a mindless never ending debate when it comes to our differences? If we keep the game ball confined to the field of generalizations with the way the pendulum swings in the largest percentage of the carry community? That pendulum sir, swings more to the sides of my points then it does yours? Just saying.

2. Not sure I buy the cost argument either. The HK is more than a Glock, full stop… but at ~$200-250 more, it’s not THAT much more. Consider the $ in ammo a shooter interested in the hobby enough to post on the internet regularly will spend running through a gun throughout its lifetime. The ammo cost will far outweigh the gun. Also, consider the interest on the internet for 3” 1911’s and variants like the Springfield EMP, which are heavier, harder to carry, hold less ammo and are far more expensive than the HK. I know those are not polymer framed guns, but the fact remains, there is a market for guns slightly larger than a G26, that are over $1k. Heck, a polymer Ruger LCR in .357 magnum is more $ than the H&K. I know it’s a completely different class of gun - but the point is, there are lots of “odd ducks” out there in the P2000SK price range and beyond that get far more chatter and love than the HK.

So, if we consider your points Joel that,

1. You don’t buy the cost argument.

2. There’s not much difference in sizes or weight of the P2000sk versus a G43X or P365.

3. What is it then, do you think, explains the large disparity of the lack of popularity of the P2000sk versus the overwhelming popularity to carry the other competing brands?

3. RE: me learning to shoot the G43. It’s been almost 7 years of shooting, and at least 14k rounds through that gun, and I’d bet a good deal of money, if I put a P2000SK in my hands, did a few evenings of dry firing while watching the TV and ran ~500 rounds through it to get in the groove, in a week or less I could shoot better with it, than the G43.
I’m absolutely positive, I could shoot the HK P2000sk better then my G43X right now, without any practice. I didn’t realize the goalposts in our discussion has moved from popularity of carry to what shoots better? I guarantee, I can take a Walther PDP and shoot circles around an HK P2000sk and I have never owned either. :)

But if we stick to the subject matter of the popularity of other compacts compared to the HKP2000sk that you asked about? My points have not changed.

I am stubborn to a fault,

Yes you are…. ;). But I personally think that makes for exciting and educational debate and an active shooter forum. But that’s just me. I think I might have just accidentally confessed to being as stubborn?

No, can’t be. Not me. :)

and refused to let that G43 get the best of me, but i’m the exception - not the norm. It’s also why I bought a 340PD as I was looking for a new mountain to summit.

4. A compact like a G19 you mention is considerably longer (1 inch) and taller (1/2 inch) than the P2000SK. That really puts you in a different class of gun. I see the P2000SK as a G26 most folks can get all their fingers around, that’s safer to carry vs a striker fired gun more than anything else. With that - time to head to the gun shop to check it out!

This is where we will have to respectfully and politely disagree. I love HK. But other then the length of grip and barrel matching up with a G26? The 26 is night & day more concealable with better comfort of carry over the HK 2000sk. But again, everyone’s perceptions are different. And that’s ok. :)

I don't know how to cut and paste parts of posts but I have some comments to address some of the points above.
The difference in width and girth of the 2000sk compared to other sub compacts: seemingly insignificant to some by the numbers, but important to others who want to "shove a gun down the front of their pants"

Carry OWB and this debate becomes moot in my view. I don't have a dog in this fight.

Ok so you still have 5 extra ounces to deal with. Doesn't seem to bother me with a good belt and holster, plus I carry a horizontal cross draw fixed blade on the other side for balance. lol

Maybe the 5oz matters down your pants, IDK. Maybe OWB fixes that too. I got enough down there anyway.

I'm most likely to have 5oz. of extra dirt on me someplace anyway.

Maybe the extra 5oz is mitigated by the fact that the extra heft, makes the pistol feel more solid and easy to shoot.

Which is more concealable? I guess numbers don't lie, but the HK is concealable enough. I carry mine OWB with a T shirt. Never a problem.

You would think friendly gun guy over the span of several decades would say to me, "hey bro, you gun is showing". And I'm reaching up and bending over. Never a word

I think printing is largely a myth. I know, bad guys with trained eyes are going to shoot you first? On a guess? I check people out all the time, might see some kind of bulge, but is it a phone, glasses?

For the experts, do guns conceal better on fat or thin people?

Why no love for HK then, if cost and size are not factors?

How about no street cred? Don't laugh, I think it's real.

Now I know that to serious gun owners this is silly.

I worked for many, many LEOs over my career. The rank and file mostly carried Glocks. The Captains, Chiefs, and Commanders carried HKs.

You know the difference between a cowboy and a cop?

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
...if you lined up every single Micro or compact and laid them all down in front of me and said, you can only pick one and you have to use it like a full sized duty weapon and take it into harms way?

I would most likely choose the HK P2000sk or the excellent VP9SK without even a second thought. :)
And I'd opt for a P30SK, if for no other reason than I could reholster with my thumb atop A hammer 😊

I believe the story's been told here before, but the wife & I purchased a P30SK for our son's 21st birthday because one, he really like my P30 & secondly, he had just begun the arduous process of getting his CC permit back home in The Land of Leaving (aka, IL).

He & his wife drove out for Christmas, we opened presents & he was thrilled. Headed to the Club the next day & before shooting, I told him that if he had a preference for the 30 (over the 30SK), it was his for the taking -- truth be told, I was hoping that he'd leave the P30 with me. We took turns putting the two light LEM 9mms through their paces & just a couple magazines into the SK, I began hoping that he'd leave the SK with me. That's how much more comfortable & accurate the SK was in my hands.

Don't care to get into the size & grip length discussion, though y'all do make a compelling argument for carrying an NAA 22 mag!😜 Why not just buy some blousier shirts?? All jesting aside, 13 & 15-round factory mags are available for the P30/VP9 SKs & though I have no experience with the 15-rd, the 13-rd mag turns an excellent P30SK into an even better, more accurate shooting pistol. On the rare occasions when I carry the P2000SK 357, it is with P2000 (X-Grip Adaptor) mags & standard floor plates.

I’ll just put these right here :)
AFCB6AE6-60D6-43CC-B276-73A365DCEC27.jpeg
AC4536C2-30C7-473B-85EB-E1F39F36B43D.jpeg

Fondled a P2000SK next to a G26 and a G19 today at my LGS. The P2000SK was impressive - build quality was top notch, sights were lovely, and it was easy to take down - not Glock easy, but close enough. While it was taller than a G26, the G26 was a literal brick and was its full width throughout the entire gun - where as the HK was the same width at its widest point, but had a nice taper in the slide and grip, which allow it to hug ones body better. A G43X is thinner, but it's also quite a bit taller. I think I could conceal the P2000SK without much of an issue - but with that said, do I like it enough to put up with the substantial size/weight penalty over my G43? No. Will I purchase a P2000SK? Very likely. If I could put more than 2 guns on my CCW Permit, provided it shoots as well as it looks/feels - I think i'd carry a P2000SK over a G26, G19, etc.

I did absolutely notice a grip issue with the stock P2000SK mags though, and can see how taking the extended lip to a belt sander would take the P2000SK to the next level. My LGS has one available to rent at their indoor range, so in the next few trips to the range, i'll probably grab it to play with a bit.

Overall though - seems like a mighty fine handgun. I'd be proud to own one.

At first you gotta get used to the mag release. Couple different ways to use it. Give it a chance it may grow on you, even to the point where you prefer it.

Lots of folks do the “enhanced magazine release” mod where they swap out to a bit bigger release. I didn’t feel the need.

At first you gotta get used to the mag release. Couple different ways to use it. Give it a chance it may grow on you, even to the point where you prefer it.

Lots of folks do the “enhanced magazine release” mod where they swap out to a bit bigger release. I didn’t feel the need.

Mag release isn't an issue for me. I love it on my P7M8.

OkieStubble

Fondled a P2000SK next to a G26 and a G19 today at my LGS. The P2000SK was impressive - build quality was top notch, sights were lovely, and it was easy to take down - not Glock easy, but close enough. While it was taller than a G26, the G26 was a literal brick and was its full width throughout the entire gun - where as the HK was the same width at its widest point, but had a nice taper in the slide and grip, which allow it to hug ones body better. A G43X is thinner, but it's also quite a bit taller. I think I could conceal the P2000SK without much of an issue - but with that said, do I like it enough to put up with the substantial size/weight penalty over my G43? No. Will I purchase a P2000SK? Very likely. If I could put more than 2 guns on my CCW Permit, provided it shoots as well as it looks/feels - I think i'd carry a P2000SK over a G26, G19, etc.

I did absolutely notice a grip issue with the stock P2000SK mags though, and can see how taking the extended lip to a belt sander would take the P2000SK to the next level. My LGS has one available to rent at their indoor range, so in the next few trips to the range, i'll probably grab it to play with a bit.

Overall though - seems like a mighty fine handgun. I'd be proud to own one.

Pretty sure I'll pick up an HK VP9SK for myself one day. HK's are awesome pistols, but I prefer the striker over the hammer.

:)

HK pistols are superb. I have owned a number of different models over the years, starting with a P7. They are more costly than a Glock or S&W. Often, their triggers are not as good or require a break-in period, being heavy and gritty on some models. They feel plasticy, too. However, they are overall great quality and shoot better than almost anything out there.

Top Bottom